Alford fired....Hoiberg to UCLA?

KDB

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Not to mention the BTT winner gets all of the press clippings since it is so close to Selection Sunday. The tourney winner is who they all talk about. It's almost as if the regular season conference champion is an after thought.

My biggest beef with it is that it wears the players down (not to mention the potential for more injuries) right in front of a far more important tournament. I don't care if IU goes one and out if they are fresh and healthy for the real tournament.

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

The regular season would be a lot more important if it was a true round robin but it's not.  A team could play IU, UM, and MSU twice while only playing Rutgers, Illinois, and PSU once.  It really doesn't tell us who the best team is.

You still get a more true champion playing 20 games over 3 or 4 on one weekend.  We all know why they have them and it is for the extra money from TV and the exposure they give them.  I really enjoy watching the tournament but to me I would rather be the regular season champion.  When people say that everyone should be in the NCAA tournament I always come back and say they are already in because of the conference tournaments.

7 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

My biggest beef with it is that it wears the players down (not to mention the potential for more injuries) right in front of a far more important tournament. I don't care if IU goes one and out if they are fresh and healthy for the real tournament.

Well it did not really hurt UCONN a few years ago when they had to win 5 games to win the conference tournament and then went on to win the national title.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well it did not really hurt UCONN a few years ago when they had to win 5 games to win the conference tournament and then went on to win the national title.

Don't cherry pick...go back and look at all of the stats for tourney winners.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

You still get a more true champion playing 20 games over 3 or 4 on one weekend.  We all know why they have them and it is for the extra money from TV and the exposure they give them.  I really enjoy watching the tournament but to me I would rather be the regular season champion.  When people say that everyone should be in the NCAA tournament I always come back and say they are already in because of the conference tournaments.

And that is why the SEC and ACC have them?  Money?

• 3 weeks later...

if haven’t already - coaching changes is a good follow on Twitter. Anyways - If this were to happen I wouldn’t be surprised  to see UCLA win a Natty in a few years. 

Gosh darn those phone calls (which are legal now)!!! I still find it funny how the NCAA slapped us with infractions for self reporting phone calls while they do jack sh*t to schools whose coaches have done far worse—all the while those schools stick behind their coach through thick and thin. Hell, some of these schools have won recent championships.

30 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

if haven’t already - coaching changes is a good follow on Twitter. Anyways - If this were to happen I wouldn’t be surprised  to see UCLA win a Natty in a few years. 

Gosh darn those phone calls (which are legal now)!!! I still find it funny how the NCAA slapped us with infractions for self reporting phone calls while they do jack sh*t to schools whose coaches have done far worse—all the while those schools stick behind their coach through thick and thin. Hell, some of these schools have won recent championships.

NCAA just accepted the sanctions we put on ourselves. 

25 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

NCAA just accepted the sanctions we put on ourselves. 

15 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Ahhh yes they upheld our self imposed sanctions plus slapped us with a 3 year probationary period which felt like a decade long period for reasons I won’t mention, but many people know why. 

Yeah, it would have been interesting to see what the NCAA would have given us if we just let them hand down the punishment.  I believe they were like, “Dang, if they want to give themselves the death penalty, we’re not going to stand in their way.”

Archived