Shot clock and offense

Right now I am bored and  have watched some  college games the last couple of days.  What I have witnessed is that offensive play is pretty bad right now over the landscape of college basketball.  I just see the shot clock at 30 seconds just promotes to many bad shots at the end of a shot clock.  Also it promotes kids playing to fast and turning the ball over to much. I see players getting the ball on the wing and just driving before actually looking over the defense and seeing what who is open.  

I also don't understand all the coaches using the dribble handoff offense because it brings to many defenders around the ball and it causes to many turnovers.  With 30 seconds I just feel it does not give an offense enough time to setup and run an efficient offense where players and the ball move side to side.  If you don't get an open look on your first set you will probably be taking a force jumper as the shot clock is expiring.  At the end of the Arizona and UCONN game today on 3 straight possession UA ran the shot clock down and took a force 3 from about 25 feet and luckily on one of them the defense fouled the shooter.

I am not in favor of eliminating the shot clock but it needs to go back to 45 seconds so it allows you time to run an offense without having to hurry through your sets  It promotes more offense where they move the ball and set off the ball screens.  To me the on the ball screen or the dribble handoff brings to many defenders around the ball.  To me the best offense is spreading the court  where you can't double team a player and it helps when you back cut because the land is open.  It is funny  that scoring is actually lower with a 30 second clock than it was without a shot clock and that is because a team could relax on offense and run an offense to get the best shot.  That could take a minute or it could take 10 seconds but teams use to take more quality shots than they do today.  I guess I am just a frustrated old school guy seeing the game I love being played like it is today.

Sorry about the rant but I am bored and watched some games the last few days.

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

It's not the shot clock, it's the lack of creativity by coaches when designing offensive plays.  Screening is almost a lost art.  You screen well and it's very easy to get a good shot in 20 seconds, let alone 30.

It just seems like players are playing to quick and part of that is the shot clock.  they just move like their heads are on fire instead of playing with a good pace and working for the good shot.  I think some of that is that they know they don't have time to set up much of an offense knowing that by the time they get across half court there are less than 25 seconds left on the clock.

Screening is a big part of it. Too many players screen air to avoid contact and too many players don't rub off a screen to seal their defender. I've seen games where players aren't even screening someone, they just run to a spot because that's the offense (this is much more common at the high school level).

1 hour ago, jv1972iu said:

Is part of the problem centered in poorer coaching of fundamentals in both high school and AAU basketball?  

I think that is part of the problem as well as the type of offense they use as well.  To much taking your man off the dribble and to much dribble handoff as well.

I don’t think the shot clock has anything to do with it. 30 seconds is plenty of time to get a good shot. I think the big issue in basketball right now is the move towards basically all ball screens and very little screening action off the ball. Everything is dribble-dribble drive with a ball screen, it’s just ball screens over and over until someone makes something happen. 

How often in current basketball do you see running a great shooter around off the ball screens to get open looks? Guys like Reggie Miller and Ray Allen made HOF livings running guys off screens away from the ball to get open. Everything now is dribble drive off ball screens.  

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Right now I am bored and  have watched some  college games the last couple of days.  What I have witnessed is that offensive play is pretty bad right now over the landscape of college basketball.  I just see the shot clock at 30 seconds just promotes to many bad shots at the end of a shot clock.  Also it promotes kids playing to fast and turning the ball over to much. I see players getting the ball on the wing and just driving before actually looking over the defense and seeing what who is open.  

I also don't understand all the coaches using the dribble handoff offense because it brings to many defenders around the ball and it causes to many turnovers.  With 30 seconds I just feel it does not give an offense enough time to setup and run an efficient offense where players and the ball move side to side.  If you don't get an open look on your first set you will probably be taking a force jumper as the shot clock is expiring.  At the end of the Arizona and UCONN game today on 3 straight possession UA ran the shot clock down and took a force 3 from about 25 feet and luckily on one of them the defense fouled the shooter.

I am not in favor of eliminating the shot clock but it needs to go back to 45 seconds so it allows you time to run an offense without having to hurry through your sets  It promotes more offense where they move the ball and set off the ball screens.  To me the on the ball screen or the dribble handoff brings to many defenders around the ball.  To me the best offense is spreading the court  where you can't double team a player and it helps when you back cut because the land is open.  It is funny  that scoring is actually lower with a 30 second clock than it was without a shot clock and that is because a team could relax on offense and run an offense to get the best shot.  That could take a minute or it could take 10 seconds but teams use to take more quality shots than they do today.  I guess I am just a frustrated old school guy seeing the game I love being played like it is today.

Sorry about the rant but I am bored and watched some games the last few days.

Agree 100%! The shot clock is BAD for college basketball! Seems that the NCAA wants to mimic the NBA and therefore get kids ready for the "play to pay mentality"! In reality, very few college "ballers" are ever going to make the "League", so why cater to them? The AAU circuit already mimics the NBA style! The NBA has shown it cares nothing about College Basketball. Let's get college basketball back!! 

Archived