UC Davis postgame thread

I was not able to listen to most of the game because I went to a cousins celebration of life service.  He had lived in Denver for the last few years and he died a couple of weeks ago so they had a service tonight here in Indy.  When I turned it on it was halftime and we were down 2 and wondered if everyone was out but then heard both Romeo and Al was playing.  At least we came back and played a good last 10 minutes of the game.

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I was not able to listen to most of the game because I went to a cousins celebration of life service.  He had lived in Denver for the last few years and he died a couple of weeks ago so they had a service tonight here in Indy.  When I turned it on it was halftime and we were down 2 and wondered if everyone was out but then heard both Romeo and Al was playing.  At least we came back and played a good last 10 minutes of the game.

I think you and I turning the game on spurred the team to victory :D

I was at the game Tue night and we looked sluggish. Sloppy passes. Guys not stepping out to meet the passer, etc.  It sounds like tonight wasn’t much different. It always vexes me how a team can come out sluggish in front of 17k, holiday week or not. I don’t think the sky is falling. I think Archie knows what he’s doing. I think we need to get healthy. But I also think something is missing and I’m not sure exactly what it is, but I think his name is McRoberts. 

I was at the game. Several notes...

TJD was there. Great game for him to see how Morgan is used. A few in-game interactions between Ostrom and him. He seemed to enjoy it and I caught him cheering on the Hoosiers a few times.

We miss McRoberts and his defense, intangibles, hustle, energy, rebounding, and his patented 2 wide open 3’s each game.

We miss Devonte’s scoring/playmaking ability, as well as defense.

DeRon came out favoring his left ankle, went back to locker room, but came back out and could see him telling guys he was ok.

Juwan is a beast. If Archie gets IU back, Juwan is a huge reason for it. No one is more important to the team than JMo.

We don’t space the floor very well at times, and that’s when the offense slows. Not sure that this will be a popular take, but we need to work some more Iso-ball with Romeo and Juwan. They can’t be guarded. But we need to make space for them.

Something else on how the team has played this week, obviously the injuries are the major piece, but also it’s much more difficult to be the home team during a holiday week like this. When you’re on the road it’s kind of a ‘we’re in this together’ mentality, but when you’re at home but also out of your regular routine (no classes, other students gone, out of regular routine) because it’s a break/holiday you can easily relax and lose focus or focus on other things. 

I remember having a home game the Wednesday before Thanksgiving my sophomore year of college and it was against a team we should have handled and we played awful and lost. It wasn’t even close. Everyone and everything was just off. 

Not trying to make an excuse, it’s just reality sometimes. 

That was a scrappy team with nothing to lose.  It was great to see IU saddle up and finish an opponent in less than ideal circumstances.  Not a very well-played game, but very much a character building game.  I'll feel a ton better when most of IU's injuries are in the rearview mirror.

The team has a lot to improve on, but it's nice to see them finally hitting from the outside.  In years past, IU would have folded and got embarrassed.  good to see that these boys don't quit.

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

That was a scrappy team with nothing to lose.  It was great to see IU saddle up and finish an opponent in less than ideal circumstances.  Not a very well-played game, but very much a character building game.  I'll feel a ton better when most of IU's injuries are in the rearview mirror.

The team has a lot to improve on, but it's nice to see them finally hitting from the outside.  In years past, IU would have folded and got embarrassed.  good to see that these boys don't quit.

Confirmed.  This year, IU has beaten the teams we should have beaten.... Arkansas aside.... unlike last year when we lost to Indiana State. 

Now we have to go out and get one we are not expected to win. 

15 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Don't get me wrong.  Zach McRoberts is missed, and for good reason.  But, he should not be missed this much against these teams.  Against Arkansas, I get it.  Against UTA and UC-Davis, I'm not buying it.

I am not buying it either.  

3 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Juwan Morgan obvious player of the game, he was incredible and we lose big without him. 

After the game Arch blamed our struggles on our injuries, and definitely intimated that he doesn’t view Forrester and Moore as rotation players. 

Im beginning to wonder if Moore comes back after Christmas break...Forrester's still learning 

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Don't get me wrong.  Zach McRoberts is missed, and for good reason.  But, he should not be missed this much against these teams.  Against Arkansas, I get it.  Against UTA and UC-Davis, I'm not buying it.

A couple of random thoughts, it looked like we came out tired.  We came out as a team battling through injuries and a holiday hangover of sorts.  The lineups we saw on the floor, how often have they had significant minutes together, in practice, furthermore, in game? 

McRoberts does provide great defense, does that defensive effort fuel the rest of the team on that side of the ball?  It seems like a great deal to attribute to one player, but I believe it's only half of the story.

I didn't see the game, so my comments are applicable to the season thus far:

As has been discussed there are two models to build a title contending team: 1) Build with talent and experience - good players that stick around for 3 or 4 years. and 2) Perpetual one-and-done rosters (i.e. win with young pre-NBA players).  This team has Romeo, a couple of very good freshmen (one injured), and a couple more "typical" freshmen, so I'd say we certainly aren't in "mode 2".  Thus far we have only one upper classman that has been a consistent and important contributor (and how!) in Morgan.  Fitzner looked good for the first few games but has since become a non-factor and McRoberts' absence has been significant as has Green to a lesser extent, also Davis is limited and working back from a major rehab.  So what we've been playing with for much of the season is one contributing upperclassman, a couple of freshmen, and a mix of sophomores - none of which is blue chip level.  Any disappointment I've felt thus far has been in the relative lack of improvement from our sophomores.

My guess is we're destined to be more of a talent/experience team for the long term.  With circumstances being what they are, right now we're just not there to the level where we can be a really good team.  IMO, it is crucial that we get Green & McRoberts back and get better contributions from our sophomores.  It appears that we aren't going to see a quick rise from Crean to championship caliber, but a more gradual transformation.  This season we got two freshmen that are in the starting 5, and we will hopefully get a couple more similarly talented players for next year.  Hunter, by all accounts, was set to be a solid player and may be a giant addition when he returns.  Thompson, too, has been unable to develop or contribute because of injuries.

TL:DR - It appears that we're going to be building teams with a mixture of very good to outstanding talent combined with experienced players.  Both parts of this formula will take some time.  Also, if there ever is a case for an "incomplete" grade card, this is it.

I saw the game we were really bad in a number of ways.

1) We couldn't stop dribble penetration until they just wore out.  For a defense that is supposed to stop penetration we were really bad.

2)  We had a hard time defending the 3 probably because of the penetration and kick outs.

3) Our half-court offense was bad.  Too many TO's especially in the first half, but 2d half much better.  We didn't have much movement. 

Archived