Marquette Pregame Thread

rbkl

3 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Sounds like a Marquette fan decided to join our forum to talk some smack?  They rank em, we spank em.  Have a nice day

Actually, that was pretty mild smack talk and a nice scouting report, so I'll take it with thanks.  Obviously, he doesn't know a lot about the players outside of the 2-headed monster, but that's to be expected at this stage in the game.  He'll get to know Phinisee, Justin Smith, McBob (hopefully) and others as the game wears on.  I expect a very competitive entertaining game, but yes...I expect an IU win.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Actually, that was pretty mild smack talk and a nice scouting report, so I'll take it with thanks.  Obviously, he doesn't know a lot about the players outside of the 2-headed monster, but that's to be expected at this stage in the game.  He'll get to know Phinisee, Justin Smith, McBob (hopefully) and others as the game wears on.  I expect a very competitive entertaining game, but yes...I expect an IU win.

Yeah true it was more of a scouting report for sure than smack talk, I just was trying to instigate it but it clearly didn't work haha

3 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

So if McBob can’t play, will we see a bigger starting lineup with Phinisee, Langford, Smith, Morgan, and Davis/Fitzner, or a smaller lineup with Phinisee, Green/Durham, Langford, Smith, and Morgan?  I would bet on the latter.

For what it’s worth, I haven’t seen anything indicating McBob won’t play, just speculating with his back strain.

I like the big lineup but I want Green on Markus Howard so I'll go with the smaller version. I really think Green could have a big game defensively and I'd rather not see Rob and Romeo spending too much time and energy guarding Markus. When Markus comes comes out, go big. I expect Zach to play and he would be the second option for guarding Markus.

1 hour ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Yeah true it was more of a scouting report for sure than smack talk, I just was trying to instigate it but it clearly didn't work haha

I probably would have played along but like FKIM01 said, i don't know most of the IU team well enough to do it without sounding like an amateur.  haha      

Besides, it's rude to invade another team's board just to start stuff.   :-)

MileHiiu, I actually did appreciate you linking that.  I was just trying to stay humble, heh.   But it is indeed a pretty awesome new arena.  It's really built on MU's expectations this year... strong team/new home.   It all feeds of one another!

6 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I know they do and most basketball fans do but what about the students who look at the name of the program we are playing.

My opinion is that is the job of the staff and school to motivate the students to get excited and to incentivize them to buy into an exciting and fun environment. Some coaches and programs just do a better job making attending the games fun and the place to be. Maybe that is doing some type of promotions or bring exciting things for them besides just basketball at the games I don’t know but let’s be honest...just basketball won’t be enough to turn these kids now days. Don’t ask me what the answer is but whether it’s bringing in artist to perform during halftime or after the game or it’s pep rallies etc but I don’t think in this day and age mellinials are going to sell out and bring the ruckus without winning in a major way or the school creating a different environment for the students.

26 minutes ago, dgambill said:

My opinion is that is the job of the staff and school to motivate the students to get excited and to incentivize them to buy into an exciting and fun environment. Some coaches and programs just do a better job making attending the games fun and the place to be. Maybe that is doing some type of promotions or bring exciting things for them besides just basketball at the games I don’t know but let’s be honest...just basketball won’t be enough to turn these kids now days. Don’t ask me what the answer is but whether it’s bringing in artist to perform during halftime or after the game or it’s pep rallies etc but I don’t think in this day and age mellinials are going to sell out and bring the ruckus without winning in a major way or the school creating a different environment for the students.

I guess it is different today because it wouldn't matter who we were playing I would be at the game if I were a student.  I have went to the NCAA tournament 6 times for the 1st/2nd round games when it was at the old RCA Dome and I went because I love college basketball.  All but once IU was  there so I went to just watch college basketball because I love the environment of the tournament.

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess it is different today because it wouldn't matter who we were playing I would be at the game if I were a student.  I have went to the NCAA tournament 6 times for the 1st/2nd round games when it was at the old RCA Dome and I went because I love college basketball.  All but once IU was  there so I went to just watch college basketball because I love the environment of the tournament.

It's not an issue with the students. I was at the USI game. The lower level student section was packed. The alumni had a poor showing. The balcony was empty, alumni and students both.

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The students don’t need anyone to tell them that a non-conference game against Marquette is a big game, especially considering that they’re now ranked.  AH will be packed and loud.

On a different note, Archie said that Green and McBob will be game-time decisions tomorrow.

7 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

The students don’t need anyone to tell them that a non-conference game against Marquette is a big game, especially considering that they’re now ranked.  AH will be packed and loud.

On a different note, Archie said that Green and McBob will be game-time decisions tomorrow.

We need both of them because I feel like those two will be guarding Howard.

1 hour ago, The Daily Hoosier said:
IU is going to have their hands full dealing with a special talent tomorrow night. His Dad will feel right at home, at least until tip-off.

Tom Crean offered so many, that I completely forgot about Howard. But, now, thanks to you, I remember.  Thanks for the reminder, and great article.

19 hours ago, MU MKE said:

MileHiiu, I actually did appreciate you linking that.  I was just trying to stay humble, heh.   But it is indeed a pretty awesome new arena.  It's really built on MU's expectations this year... strong team/new home.   It all feeds of one another!

I think by now, if you have not already discovered.... Hoosier Sports Nation is a very welcoming community for fans from other fan boards.  In fact one of our regulars is a Purdue fan.

He knows how to handle himself when coming into "enemy" territory.  And it sounds as  if you do as well.

Therefore, I would like to extend an invitation to you to join us on Wednesday for our Marquette game thread, if inclined or able to do so. 

3 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Indiana opens as 8 point favorites for tomorrow nights game

That comes as a surprise to me.  I realize it will be a home game.  Just did not think the margin would be that great.   Should be a great game.   MAKE SOME NOISE HOOSIERS!

18 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Indiana opens as 8 point favorites for tomorrow nights game

Not surprised. I thought we would be between -6 and -7, and I expect it to close around 6 by game time. I think heavy money will come in on an 8-point Top 25 underdog vs. unranked opponent who hasn't played anyone yet and missed the post-season entirely last year. 

IMO, one thing we have not yet seen from this team is  the foot on the gas for 40 minutes. Morgan has only played 22 minutes in each of the first two games. We've seen a lot of shuffling around of lineups/rotations because we've had that luxury. I won't be surprised to see Archie stick with what's working tomorrow.

Preview Time

Game will be broadcast on FS1 tomorrow at 8:30pm ET

Vegas: IU -8

ESPN: 58% chance of IU victory

KenPom: IU: #24, Marquette: #28. 64% chance of IU victory, predicts final score of IU 77, Marquette 73

IU Scouting Report

image.png.87b9113e15b79704f4a7ec9e978c3ec3.png

Marquette Scouting Report

image.png.658bdcc25c1fc02ab91d36871bf8de38.png

Both teams have played two cupcakes, so these have to be taken with a grain of salt. Interesting themes though:

• FG% allowed - both teams are in the top 5 in the nation
  • Turnovers - IU has the tenth best turnover rate on defense, meanwhile Marquette is ranked 259th in turnovers given up. Will be interesting to see if our defense can create a lot of turnovers and break the game open
  • 3P% and FT% - our clear weak points through two games and spots where Marquette has the advantage, shooting 6% better from 3 and 26% better from the line.
  • Strength vs Strength - we are top 6 in the country at 69% from 2 pt range, while they are 3rd in the country only giving up 30% on 2s. Will we have success getting into the paint like we did the first two games?

Archived