Marquette Post game

33 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

How shooting percentages translate from high school to college has actually always been interesting to me.  I’ve never been able to find a source that compiles high school shooting percentages, but it’s always been my intuition that the higher percentage shots a player takes in a college offense would lead to an increase in the player’s three point percentage by itself.

And like I’ve been saying, you would also expect a coaching staff that excels in skill development to improve a player’s shot, especially a player like Romeo who is already an amazing scorer and has a smooth shooting form.  I think back to the “shot doctor” on Crean’s staff (can’t remember his name) — seems like he worked wonders for a lot of guys, like Vic, Zeisloft, Bielfeldt, Bryant, Troy, RoJo, etc.  I know it took some of those guys a couple of years, but with Romeo’s base talent level, it wasn’t unrealistic to expect him to be a much improved shooter this year IMO.

Just my opinion, but it feels to me like you're asking for significant improvement in a short period of time.  The young man is dealing with more than his three point shot.  I mean, it's his first year of college.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Just my opinion, but it feels to me like you're asking for significant improvement in a short period of time.  The young man is dealing with more than his three point shot.  I mean, it's his first year of college.

For sure, I understand the season has just started.  There’s more than enough time for him to settle in and get in a groove.  

42 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

How shooting percentages translate from high school to college has actually always been interesting to me.  I’ve never been able to find a source that compiles high school shooting percentages, but it’s always been my intuition that the higher percentage shots a player takes in a college offense would lead to an increase in the player’s three point percentage by itself.

And like I’ve been saying, you would also expect a coaching staff that excels in skill development to improve a player’s shot, especially a player like Romeo who is already an amazing scorer and has a smooth shooting form.  I think back to the “shot doctor” on Crean’s staff (can’t remember his name) — seems like he worked wonders for a lot of guys, like Vic, Zeisloft, Bielfeldt, Bryant, Troy, RoJo, etc.  I know it took some of those guys a couple of years, but with Romeo’s base talent level, it wasn’t unrealistic to expect him to be a much improved shooter this year IMO.

He has only been on campus for 4 months so that is a short period of time to develop his shot.  I would bet most of the improvement you see is after a hole year in a system and a whole off season of work.  Unfortunately it appears that Romeo will only be here for a year so you won't see that development.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

He has only been on campus for 4 months so that is a short period of time to develop his shot.  I would bet most of the improvement you see is after a hole year in a system and a whole off season of work.  Unfortunately it appears that Romeo will only be here for a year so you won't see that development.

Also a fair point.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Let's hope he decides that he wants to stay one more year.  😁

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Don’t think it was that unrealistic to expect a kid with his scoring ability to shoot around 40% from three.  Like I said, shooting from outside and from the line has been a bit of an issue since Archie got here — not only for Romeo, but for the rest of the team as well.  One of the only things that’s been a little concerning to me.  Hopefully it gets itself worked out.

Your expectations were too high if you thought he was going to shoot 40% from 3. He didn't even do that in high school. Romeo is a streaky shooter that shoots just well enough from 3 to keep the defense honest. He never has been nor will he ever be, a pure shooter. He'll go 3-5 one game then 1-6 the next game. Right now he just seems to be on a bit of a cold streak, that or he just has some early season jitters, he'll be fine.

It is interesting that we are critiquing a true freshman that is averaging 17.7 ppg on 58% shooting just three games into his college career. He will end up at likely about 34-35% from three this year, I'm not worried about it at all. The free throw shooting definitely baffles me but he shot them well in high school, so I have to believe he will get it turned around as well.

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

There are many other things to take into account in college other than just the offenses you're running. Starting with the defenses being far better, the games being played much faster, and obviously the upgrade in talent level. Those take time for any true freshman to get used to. That being said expectations of 40% are simply not realistic.

As for your other point there is no way the coaching staff was going to spend Romeo's one offseason critiquing/changing his shot. That would likely be an unmitigated disaster and hurt his confidence right from the get go. His shot is fine and will be going forward. All the other guys you named it took years to hone their shot. Remember Vic freshman year? He couldn't throw it in the ocean. 

It is way too early to be disappointed in Romeo's play to this point and anyone that is, likely had unrealistic expectations in the first place.

11 minutes ago, SIHoosier26 said:

There are many other things to take into account in college other than just the offenses you're running. Starting with the defenses being far better, the games being played much faster, and obviously the upgrade in talent level. Those take time for any true freshman to get used to. That being said expectations of 40% are simply not realistic.

As for your other point there is no way the coaching staff was going to spend Romeo's one offseason critiquing/changing his shot. That would likely be an unmitigated disaster and hurt his confidence right from the get go. His shot is fine and will be going forward. All the other guys you named it took years to hone their shot. Remember Vic freshman year? He couldn't throw it in the ocean. 

It is way too early to be disappointed in Romeo's play to this point and anyone that is, likely had unrealistic expectations in the first place.

Not disappointed by any means, the kid’s been amazing through three games and is only going to get better.  But we all agree on that — not that interesting to discuss.

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Neither did Victor Oladipo.

The main difference is that Vic had 3 years of work to improve his 3pt shooting to 40% his junior year.  By the time Romeo hits that same age, he'll have been in the league for a year or two.  Romeo and his shot will only get better as the season goes on, and he will end up shooting a more respectable percentage from deep. 

6 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

The main difference is that Vic had 3 years of work to improve his 3pt shooting to 40% his junior year.  By the time Romeo hits that same age, he'll have been in the league for a year or two.  Romeo and his shot will only get better as the season goes on, and he will end up shooting a more respectable percentage from deep. 

For sure, but without looking, I think Romeo was a much better shooter from 3 than Vic was in high school, so I would think he could adjust toward that level sooner.  I'm with you...would be surprised if he's regularly shooting 40% by the end of the season, but I expect a significant trend up from where he is.

In my mind Romeo most closely resembles Kobe as a player. Maybe not quite as athletic but close. More a volume scorer and as his career went on a few years into the league became a good 3pt shooter too. Eventually that will come for Romeo but his ability to just get to where he wants on the court and hit tough shots and draw fouls to me reminds me of a young Kobe. Don’t get me wrong it will take a lot to be Kobe but his game just has hints of that to me.

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

In my mind Romeo most closely resembles Kobe as a player. Maybe not quite as athletic but close. More a volume scorer and as his career went on a few years into the league became a good 3pt shooter too. Eventually that will come for Romeo but his ability to just get to where he wants on the court and hit tough shots and draw fouls to me reminds me of a young Kobe. Don’t get me wrong it will take a lot to be Kobe but his game just has hints of that to me.

Just one thing about that comparison... I don't like Kobe. Can we try MJ instead? 

13 hours ago, dgambill said:

Not a Kobe fan but if RL gets that work ethic look out. I agree with all the comparisons skill wise.

Archived