ACC/Big Ten Challenge

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, HoagieRoll said:

Beliein has done such a great job with UM. Jealous 

I know it’s hard, but we just need to have some patience with Archie. 

As great of a run as Beilein is on, he was 46-53 his first three season at Michigan, missing the Tournament twice. It took him six years at Michigan to get past the second round and one of those years he lost in the first round after winning the Big Ten. But Michigan had patience and it’s paying off. 

Well I wish the Big could have won the challenge but I almost feel ok with a tie as long as Purdue lost and in Purdue fashion they choked away this game in wonderful and epic way. It seems to be an epidemic that goes along with Painter teams cause this character trait has spanned multiple different years. Carsen Edwards choked those last 3-4 free throws. Ah that's great. Ok I feel a little better about the Duke loss now not alot but a little.

Michigan in also epic fashion beatdown beat the Tar Heel cheaters like a red headed step child!

Carson Edwards has proven my point several times already this season.  As the focus of team defensive efforts, he's not even close to being efficient.  Tonight's line 8-19 (4-11 from distance).  3 assists and 7 turnovers.  FSU played like absolute garbage or they would have won by 15-20.  The efficient player on the team is Ryan Cline, although he had 4 turnovers (as did "point guard" (LOL) Nojel Eastern). 

We gripe about IU's guard play, but Purdue doesn't look good either...and that's the strength of their team.

9 hours ago, BGleas said:

I know it’s hard, but we just need to have some patience with Archie. 

As great of a run as Beilein is on, he was 46-53 his first three season at Michigan, missing the Tournament twice. It took him six years at Michigan to get past the second round and one of those years he lost in the first round after winning the Big Ten. But Michigan had patience and it’s paying off. 

Exactly. Wish more people remembered how bad Beilein actually was when he got there. Obviously decades earlier but same for Coach K at Duke.

7 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Serious question.   Isn't Michigan young?

Edit.   I just counted 11, eleven,  freshmen and sophomores on their roster.  

Here's where I am on the youth thing as it relates to our team.

Michigan has Beilein's system in place and entrenched, and Beilein recruits guys to play in that system, and they are rolling really well with it.

We have basically one year of Archie's system with one recruiting class of the guys he sees playing in that system.  It's going to take a couple years at least before we are consistent.  The biggest "problem" we have right now is that Crean liked to recruit "athletes" and turn them into "basketball players" whereas Archie's system will feed more off basketball iq and effort than athleticism.

Smith is a good example of this.  He's obviously very athletic, but it appears to me that he's struggling with translating that into Miller's system.  While I'm not saying that Smith is going to be this, let's not forget that Oladipo was the textbook example of turning an "athlete" into a basketball player, so all is not lost, and Smith (as well as the rest of the team) has plenty of time to turn it around.  

The aforementioned reasons are also why we saw the turnovers increase when we started piling up the injuries.  Take away McRoberts and his leadership (he's the real floor leader on this team) as well as a few other key pieces, and we can't have quality 5-on-5 practices, and the system starts to break down in games.  Looking at before and after the Marquette game should calm any IU fan who is feeling nervous.  

Archived