UT Arlington Postgame Thread

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Do not know if its' "faith or trust" or something else. It is troubling that neither player entered the game despite how short-handed we were. Why that is, is currently unknown (here). Hopefully they will earn time in practice, we need to be able to use the depth that we have.

I would guess it had a lot to do with the fact that i dont think UTA had anyone taller than about 6'4".  They very well could have, but it just looked like they were playing with 5 guards at all times.  I think playing them would have put them into positions that set them up to fail and i cant imagine CAM would do that.  Early in the game was a different story, but not toward the end.

People are saying Justin played soft.  Maybe so.  He’s not finishing with authority.  

The thing I’m noticing even more, though, is his motor disappeared.  Last year, when he played well down the stretch, his motor was fantastic.  

I don’t know how to read the lack of motor with Justin, but he gives the impression of “I’m better than you, and I can turn it on whenever I want to.”  Whatever it is, he needs to put it away. I don’t care who the opponent is, there’s no excuse for a nonexistent motor.  And yes he needs to finish a whole hell of a lot better.  

We have had some problems the past two games, but injuries aside, Justin alone stepping up with authority would have turned around the past two games.

Personally, if I were a coach, motor would be on my very high list of priorities. 

My grammer taught me to fish and gave me spin rides in her dryer.  My wife says that explains a lot.

I had a great aunt who taught me grammar in the 5th grade and made the number 3 by extending her middle finger.

To their credit, they both enjoyed Hoosier basketball.  God rest the souls of both these ladies...miss them much.

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Also, what is Clifton Moore thinking right now?   It’s a game where we essentially were down to 6 guys and he was in full-on Priller mode. 

Seems telling.  

Also, speaking of lack of trust, Archie doesn’t trust Smith at the three. 

I think he'll be elsewhere at this time next year, maybe sooner. I just don't see him ever getting meaningful minutes here.

I'm honestly kind of over the Crean recruits. Durham is serviceable. Green is just an athlete. Smith is an athlete with a slightly higher ceiling. Davis is just a big body. Moore is a mirage.

3 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

Thanks for overlooking the fact that I wrote wants when I needed to write once....wow my English teacher wife would be so proud of me....🤦‍♂️

No problem. My voice texting is a mess. Gave up on correcting words/grammar/punctuation about 20 years ago. 

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

My grammer taught me to fish and gave me spin rides in her dryer.  My wife says that explains a lot.

I had a great aunt who taught me grammar in the 5th grade and made the number 3 by extending her middle finger.

To their credit, they both enjoyed Hoosier basketball.  God rest the souls of both these ladies...miss them much.

I'm just glad that IU won more than 3 titles.

I don't know too much about CAM's time at Dayton, but I would imagine his teams used more Juniors and Seniors and brought along and developed the new guys.  He wasn't able to attract highly ranked guys that would play early or start.  This dynamic of having experienced players who had tremendous familiarity with each other is different than he has had thus far at IU.  We all want top players, however this will lead to CAM having to run a program that may be very different than the one he had at Dayton.  It is clear he is a great coach based on his past successes. I wonder if that same success be duplicated with better, but younger and less experienced players. Also, how does the bigger spot light and expectation impact his willingness to take risks?  RMK seemed to thrive on others questioning his tactics.  He used the bench, kicked players off the team, etc. He didn't worry if the fans didn't agree.  Will CAM trust his instincts and possibly risk everything to put his stamp on this program knowing that there will/might be backlash?  People tend to become more conservative when they fear losing the thing they have wanted their whole life. I personally like his demeanor, basketball intelligence, emphasis on defense, etc.  I think we should hitch our wagon to him for longer than some may want because I think he needs time to adjust to the level.  

5 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Disagree a LOT with your assessment of Damezi.  He's not perfect...has a lot to learn, but your assessment is over the top.  Thank goodness he was able to give us some healthy high energy minutes last night.

Agree that Smith is playing too soft and that has got to stop.  I want to see him play a little angry going forward.

He came down by himself against 3 and pulled up from 3. Archie went nuts. The shot he hit on the baseline with like a min. and change left, real early in the clock, Archie went nuts. I sat a few rows behind the bench, I saw what I saw. No sense of time and score. Cant play a bit of D. He wouldnt be playing if not for the injuries. But he is getting big time learning mins. which will only help him.

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

He came down by himself against 3 and pulled up from 3. Archie went nuts. The shot he hit on the baseline with like a min. and change left, real early in the clock, Archie went nuts. I sat a few rows behind the bench, I saw what I saw. No sense of time and score. Cant play a bit of D. He wouldn't be playing if not for the injuries. But he is getting big time learning mins. which will only help him.

OK...he made a couple of freshman mistakes.  I've seen Romeo make a couple as well.

Absolutely disagree that he can't play any defense.  That's over the top.  What we do agree on is that all these minutes can only help him, but meanwhile, cut the kid some slack.  He's got some real shooting talent and he shows a willingness to work and hustle.  He can't help that his early coaches mostly coasted on talent and ignored fundamentals.

On 11/21/2018 at 7:22 PM, Indykev said:

He came down by himself against 3 and pulled up from 3. Archie went nuts. The shot he hit on the baseline with like a min. and change left, real early in the clock, Archie went nuts. I sat a few rows behind the bench, I saw what I saw. No sense of time and score. Cant play a bit of D. He wouldnt be playing if not for the injuries. But he is getting big time learning mins. which will only help him.

Didn't CAM go nuts the second time because he led a fastbreak and tried a behind the back pass that was nearly stolen when he should have gone up for the layup or pulled it back out?

If we are not cast of the walking dead, DA is getting spot minutes.  He would be getting spot minutes for a reason.  From what ive heard on here, his hs team ran the "im just a lot better athlete than you are" offense and defense.  Has he made some bonehead plays?  ABSOLUTLY!!  But so has every other person on the team thats been in the game up to this point.  He has some raw talent.  Give him a little more time to get his head wrapped around the game.  He's gotta be drowning in info and "what in the hell am i supposed to be doing" right now.

Does anyone have any information on the time table when we get some of the players back? I think we need to get some of these players time on the floor to get ready for the big ten grind! Haven’t seen much if anything of Forrester and Moore. Giving some rest to the others would be big! 

Archived