Marquette Post game

3 hours ago, PoHoosier said:

I think we are in agreement.  His form is too good to be a low % 3 point shooter for long.  He will figure it out.  Hopefully it's soon instead of the next level.

I went back and watched the game earlier this evening.  Of Romeo's four misses from the arc, two were too strong, one in the corner was just on the right side of the rim...didn't miss by much and the other miss was very deep and on the front rim.  Form looked good to me, so I think he'll adjust.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Hasn’t Schilling been touted as a great skill developer for guards?  One of the few things that’s been kind of disappointing thus far in Archie’s tenure has been the shooting, both from three and from the line, obviously.  If Schilling is as good as advertised, shouldn’t he have a scorer as skilled as Romeo shooting better than he has been?  Obviously there’s a lot of season left, but I think that’s something to keep an eye on.

I have seen him play up close for four years, and I expect his shooting to come online sometime this year.  Especially if teams start to sag on him.

6 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Hasn’t Schilling been touted as a great skill developer for guards?  One of the few things that’s been kind of disappointing thus far in Archie’s tenure has been the shooting, both from three and from the line, obviously.  If Schilling is as good as advertised, shouldn’t he have a scorer as skilled as Romeo shooting better than he has been?  Obviously there’s a lot of season left, but I think that’s something to keep an eye on.

I think it's too early to be saying he is a poor shooter. Let's see how the next 3 games compare with the last 3. 

7 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I think it's too early to be saying he is a poor shooter. Let's see how the next 3 games compare with the last 3. 

If you take out his 3 point shots, he was 7 for 10 from the field against MU. I dunno, could it be as simple as him adjusting to a different distance for 3s in college?

eta:  That is, if the distance is different. I haven't watched a high school game in 20 years.

1 minute ago, Mac said:

If you take out his 3 point shots, he was 7 for 10 from the field against MU. I dunno, could it be as simple as him adjusting to a different distance for 3s in college?

Many of Romeo's 3 point attempts in high school were well beyond the high school line (several feet), so I don't think distance is an issue.  Quite simply, he's an average 3 point shooter, and I don't see that changing this year.  He is going to 'adjust' to being a 35% shooter, but we need to forget about him being having a 40% or above 3 point percentage.  I's not going to happen.

34 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Many of Romeo's 3 point attempts in high school were well beyond the high school line (several feet), so I don't think distance is an issue.  Quite simply, he's an average 3 point shooter, and I don't see that changing this year.  He is going to 'adjust' to being a 35% shooter, but we need to forget about him being having a 40% or above 3 point percentage.  I's not going to happen.

It doesnt need to happen either.  He is still putting up points and the team is too.  They scored 96 on Marquette.   I dont think scoring for this team will be a problem. 

34 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I see what you’re saying, and knowing how familiar you are with with his game, I’m sure you’re right.  But in my mind, if this is the case, then I’m a little disappointed in the coaching staff.  They should be able to make a kid like Romeo a better shooter than he was coming into IU.  Looking at our shooting woes last season and this season to a lesser extent, it seems like skill development is an area that may need to be improved a bit.  

But as was said above, it’s still early in the season, so that could be an overreaction.  Either way, Romeo is going to score a ton of points no matter what percentage he shoots from three.

23 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I see what you’re saying, and knowing how familiar you are with with his game, I’m sure you’re right.  But in my mind, if this is the case, then I’m a little disappointed in the coaching staff.  They should be able to make a kid like Romeo a better shooter than he was coming into IU.  Looking at our shooting woes last season and this season to a lesser extent, it seems like skill development is an area that may need to be improved a bit.  

But as was said above, it’s still early in the season, so that could be an overreaction.  Either way, Romeo is going to score a ton of points no matter what percentage he shoots from three.

Just asking. Is it the responsibility of the staff to improve an area that needs improvement for the NBA or do you focus on what is best for your team? Romeo does not have to be a great 3pt shooter for us to be successful.  He is a great scorer, finisher. Why not make him even better in those areas? Many times when guys get better from 3 they fall in love with it and forget what truly made them great. I get it if he were more of a threat then he would be unstoppable but if he keeps showing you cant stop me from getting to the basket teams will sag and the 3's will be more open. His driving creates so much more for this team. His drives will make the ok perimeter shooters much better. 

About 20 years ago a guard at Marquette did pretty well for himself without being a great 3pt shooter. I believe he only took 1 or 2 a game and was in the low 30%. He shot well over 50% from 2. Those other shooters with him became great. Since then I think it has worked out for him. 

I do not feel Romeo has to be a great shooter he will improve and I believe when the game is on the line he will rise up and knock down the shots we need him to be. He is an assassin and at this point doing exactly what is needed from him.

18 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Just asking. Is it the responsibility of the staff to improve an area that needs improvement for the NBA or do you focus on what is best for your team? Romeo does not have to be a great 3pt shooter for us to be successful.  He is a great scorer, finisher. Why not make him even better in those areas? Many times when guys get better from 3 they fall in love with it and forget what truly made them great. I get it if he were more of a threat then he would be unstoppable but if he keeps showing you cant stop me from getting to the basket teams will sag and the 3's will be more open. His driving creates so much more for this team. His drives will make the ok perimeter shooters much better. 

About 20 years ago a guard at Marquette did pretty well for himself without being a great 3pt shooter. I believe he only took 1 or 2 a game and was in the low 30%. He shot well over 50% from 2. Those other shooters with him became great. Since then I think it has worked out for him. 

I do not feel Romeo has to be a great shooter he will improve and I believe when the game is on the line he will rise up and knock down the shots we need him to be. He is an assassin and at this point doing exactly what is needed from him.

It absolutely is the responsibility of the staff to improve an area that needs improvement for the NBA when getting him to the NBA was one of their main selling points when recruiting him to IU.  And the argument that improving his three point shooting would be detrimental to the team really doesn’t make any sense.  He’s going to be a stud either way, but that’s no reason to neglect his outside shooting — I doubt the coaching staff is looking at it that way.

Form or not. Natural ability or not. Development or not. 

One of the major influences on what kind of shooter Romeo develops into, what kind of success he has this season, will be the quality of shots he takes. If he is put into positions where he is jacking up forced shots, clearly his shooting percentages will suffer. However, and this is what I think will happen, he takes quality shots within the context of the offense, i think we will be presently surprised with his accuracy. This team has been built with the focus of having multiple kids who can score, in a variety  of ways. I don't think that Romeo will be put into the position where it is necessary for him to hit 3 point shots for us to be competitive or to win games. Unlike past years where our scoring options were limited, Romeo can play this year knowing that he does not have to be the only primary scorer. IMO, this should help him immensely, given the high bball IQ and understanding of the game he seems to have.

9 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Form or not. Natural ability or not. Development or not. 

One of the major influences on what kind of shooter Romeo develops into, what kind of success he has this season, will be the quality of shots he takes. If he is put into positions where he is jacking up forced shots, clearly his shooting percentages will suffer. However, and this is what I think will happen, he takes quality shots within the context of the offense, i think we will be presently surprised with his accuracy. This team has been built with the focus of having multiple kids who can score, in a variety  of ways. I don't think that Romeo will be put into the position where it is necessary for him to hit 3 point shots for us to be competitive or to win games. Unlike past years where our scoring options were limited, Romeo can play this year knowing that he does not have to be the only primary scorer. IMO, this should help him immensely, given the high bball IQ and understanding of the game he seems to have.

This ^^^^

With as explosive as he is, at the college level he shouldn't need to shoot a bunch of catch and shoot threes. What we need him to be is set and square when the ball arrives and be ready for kick outs from the post. Then shoot. If most of his three point attempts came from those circumstances I feel very confident he can shoot between 35-40%. And with other shooters that will be enough to keep the defense from collapsing.

We need another trustworthy shooter to develop though.

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

It absolutely is the responsibility of the staff to improve an area that needs improvement for the NBA when getting him to the NBA was one of their main selling points when recruiting him to IU.  And the argument that improving his three point shooting would be detrimental to the team really doesn’t make any sense.  He’s going to be a stud either way, but that’s no reason to neglect his outside shooting — I doubt the coaching staff is looking at it that way.

I dont agree that's it the responsibility of the staff. They are hired to win games. Doing what Romeo does best will win us games. His 3pt percentage will increase because he will get easier looks. I doubt that the staff just said stop working on perimeter shooting.  He is a player that takes what is given and his 3pt shot will be just fine. Like all players he has room for improvement but I for 1 am not worried about his shot nor is the staff. 

13 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

This ^^^^

With as explosive as he is, at the college level he shouldn't need to shoot a bunch of catch and shoot threes. What we need him to be is set and square when the ball arrives and be ready for kick outs from the post. Then shoot. If most of his three point attempts came from those circumstances I feel very confident he can shoot between 35-40%. And with other shooters that will be enough to keep the defense from collapsing.

We need another trustworthy shooter to develop though.

Well said. He has the ability to kill teams with only taking a couple 3's a game if only to keep them honest

6 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I dont agree that's it the responsibility of the staff. They are hired to win games. Doing what Romeo does best will win us games. His 3pt percentage will increase because he will get easier looks. I doubt that the staff just said stop working on perimeter shooting.  He is a player that takes what is given and his 3pt shot will be just fine. Like all players he has room for improvement but I for 1 am not worried about his shot nor is the staff. 

I bet TJD and Brooks would be surprised to hear that it’s not the staff’s responsibility to help them develop the skills they’ll need to get to the NBA.

9 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Make no mistake about it, he's at IU for his ties in the midwest as a recruiter. Nothing more nothing less, so far he's done a fine job.

18 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I bet TJD and Brooks would be surprised to hear that it’s not the staff’s responsibility to help them develop the skills they’ll need to get to the NBA.

It's part of it and like I said I know they have and I know there is no concern. I dont think anyone realistically thought he would shoot 40% from 3. He will be fine and I don't blame the staff 1 bit

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

It's part of it and like I said I know they have and I know there is no concern. I dont think anyone realistically thought he would shoot 40% from 3. He will be fine and I don't blame the staff 1 bit

Don’t think it was that unrealistic to expect a kid with his scoring ability to shoot around 40% from three.  Like I said, shooting from outside and from the line has been a bit of an issue since Archie got here — not only for Romeo, but for the rest of the team as well.  One of the only things that’s been a little concerning to me.  Hopefully it gets itself worked out.

4 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Don’t think it was that unrealistic to expect a kid with his scoring ability to shoot around 40% from three.  Like I said, shooting from outside and from the line has been a bit of an issue since Archie got here — not only for Romeo, but for the rest of the team as well.  One of the only things that’s been a little concerning to me.  Hopefully it gets itself worked out.

De'Ron Davis is looking like Steve Alford from the line.  :coffee:

12 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I agree with almost all that u are saying other than the 40% part. I think it is unrealistic when that is the weakest part of his game. He will see the best defenders night in and out. As an opposing coach rule 1 keep Romeo out of the paint. If he gets to 40% forget lottery hes a #1 type pick. 

If and when he gets his perimeter shot where it neede to be he has the talent to be in discussion year in and out for NBA MVP

8 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

He didn't even shoot 40% in high school, so yeah, it was unrealistic.

31 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

He didn't even shoot 40% in high school, so yeah, it was unrealistic.

How shooting percentages translate from high school to college has actually always been interesting to me.  I’ve never been able to find a source that compiles high school shooting percentages, but it’s always been my intuition that the higher percentage shots a player takes in a college offense would lead to an increase in the player’s three point percentage by itself.

And like I’ve been saying, you would also expect a coaching staff that excels in skill development to improve a player’s shot, especially a player like Romeo who is already an amazing scorer and has a smooth shooting form.  I think back to the “shot doctor” on Crean’s staff (can’t remember his name) — seems like he worked wonders for a lot of guys, like Vic, Zeisloft, Bielfeldt, Bryant, Troy, RoJo, etc.  I know it took some of those guys a couple of years, but with Romeo’s base talent level, it wasn’t unrealistic to expect him to be a much improved shooter this year IMO.

Archived