Montana State Postgame Thread

I was pretty deep into happy hour by tip so I wasn't dialed in but what I did like and notice is an overall appearance of patience. Not patience in the sense of just standing around passing ball waiting to jack a 3.....but ball movement and patience and when the opportunity was there our players all were ready to attack or make the extra pass. Loved our defense of course. Holding any team to 35 points is very well done. 

Looking forward to Wed/Sunday this week against better teams/talent. 

9 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Negatives, because after 9 marriages you feel obligated to find fault in everything.

• FT Shooting.  Barely 50% even though De'Ron hit both of his.
  • 3 Point Shooting.  I'm cringing if it's not Fitzner, McRoberts, or Phinisee shooting it.
  • Al seemed to be channeling his inner Devonte tonight.  Totally opposite of the under control guy we saw most of last year.  
  • Rebounding from the starting unit, other than Juwan,

Anderson makes you cringe too? 

21 minutes ago, slojoe said:

Our half court offense works much better when we get the ball into Juwan, Evan, or D"Ron.  All three can do serious damage in the paint, and they are all willing and skilled passers out of the paint.

We still can't hit 3's.

What happened to McRoberts?

Read that Zach was suffering from a tight back over the last 3 to 4 weeks according to CAM and that he wasn’t feeling the best after 7 minutes into the game so CAM took him out. Zach was sitting on the bench watching the team so I’m guessing it was precautionary.

Not much you can tell from Montana St., but wow what a strong defensive performance. I am in the camp that Davis is a bad fit I’m today’s game, but with that said I was so happy to see his success tonight. You could see in some of the off/pre season videos he was in that he is not only a great kid, but one who loves IU.

The Hunter news really stinks, first of course for the kid, but as far as the team it’s tough too because I think IU is going to struggle offensively at times this year and that’s one more weapon IU will be down. 

51 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Here is our post game report card as an all-time record was threatened at the Hall.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/montana-state-at-indiana-the-report-card/

Wow,  I would have liked having you as a professor grading my stuff at IU.   Just kidding.  Well, kinda, sorta.  xD

Good grades.  I can't wait to see how you grade IU after the Marquette game. 

Keep up the good work.

3 hours ago, slojoe said:

Our half court offense works much better when we get the ball into Juwan, Evan, or D"Ron.  All three can do serious damage in the paint, and they are all willing and skilled passers out of the paint.

We still can't hit 3's.

What happened to McRoberts?

Based on the saber metric conversations held in other threads, we’re in a lot of trouble if we can’t hit 3’s

😗

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Based on the saber metric conversations held in other threads, we’re in a lot of trouble if we can’t hit 3’s

😗

Yeah, I’m a little worried about the offense when the competition starts getting better. Guys can certainly improve and settle and get comfortable as the season moves along, but there isn’t a guard on the team that I would call a pure, natural shooter. It was encouraging to see Phinisee shoot it well, but I think our guards are going to be very inconsistent in that department this year. 

i was very impressed with the defense!  Yes the competition was weak, but still obviously light years ahead of last year at this time.  

the announcer last night touched on this, but i really really hate the rules change with the flagrant 1 that was called on Smith. The game stoppage to review the play is one thing.  And then 2 shots and the ball after a basicly benign play of two players battling for a rebound?  There will be games when calls like that will completely change the flow and outcome of games. 

I saw Justin Smith say that they’ve focused on defense A LOT this offseason, in one of the player postgame press conferences that I saw.  He also said that they changed a few things on offense and that guys were still getting comfortable with some of the changes.  I think the offense will come, it may just take a few games and more practice

9 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Here is our post game report card as an all-time record was threatened at the Hall.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/montana-state-at-indiana-the-report-card/

I was present in the Hall and witnessed the 94-29 drubbing of Notre Dame. It was .... satisfying. John Ritter alone outscored the opponent. Parallels? We'll see.

Archived