Penn St. Post game

Indykev

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

i agree that practice should dictate playing time to a degree.  Bit, when you give it to the kid and he produces, you reward him.  On the flip side, I don't care if Justin Smith is Lebron James in practice, he is killing us in games, and Moore deserved some of his 2nd half minutes.

Don't disagree, would have loved seeing Moore in the second, but I'll take the win!

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, CSprings Hoosier said:

All due respect: Romeo is not the best perimeter player on defense. Phinisee and Green are both better defenders on a consistent basis.  And we just barely beat Northwestern and Penn State: I’m Optimistic for the future but humbly opine that Archie is getting out-coached right now in the B1G by coaches with much less talent on their sides.

Disagree that Phinisee and Green have better defenders, at least the last two games.  Romeo has been a beast on both ends.  Changes the game with his length on defense.

24 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I can't really add anything from what's already been said, except, why do we try to nurse the lead from 5 minutes left on in? Crean used to do that, and it drove me nuts. I thought we should have attacked that trap and tried to score off of it. We pulled it back after breaking pressure 3 or 4 times.

All we did by milking the clock was allow Penn St to get back in the game and have a chance to tie at the end.

Happy with the W though...

There's playing not to lose, and playing to win. I didn't watch this game, but it's often the case that teams play conservative with the lead and that lets the other team back in. I'm not a fan of that style / game strategy but you see it often.

Don’t want this team to be bipolar. Juwan is the leader, but he needs to lead and stay out of foul trouble. Romeo is not used to NOT being the main scoring option, and although he sometimes takes an ill advised shot, can at times completely take over the game offensively. And showed that in the first half. Romeo has also made many unselfish passes to open teammates and hasn’t been rewarded for that yet. See: McRoberts missed 3 in the corner. I don’t think it can be both teams at the same time. I think that’s why we are missing cohesion. No one’s fault, but they need more time to let everything filter and settle. I think when they figure it out, offense will be awesome. But Romeo needs more than 3 shots in the half. 

Justin: in a funk. Tentative, and just chokes just about every time he has the ball. I agree with someone else’s comment that it appears Archie is trying to let him play through it.

Last but not least: is it me, or does this team seem to play hot potato with the ball. They are always fumbling and the ball seems to always be slipping out of their hands. Fitzner, Romeo, Devante, RP, Juwan, and Al all had that problem tonight.

3 minutes ago, CSprings Hoosier said:

All due respect: Romeo is not the best perimeter player on defense. Phinisee and Green are both better defenders on a consistent basis.  And we just barely beat Northwestern and Penn State: I’m Optimistic for the future but humbly opine that Archie is getting out-coached right now in the B1G by coaches with much less talent on their sides.

Sorry, but CAM is winning games you say he is out coached!

37 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Not everyone has been calling for Moore to transfer,  Some have even suggested he be given a chance.  He got it and produced.

Players should be rewarded for stepping up in a time of need.  Clifton did in the first half and was not rewarded.  Justin Smith did not step up at all in the first half, but was rewarded with significant PT in the 2nd (and still did not do much).  I wouldn't coach that way, but Archie does.  But, we won, which is the most important thing.

My only thought is that Archie is trying to keep Smith’s confidence up, because we’re going to need him down the stretch.  Luckily it hasn’t cost us yet.

3 minutes ago, CSprings Hoosier said:

Romeo has been one of our better defenders the last 3-4 games, and what he did against Vic law was impressive.  Ron and Green are studs too though.  And we barely beat NW and PS, but we’ve been short handed in practices the past 2 weeks, and are just now getting to practice 5 on 5 to develop chemistry and consistency.  Again, we’re 2-0 yet CAM is getting out coached?  I know you’re one of the more negative posters, but come on that just doesn’t add up.  I’m assuming in your mind we should be winning by 20 pts?

4 minutes ago, CSprings Hoosier said:

Everyone says it’s a mistake to leave Romeo in the corner on offense—and that we have to get the ball through him more—which contributes to everyone’s complaint that Romeo scored 15 in the first half and 2 in the second half. One minor example of a simple coaching strategy. But Nobody wants to say he got out coached because his 5 and 4 star recruits scraped past NW and PSU. Guys I’m not hating—glad we got the wins...but other than rutgers I don’t see anything less challenging in our future and hope the coach can get smarter and more creative with his talented team.

This is fair.  I don’t love the way Romeo is used in the offense, but I don’t think that means Archie’s been “outcoached” in the past two games.  It’s not like these have been fluke wins.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

If Penn State shoots anything resembling a decent percentage from the line.......

Still trying to understand why Moore's 1st half did not warrant some playing time in the 2nd.

Just listened to Moore post game comments. He had a lot of friends and family at the game. Maybe that's why Archie put him in for a few minutes? He also seemed very happy with his performance and feels things are coming together.

6 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Just listened to Moore post game comments. He had a lot of friends and family at the game. Maybe that's why Archie put him in for a few minutes? He also seemed very happy with his performance and feels things are coming together.

A very classy move by Archie. Let the kid who has struggled so much play in front of famil

This from ITH:

Indiana looked like it might cruise to victory in the second half as its lead blossomed to 14 points at the 14:47 mark. But Penn State, like other Indiana opponents this season, threw a three-quarters court trap at the Hoosiers after the break. And in what was once a game the Hoosiers took good care of the ball quickly faded away. Indiana got sped up and threw weak passes, leading to turnovers. Its turnover percentage ended at 23 percent for the contest, an area with which the Hoosiers continue to have issues.

Mentioned above I missed this game, but that kind of trap -- full court or three-quarters -- is something the team needs to work on, we'll see it again and soon.

Just now, Drroogh said:

Said it earlier, but a game I expected. Ugly, but a win! In spite of what some say, staff is winning when they should this year! Expecting good things going forward, now that the team is getting healthy!

I agree....in resent years, both Northwestern and Penn St. have always been tough, scrappy games. I saw alot of improvements tonight. I feel like this game could be our turning point for an improved season. 

My takes:

-We won’t be able to recover against good teams if the slow starts continue

-Turnovers have to stop ....16 tonight 

-FTs much better! But missed two in the crunch. 

-Rob P was the MVP....hope to get that performance most of the time from him. 

-Romeo has to be the focal point. Too many times he disappears for long periods.

-Morgan is killing us with the stupid fouls. He also needs to be stronger with the ball. He wasn’t good enough tonight.

-Justin Smith needs to worry about rebounding and playing D. That’s it! Somehow had 9 boards tonight. Still thought he was bad again.

-Defense was locked in at higher rate than past games so far IMO. 

-These kids play hard every second. I think JS does too, just struggling with confidence right now. Although I’ve questioned his effort, don’t think it’s effort. 

-Green is not a PG. Killed us at the end of the game with careless turnovers.

-Al is Jekyll and Hyde. He makes some great plays, but has some real boneheaded decisions as well (stupid fouls, really bad passes/decisions).

-Fitzner is a tweener. Not quick enough to play anywhere on the perimeter and not strong enough to bang down low. Didn’t think he contributed tonight.

-Moore had a surprisingly good few minutes, but is really weak and can tell not athletic enough. 

Ok so quick question but is it just me or do we get more touch fouls under the basket called on us vs us getting clobbered underneath and fewer fouls called for us? I mean it seems like that has happened even at Assembly Hall. Just was wondering if others are seeing what I am or do I have my crimson colored glasses on? 

7 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I missed the game but per ITH sounds like yes. From a low TO first half to a whole bunch after they instituted the 3/4 trap that sped us up in the 2nd (per ITH). 

I honestly dont think that trap turned us over at all. We broke it easily.. then turned it over in the half court when they went man. 

Archived