Shooting

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think any team should be able to shoot 75% because it is all about getting a routine and doing it every time.  Sometimes it looks like Morgan gets the ball and just shoots it without taking a dribble or looking at the rim.  When shooting a free throw you need to relax and take a couple of dribbles and concentrating on the front of the rim before shooting.

There are currently only 46 teams in men’s D1 basketball that shoot 75% or better from the free throw line.  I think perception and reality differ quite a bit.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The free throw shooting is extremely frustrating and really unacceptable. But with that said, I’ve played for some really good coaches and a few really bad ones, but I’ve never played for a coach that didn’t practice or emphasize free throw shooting. I highly, highly doubt that Archie, the son and brother of a coach and a guy that literally grew up in the gym, doesn’t emphasize free throw shooting. 

It kind of goes along with the rest of shooting discussion, we just don’t have great shooters on this team. Fitzner is the only pure shooter on this team. I think that trickles down to the free throw issue. I can’t speak to his Dayton teams, but Archie hasn’t had good shooters in his year+ at IU. 

But, I wouldn’t be more surprised if I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet than if Archie doesn’t emphasize free throw shooting. 

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think any team should be able to shoot 75% because it is all about getting a routine and doing it every time.  Sometimes it looks like Morgan gets the ball and just shoots it without taking a dribble or looking at the rim.  When shooting a free throw you need to relax and take a couple of dribbles and concentrating on the front of the rim before shooting.

Ya think?  You a former basketball player?  I know I am.

Archie emphasizes FT shooting. It's been said by people that have been to D1 practices around the country that we work on free throws just like every other team in the country.

The issue is that we don't have good shooters. I am not sure how often below average shooters end up above average from the FT line.

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The free throw shooting is extremely frustrating and really unacceptable. But with that said, I’ve played for some really good coaches and a few really bad ones, but I’ve never played for a coach that didn’t practice or emphasize free throw shooting. I highly, highly doubt that Archie, the son and brother of a coach and a guy that literally grew up in the gym, doesn’t emphasize free throw shooting. 

It kind of goes along with the rest of shooting discussion, we just don’t have great shooters on this team. Fitzner is the only pure shooter on this team. I think that trickles down to the free throw issue. I can’t speak to his Dayton teams, but Archie hasn’t had good shooters in his year+ at IU. 

But, I wouldn’t be more surprised if I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet than if Archie doesn’t emphasize free throw shooting. 

In my time playing hoops, FT shooting just wasn't something that could be "taught".  I grew up, and I mean grew up, where my Dad made me shoot 100 FT's everyday in the barn while he was drinking his beer.  Do kids these days have that?

4 minutes ago, rico said:

In my time playing hoops, FT shooting just wasn't something that could be "taught".  I grew up, and I mean grew up, where my Dad made me shoot 100 FT's everyday in the barn while he was drinking his beer.  Do kids these days have that?

When I was growing up, I was the one drinking the beer in the barn.  

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

If you shoot 75% vs 70% and take 20 attempts a game, it's literally a one-point difference.  I want IU to be better than they are, but it's unlikely the difference between a win and a loss in most games.

And this is what I was kind of driving towards.  If people say the percentage should be X%, it’s really a small difference in the grand scheme of things. Now can it be the difference in a one point loss?  Sure, but there are other variables that play a bigger role.

11 hours ago, BGleas said:

You serious, Clark?

11 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

If you shoot 75% vs 70% and take 20 attempts a game, it's literally a one-point difference.  I want IU to be better than they are, but it's unlikely the difference between a win and a loss in most games.

How many did we miss against the Razorbacks?

12 hours ago, StLHoosier said:

There are currently only 46 teams in men’s D1 basketball that shoot 75% or better from the free throw line.  I think perception and reality differ quite a bit.

I said they should be able to but I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that kids don't work on their own practicing free throws.  I use to just go out to my basketball court and practice shooting in general and free throws as well.

22 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

This is a two way street.  How many did they miss?

Edit: We shot 10-15, and they shot 11-19. 

Kind of funny how that works.  If we win that game, I imagine "Hog" fans would be blaming the loss on their FT shooting.

Just now, IU Scott said:

I said they should be able to but I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that kids don't work on their own practicing free throws.  I use to just go out to my basketball court and practice shooting in general and free throws as well.

But you can't practice a game situation.

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

But free throws is more about routine and getting a feel for it so if you practice it then in the game sit should just come natural.  I am sure Archie during practice tries to shoot free throws in game situations.

My best FT shooter shot 91%  his Senior year. He only missed7 all year but 6 were with less than 2 sec on theclock. He hits 5 of the 6 we are 4-0 in those games. Instead we were 0-4.  Pressure many times is self inflicted or self induced. Every time he was who I wanted on the line and I was confident in him but for some reason...

I really think it's a by product of not working on it when a player is young. I dont get noticed hitting free throws but I do for dunking and crazy handles etc..

Archived