Indiana vs Duke Pregame Thread

rbkl

15 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Hopefully you’re right, and I’m underestimating the impact of the quick turnaround with 3 games in 6 days.  But the only game we were really that short-handed in was the UTA game.  I wasn’t that concerned after the subpar performances against Arkansas and UTA, but the UC-Davis game was just a pretty pathetic effort.  And I’m not sure how ready Green and McBob are going to be right off the bat.

How was the UTA game the only game IU was short handed? We’ve been missing McRoberts, Green and Hunter for like every game but 1? That’s 3 of the top 7 guys in the rotation, including our best defender and our backup (potentially starting before Phinisee emerged) point guard. Not to mention Green is probably our 2nd best defender  

I think you’re vastly underestimating the difference McRoberts especially and even Green would be making. 

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

How was the UTA game the only game IU was short handed? We’ve been missing McRoberts, Green and Hunter for like every game but 1? That’s 3 of the top 7 guys in the rotation, including our best defender and our backup (potentially starting before Phinisee emerged) point guard. Not to mention Green is probably our 2nd best defender  

I think you’re vastly underestimating the difference McRoberts especially and even Green would be making. 

Green's mental lapses aside, they also are two of our most heady players. 

I think Anderson has a lot of potential, but he is a freshman who should be brought along slowly and he is forced to play big minutes because of those absences. 

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I see 2-3 with losses @Duke, @PSU, and vs. Butler unless something changes quickly.  Getting McBob and Green back will help, but I think it’s going to take some time for them to get their legs under them.  Don’t really trust this team outside of Assembly Hall right now (and they haven’t looked very good in Assembly Hall as it is).

I don't agree I see a potential 4-0, but we will see.

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Green's mental lapses aside, they also are two of our most heady players. 

I think Anderson has a lot of potential, but he is a freshman who should be brought along slowly and he is forced to play big minutes because of those absences. 

Agree. Take the Arkansas game, give 2/3’s of Anderson’s minutes to McRoberts and put Green is as the point guard when Phinisee was out with foul trouble and it’s a completely different game. That kid that hit a bunch of 3’s on Langford would have been defended by McRoberts. 

23 minutes ago, BGleas said:

McBob and Green being out definitely hurts.  I don’t really count Hunter, as he hasn’t played a single game for us and it’s not looking like he will play again this season (also not sure he’d be a top 7 rotation player, but it’s impossible to know).

But even acknowledging what McBob and Green bring to the court, they’re complementary players, not our go-to studs.  Losing them to injury shouldn’t make or break our team, especially at home against a team like UC-Davis.  We haven’t looked great for three games in a row now, and I’m not sure that getting those two back will instantly turn us back into the team we were all envisioning after we ran Marquette out of Assembly Hall.

4 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

McBob and Green being out definitely hurts.  I don’t really count Hunter, as he hasn’t played a single game for us and it’s not looking like he will play again this season (also not sure he’d be a top 7 rotation player, but it’s impossible to know).

But even acknowledging what McBob and Green bring to the court, they’re complementary players, not our go-to studs.  Losing them to injury shouldn’t make or break our team, especially at home against a team like UC-Davis.  We haven’t looked great for three games in a row now, and I’m not sure that getting those two back will instantly turn us back into the team we were all envisioning after we ran Marquette out of Assembly Hall.

Our defense and overall team hustle completely change with McRoberts in the game. He does so any of the little things that just take a team better.  And although Green can be erratic at times, his confidence, defense, and ball handling have been truly missed. 

43 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Did I miss something new that indicates he’s likely out for the season?  (Checks calendar... Sunday, Nov 25th)

26 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Our defense and overall team hustle completely change with McRoberts in the game. He does so any of the little things that just take a team better.  And although Green can be erratic at times, his confidence, defense, and ball handling have been truly missed. 

Xcatly ! That's why I gave the mile hi game ball to Rob P, last game. One does not have to be a scorer to have a positive impact on a game. 

15 hours ago, rbkl said:

We did some analysis of Duke players and the overall team... here's the first one on Tre Jones.

Another analysis on Duke. This one on Cam Reddish who was teammates with Jake Forrester. Is this going to be Romeo's assignment? 

7 minutes ago, CrimsonV said:

Did I miss something new that indicates he’s likely out for the season?

I haven’t heard anything new, just my inference based on how serious the “condition” seems to be.  The way they’ve talked about it, I’m not expecting to see him on the court this season.

13 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I haven’t heard anything new, just my inference based on how serious the “condition” seems to be.  The way they’ve talked about it, I’m not expecting to see him on the court this season.

IU has never been one to elaborate on injuries but some details will eventually come out.  At the very least, we’ll get some visuals of him on campus this week.  I’ll wait to judge that one.  

7 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I think you’re extremely underestimating how important McRoberts is to this team. 

A team riddled with injuries and lacking in cohesiveness because they haven't played together....isn't what you need to bring to Duke. My expectations are low. Not because of our guys or staff but because even the best of best teams would struggle to win at Duke. 

Gut says we lose by 20. Just where things stand right now. February/March completely different story.

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

A team riddled with injuries and lacking in cohesiveness because they haven't played together....isn't what you need to bring to Duke. My expectations are low. Not because of our guys or staff but because even the best of best teams would struggle to win at Duke. 

Gut says we lose by 20. Just where things stand right now. February/March completely different story.

I was hoping McRoberts and Green would have played against UC Davis to get some rhythm back. Tough to come back after sitting out a week+ and have it be at Duke. Hopefully the fact that they warmed up the other night means they’ve been practicing. 

22 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I was hoping McRoberts and Green would have played against UC Davis to get some rhythm back. Tough to come back after sitting out a week+ and have it be at Duke. Hopefully the fact that they warmed up the other night means they’ve been practicing. 

If they arent 90% or better, I wouldn't play Green or McBob.  Yes, a game against a top 3 team in a game hyped by espDuke is a big deal; but I'd rather put my chips on making a deep run in the NCAA than stealing a game at the Durham YMCA gym.

14 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

If they arent 90% or better, I wouldn't play Green or McBob.  Yes, a game against a top 3 team in a game hyped by espDuke is a big deal; but I'd rather put my chips on making a deep run in the NCAA than stealing a game at the Durham YMCA gym.

Yep. And while appearances are important for national tv I'd rather make sure we beat Northwestern, at Penn St to start league play 2-0. Even at full strength I say we have about a 10% chance of winning at Duke. 

Archived