IU UC Davis Game Thread

9 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Xtremely serious.  The two guys we depend upon to get points, did their job.  In other words, they did what is expected of them. But stats are not the only thing. Many other things contribute to a win that never show up on a stat sheet.  Rob P. worked his butt off on O and D, all night long.  And that is why he earned my mile hi game ball. 

I understand stats aren't everything, but I thought Rob played very poor defense on Shorts in the first half. Even in the second period, Juwan bailed him out by blocking or changing Shorts' shot, or making him pass it back out by coming over from the weak side. Rob did draw a couple of charges (one was kinda iffy) but overall, Shorts ate his lunch.

I get it. We're putting a lot on the kid, but last night without him, we win by 8. Without Juwan we lose by 20.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, hoosier8760 said:

Really getting tired of the “we’re young” excuse...is Duke young?

The reason IU is young right now is because a 5th year senior starter and a junior have been out injured, so we’re playing some young guys that shouldn’t be playing this many minutes. Duke doesn’t get the young excuse because, outside of Langford, their young guys are a good deal more talented. 

I love Phinisee and I think Anderson will make an impact on this program as he develops, but they’re significantly less talented than Zion Williamson, RJ Barrett and Cam Reddish. It’s apples to oranges. 

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I understand stats aren't everything, but I thought Rob played very poor defense on Shorts in the first half. Even in the second period, Juwan bailed him out by blocking or changing Shorts' shot, or making him pass it back out by coming over from the weak side. Rob did draw a couple of charges (one was kinda iffy) but overall, Shorts ate his lunch.

I get it. We're putting a lot on the kid, but last night without him, we win by 8. Without Juwan we lose by 20.

While I understand what you are saying, Pack Line defense is a different system than what most kids play in high school. It takes time to learn and young kids are going to struggle at times.

Frequent comments here about the impact defensively of McRoberts and Green being out. Makes sense, as they now have 2 years in Archie’s system.

And,  not to be forgotten, they struggled on defense the first half of last year 

29 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

While I understand what you are saying, Pack Line defense is a different system than what most kids play in high school. It takes time to learn and young kids are going to struggle at times.

Frequent comments here about the impact defensively of McRoberts and Green being out. Makes sense, as they now have 2 years in Archie’s system.

And,  not to be forgotten, they struggled on defense the first half of last year 

You won't get any argument out of me for anything you posted. Rob has exceeded my expectations so far and I hope that continues to be the case. But my point to the poster that handed him a game ball (and it's his game ball, he can hand it to whomever he wants 😀) is that this was far from Rob's finest game. His impact was minimal.

1 hour ago, hoosier8760 said:

Really getting tired of the “we’re young” excuse...is Duke young?

i was going to say this as well.  how many good teams in college bball are young?  that is the world of college bball.  pretty rare these days to have an experienced, good team.  if guys stay all 4 years these days, they usually aren't great.  i know.  i know.  there are exceptions, but i agree 100% that to say we're young is the same as most good college bball teams!

Wtf? Why is everyone so down? We are one tip in away from being undefeated and in the top 15 with half our team out. Hell, we may be ranked for the first time in 2 years come Monday due to losses in front of us.  It finally appears that there is light at the end of the tunnel with our injuries and that it is possible McBob and Green could be back next week and then there’s the GREAT news Hunter - mind you a gold jersey recipient - is now back in Bloomington with the team. Yes these games have been a bit closer than we wanted to but nevertheless we turned it on and got the W. Thank goodness we’re not Vandy who lost to Kent State yesterday or WF who lost to Houston Baptist or dare I say a ranked TCU team losing to Lipscomb at home.. Also with regard to next year from many accounts we’re the leaders for Brooks and TJD. All is not gloom and doom.

42 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i was going to say this as well.  how many good teams in college bball are young?  that is the world of college bball.  pretty rare these days to have an experienced, good team.  if guys stay all 4 years these days, they usually aren't great.  i know.  i know.  there are exceptions, but i agree 100% that to say we're young is the same as most good college bball teams!

Disagree.

Duke and Kentucky, who get a ton of media attention, are teams supporting your argument. Most every other team mixes 1-2 young kids in with a group of more veteran players. 

Off the top of my head-

Both championship game teams last year-Michigan and Villanova 

N Carolina

Michigan State

Wisconsin

Gonzaga

Virginia

Syracuse

Oklahoma

Notre Dame

Kansas

Very rare to see a major college basketball program starting two freshmen in the backcourt 

OMG ! How can any IU fan compare this season's injury problems to any previous IU season ??????? Two STARTERS have been. out several games now ! Yet , the Hoosiers went to Arkansas , got homered big time by the Striped shirts , and stil on lost by ONE point ,  73 to 72 ! The Hoosiers are 5 & 1 and starting Two Freshmen Guards !! My God ,methinks some IU (?) Fans expect way too much !!

Archived