Penn St. Post game

Indykev

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Regardless of anything else, Penn State lost because they had a horrific shooting day at the line.  Doesn't mean I won't take the victory, but let's not overreact and highlight other stuff as the reason IU won.  

We only won by 2 points, so there are a lot of factors that could have swung the game the other way other than free throws.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

We only won by 2 points, so there are a lot of factors that could have swung the game the other way other than free throws.

But, if Penn State shoots 70% from the line, the other 'factors' would have still resulted in a 6-8 point loss.  

1 hour ago, rico said:

That ain't what I was saying at all.  Penn St. is better when Stevens doesn't take as many shots.  

He is their best player and lead scorer, and they win when he scores more.

W against Va Tech (16 shots).

W against Wright State (10-15 shots)

L to Depaul in OT by a basket (9-20 shots)

W over Jacksonville St (9-18)

L at MD (9-24)

L at Bradley (7-20, but 12-14 from the stripe for 27 points)

It's always good to balance team scoring, but I'm not sure why you are discounting how PSU needs his scoring, and how shutting him down played a major role in our W, courtesy of Smith. 

34 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

But we NEVER do that.  PSU shoots free throws better than that every other game of the year.

Sure we lose if they hit better from the line, but there are stats like that in almost every college game. We have lost games because we couldn't hit from the line, of course. All kinds of factors go into a W or L, but our getting good D on the other guys' best player and hitting our own FTs shouldn't be discounted just because the other guys had an off night at the stripe.

5 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

He is their best player and lead scorer, and they win when he scores more.

W against Va Tech (16 shots).

W against Wright State (10-15 shots)

L to Depaul in OT by a basket (9-20 shots)

W over Jacksonville St (9-18)

L at MD (9-24)

L at Bradley (7-20, but 12-14 from the stripe for 27 points)

It's always good to balance team scoring, but I'm not sure why you are discounting how PSU needs his scoring, and how shutting him down played a major role in our W, courtesy of Smith. 

I know what the stats are HH.  Stevens just didn't take as many shots, and it wasn't because of Smith's defense.  JMO.

19 minutes ago, rico said:

I know what the stats are HH.  Stevens just didn't take as many shots, and it wasn't because of Smith's defense.  JMO.

You are right . It was a team effort on defense that slowed Stevens down. And Justin bought in. He found a way to contribute— by rebounding and playing good team defense- when clearly his offensive game wasn’t helping.

Lighten up on this one. You have made your opinion clearly known 

8 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

You are right . It was a team effort on defense that slowed Stevens down. And Justin bought in. He found a way to contribute— by rebounding and playing good team defense- when clearly his offensive game wasn’t helping.

Lighten up on this one. You have made your opinion clearly known 

Lighten up?  My name ain't Francis.  And that's the fact Jack.

53 minutes ago, rico said:

You're being stubborn on this one.  Justin Smith's defense had a lot to do with Stevens having a bad game.  If you think otherwise, you simply weren't watching the game with an unbiased eye.

6 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

You're being stubborn on this one.  Justin Smith's defense had a lot to do with Stevens having a bad game.  If you think otherwise, you simply weren't watching the game with an unbiased eye.

Nah, not trying to be stubborn at all.  The problem with Stevens is that he plays a lot of minutes.  To be honest he wears down at the ends of games.  A tired guy is a lot easier to guard.  Just like it is easier to get a rebound in a FT situation.

Archived