Marquette Pregame Thread

rbkl

7 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

The spread is already down to IU -5.5 O.o

I honestly think it should be 10.  AH is just that much of an advantage.  I'd honestly favor us by 2-3 if we had Duke at home.  How many times during the Crean era when we had a good team, the Zeller years or Yogis senior year, did we play a decent team at home and not beat the spread by a lot?  I remember blowing out the TarHoles in Crean's last season and we didn't even make the tourney.  They made the national title game.  

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will be happy if, at the end of the game, it’s IU +1. 

Lot’s of excitement surrounding this team but it is still a team that did not qualify for any postseason tournament last year and have added some potentially great freshmen who will be playing in a game against this level of competition for the first time in their lives. Looking forward to seeing who steps up and accepts the challenge. In no way am I thinking that this will be an easy game just because it is in AH. 

Like I said, as long as IU end up on the positive side of the score, I will be happy. View this game as a steppingstone for the young kids, and an affirmation to the older ones that CAM’s system works 

5 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Preview Time

Game will be broadcast on FS1 tomorrow at 8:30pm ET

Vegas: IU -8

ESPN: 58% chance of IU victory

KenPom: IU: #24, Marquette: #28. 64% chance of IU victory, predicts final score of IU 77, Marquette 73

IU Scouting Report

image.png.87b9113e15b79704f4a7ec9e978c3ec3.png

Marquette Scouting Report

image.png.658bdcc25c1fc02ab91d36871bf8de38.png

Both teams have played two cupcakes, so these have to be taken with a grain of salt. Interesting themes though:

• FG% allowed - both teams are in the top 5 in the nation
  • Turnovers - IU has the tenth best turnover rate on defense, meanwhile Marquette is ranked 259th in turnovers given up. Will be interesting to see if our defense can create a lot of turnovers and break the game open
  • 3P% and FT% - our clear weak points through two games and spots where Marquette has the advantage, shooting 6% better from 3 and 26% better from the line.
  • Strength vs Strength - we are top 6 in the country at 69% from 2 pt range, while they are 3rd in the country only giving up 30% on 2s. Will we have success getting into the paint like we did the first two games?

Thanks. I figured our 3 pt D would be pretty good after the last game. We are 11th.

7 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I'm wondering if the weather forecast for tomorrow will have any bearing on the size of the crowd. We are under a winter weather watch with 4"-7" of snow possible.

Is this why i cant find a case of water in town (So Indiana btw) I have a forecast of 1-3 inches. Probably be zero. 

Just now, The Daily Hoosier said:

Agree.  We will likely need to get to 79 just to outscore them.

Each year is different. I get it. Last year Wichita St, Georgia, Depaul....all held them to scores in the 60's. Looking forward to watching. Marquette doesn't play in a venue like Assembly Hall all year long. Some kids struggle with it. Some kids embrace it. I think they struggle tonight.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Each year is different. I get it. Last year Wichita St, Georgia, Depaul....all held them to scores in the 60's. Looking forward to watching. Marquette doesn't play in a venue like Assembly Hall all year long. Some kids struggle with it. Some kids embrace it. I think they struggle tonight.

I'm very concerned about Howard and his big game road performances.  I'll just leave it at -- I hope you are right.  

Archived