Is IU president (McRobbie) good for our athletic programs?

Artesian_86

Now that Brohm is officially the Purdue coach for a while........What can we do to keep up with that? 

I was listening to 1070 the fan on my way home from work yesterday, as I do everyday. Jeff Rabjohns from Peegs.com was on and spoke very boldly about the state of IU football and the IU president, Michael McRobbie. JMV said afterwards that he has never heard Rabjohns speak so boldly and frankly about IU that way.

The conversation was directed towards how bad IU's president was versus most other  power 5 schools. Rabjohns specifically used Purdue's Mich Daniels as an example of how a great president should to perform. He went on to say that McRobbie was the worst president IU has ever had and he explained why . 

He stated at Purdue, Daniels really supports all of Purdue's sports programs and listens when there are needs. According to Rabjohns, McRobbie is the complete opposite and said he is the type of president who could care less if we had sports. When Daniels was asked about needing money for new facilities, salaries other sports related requests, he said, "OK, what can we do to make this happen?" On the other hand, McRobbie is quite the opposite. He said when it comes to athletics, it's hard to get him to spend money, let alone for athletics.

I know we have gotten beautiful, state of the art facility upgrades, in both basketball and football, but he stated that it takes more than that to keep up with the power 5 programs. One specific comment he made was about a facility request, when the new weight rooms were put in. McRobbie specifically said that the football team would not have their own weight room, but had to share it with the other programs. That may not sound like a big deal, but the top programs, whose president fully supports athletics along side education find ways to meet those individual needs. 

I do not really listen or follow Jeff Rabjohns, but what he had to say really made sense to me as to where we really are as a McRobbie lead university. We are willing to spend money on much needed facility upgrades, but are not willing to go out and get top coaches and pay competitive salaries. I will end with a powerful quote he said, referring to McRobbie's tenure here....."You can't build a house if he won't let you use a hammer!"

I agree wholeheartedly with Rabby.  I have said the same thing for years.  It doesn't help that McRobbie is a foreigner.   McRobbie is afraid to walk and chew gum at the same time, and is totally lost regarding how athletics can enhance the visibility of your school, let alone the nexus between that visibility and the quality of students and professors you can attract.

He has done some erratic things in the university administrative structure as well (I am not at liberty to elaborate).

I like Mitch Daniels.  He's a terrific leader, and is able to walk and chew gum at the same time.

While we are pounding management, the BOT could use some higher level talent.

5 minutes ago, rico said:

I thing the question is......."Is he good for our football program?"

I agree totally,......that is the main question, however, do we want a president who could care less if our university had sports? Basketball and football are the biggest money draw, but apparently McRobbie does not care if we fill seats or not. There is a lot of money to be made with those empty seats! The only way to fill empty seats is to win consistently and put a good product on the field.

36 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I agree totally,......that is the main question, however, do we want a president who could care less if our university had sports? Basketball and football are the biggest money draw, but apparently McRobbie does not care if we fill seats or not. There is a lot of money to be made with those empty seats! The only way to fill empty seats is to win consistently and put a good product on the field.

Well, then it is time for him to go.

1 hour ago, Artesian_86 said:

Now that Brohm is officially the Purdue coach for a while........What can we do to keep up with that? 

I was listening to 1070 the fan on my way home from work yesterday, as I do everyday. Jeff Rabjohns from Peegs.com was on and spoke very boldly about the state of IU football and the IU president, Michael McRobbie. JMV said afterwards that he has never heard Rabjohns speak so boldly and frankly about IU that way.

The conversation was directed towards how bad IU's president was versus most other  power 5 schools. Rabjohns specifically used Purdue's Mich Daniels as an example of how a great president should to perform. He went on to say that McRobbie was the worst president IU has ever had and he explained why . 

He stated at Purdue, Daniels really supports all of Purdue's sports programs and listens when there are needs. According to Rabjohns, McRobbie is the complete opposite and said he is the type of president who could care less if we had sports. When Daniels was asked about needing money for new facilities, salaries other sports related requests, he said, "OK, what can we do to make this happen?" On the other hand, McRobbie is quite the opposite. He said when it comes to athletics, it's hard to get him to spend money, let alone for athletics.

I know we have gotten beautiful, state of the art facility upgrades, in both basketball and football, but he stated that it takes more than that to keep up with the power 5 programs. One specific comment he made was about a facility request, when the new weight rooms were put in. McRobbie specifically said that the football team would not have their own weight room, but had to share it with the other programs. That may not sound like a big deal, but the top programs, whose president fully supports athletics along side education find ways to meet those individual needs. 

I do not really listen or follow Jeff Rabjohns, but what he had to say really made sense to me as to where we really are as a McRobbie lead university. We are willing to spend money on much needed facility upgrades, but are not willing to go out and get top coaches and pay competitive salaries. I will end with a powerful quote he said, referring to McRobbie's tenure here....."You can't build a house if he won't let you use a hammer!"

Honestly, that sounds exactly like our previous president France Cordova. She siphoned off $3 million a year from BTN money for academic projects and didn’t care at all about sports. Mitch is night and day different. 

21 minutes ago, rico said:

He has college admin experience.   Yep, Mike Pence.

You're going to find near zero support for that from nearly everyone who has anything to do with IU: students, alumni, professors, administration.  

I know this is hypothetical, but if they would name him as a candidate, I, as an alumnus and former teacher in the state of Indiana, would do everything in my power to keep it from happening. 

There's more important things than having a good football team.

2 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

You're going to find near zero support for that from nearly everyone who has anything to do with IU: students, alumni, professors, administration.  

I know this is hypothetical, but if they would name him as a candidate, I, as an alumnus and former teacher in the state of Indiana, would do everything in my power to keep it from happening. 

There's more important things than having a good football team.

He is an alum, grew up not that far away.  I want a football team.

So I have stated in many post this is a well known thing.  When it comes to sports McRobbie does IU no favors.  This is not just him though, there is a effort throughout the entire IU Board to make sure IU sports does not better biggger than academics.  You can particularly thank Bob Knight and Former President Herbert for this.  McRobbie is seeing IU through the bicentennial in 2020 and will be out by July that year.  Giving IU plenty of time to find his successor.  None of you should get your hopes up on a replacement that will invest more into sports.  We likely will see an internal successor that will have the same overall feeling on sports.

But on the flip side if you take sports out of it I would tell you overall McRobbie has been solid for IU.  IU has had large success in fund raising and growing many of the major schools and programs on all campuses.  Money is pouring in, research is doing well, the partnership with IU health continues to grow.  Additionally in the online education space we are taking a well thought out approach across all campuses where IU faculty from our proven programs are teaching online courses in well planned and thought out ways.  Mitch Daniels bought Kaplan online and slapped the Purdue name on it to catch up with no thought into what they were teaching and what it would do to the overall value of a Purdue degree.  No president will make decisions everyone will like but overall McRobbie has been an asset to the University.

Back to athletics, it makes you realize why Fred has gotten so many outside donors to pay up.  He knew that’s the only way he could get more value into the program.  I have blasted Glass plenty but maybe he has done what he could with what he does best, build stadiums/assets and raise money.  If he can’t get the money to pay salaries he controls what he can?  No matter what you think of McRobbie he and the board are definitely not helping IU athletics be the best it can be IMO.

5 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

So every one hates politicians but wants them to be school presidents? Interesting. I'm glad Mitch is working for Purdue. Wouldn't want him at IU. McRobbie might be terrible though, and he'll most likely be gone in 2 years. 

Mitch did attend IU.  But I don't think he got a degree.

2 hours ago, iuthruandthru said:

So I have stated in many post this is a well known thing.  When it comes to sports McRobbie does IU no favors.  This is not just him though, there is a effort throughout the entire IU Board to make sure IU sports does not better biggger than academics.  You can particularly thank Bob Knight and Former President Herbert for this.  McRobbie is seeing IU through the bicentennial in 2020 and will be out by July that year.  Giving IU plenty of time to find his successor.  None of you should get your hopes up on a replacement that will invest more into sports.  We likely will see an internal successor that will have the same overall feeling on sports.

But on the flip side if you take sports out of it I would tell you overall McRobbie has been solid for IU.  IU has had large success in fund raising and growing many of the major schools and programs on all campuses.  Money is pouring in, research is doing well, the partnership with IU health continues to grow.  Additionally in the online education space we are taking a well thought out approach across all campuses where IU faculty from our proven programs are teaching online courses in well planned and thought out ways.  Mitch Daniels bought Kaplan online and slapped the Purdue name on it to catch up with no thought into what they were teaching and what it would do to the overall value of a Purdue degree.  No president will make decisions everyone will like but overall McRobbie has been an asset to the University.

Back to athletics, it makes you realize why Fred has gotten so many outside donors to pay up.  He knew that’s the only way he could get more value into the program.  I have blasted Glass plenty but maybe he has done what he could with what he does best, build stadiums/assets and raise money.  If he can’t get the money to pay salaries he controls what he can?  No matter what you think of McRobbie he and the board are definitely not helping IU athletics be the best it can be IMO.

Helmke is already at IU and on staff.

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

If IU's next president is not a foreign born nerd, but someone who understands what basketball means to Indiana and understands our desire to have a respectable football  program, I think that person could be successful.

Pence and Helmke.....Indiana bred.  

10 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

If IU's next president is not a foreign born nerd, but someone who understands what basketball means to Indiana and understands our desire to have a respectable football  program, I think that person could be successful.

We can all agree that IU sports, especially football, does not have McRobbie's best interest at all! However, I have been a bit disappointed in some of our posters negative descriptions of McRobbie with personal attacks. 

I could care less where our president was born, their race, or gender...even if he or she was a nerd.....I care more about how that person is open to suggestions, and understands the needs and importance of all departments from education to athletics. These areas should be able to thrive together equally.

Archived