Penn St. Post game

Indykev

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

As much as I get upset with this team, you can see the potential especially during that span when they went up 14.  Lot to like and a lot to be concerned with.  I have to remind myself it’s only the first week of December.  

Same on early December. Agree with your point as well. Spotting them 10 to start and pushing the lead to 14.....plus 24 on the road vs a team who beat Top 15 Va Tech who oh by the way beat Purdue? Yes we need to clean up the turnovers but I'll take that road win last night all year long!

I don't understand why some fans can't be happy and content with a conference road win and not have to critique every little aspect of the game.  Some of you guys look at things as if you are the coach and not just the fan you are and to me it must be miserable not to be able to just look at things as a fan.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't understand why some fans can't be happy and content with a conference road win and not have to critique every little aspect of the game.  Some of you guys look at things as if you are the coach and not just the fan you are and to me it must be miserable not to be able to just look at things as a fan.

Because people are all different.  Very simple answer.  Not everyone is like you, or me or HTD.  And thank god for that :) 

7 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

As much as I get upset with this team, you can see the potential especially during that span when they went up 14.  Lot to like and a lot to be concerned with.  I have to remind myself it’s only the first week of December.  

Something to remember is that while it's frustrating at times that the last two games came down to the wire, both games were also a couple of plays away from IU pulling away and turning them into 12-15 point wins. There were moments in the second half of both where if we just eliminate a turnover or two here and there, grab a lose ball and/or a big 3 drops, etc., that we really could have put both games away fairly comfortably. It's early and it's a long season. Lot's of time to improve.  

57 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

The point some are trying to make is that he at least did good things.  Smith did the exact same bad things, without the good things and he was rewarded with 35+ minutes of play.  Not saying Moore should start by any means, but maybe give the kid more rope, Smith sure as heck gets alot 

Big win, no we have to handle Louisville at home, yet another big resume builder we need

Not saying Smith did great but getting 9 rebounds is not doing an good things as well

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Maybe because we understand that if we can get some of these issues cleared up, we can compete with Michigan and Michigan State, and if we don't we can't?

I'm sure everyone on this board understands Archie has forgotten more about basketball than we'll ever know. It's just some things are obvious, even to the casual eye.

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Because people are all different.  Very simple answer.  Not everyone is like you, or me or HTD.  And thank god for that :) 

I get as upset as anyone during the game but after a win I am not going to come on here and rip everything about a good road win.  Like I said it must be miserable not being able to see any positives in a game.

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Maybe because we understand that if we can get some of these issues cleared up, we can compete with Michigan and Michigan State, and if we don't we can't?

I'm sure everyone on this board understands Archie has forgotten more about basketball than we'll ever know. It's just some things are obvious, even to the casual eye.

The problem is that you have no influence on whether or not they get it turned it around.  Why stress over something you have absolutely  no control over and make yourself miserable.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The problem is that you have no influence on whether or not they get it turned it around.  Why stress over something you have absolutely  no control over and make yourself miserable.

Why stress over how the game has changed?  You seem to be caught up in that aspect.  You can't change it, but you talk about it all the time.  And who says anybody is stressed?  The guys are just critiquing the game and our players.

Well, I'm pretty far from miserable in any aspect of my life. And I don't "stress" about sports, I enjoy them. I like to mingle with other fans of my teams and discuss them. Hence, I'm here. This seems to be a civil board with knowledgeable people. 

Nothing that you need to "stress" over.

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I personally hated the fit of Archie's shirt last night and I thought Fitzner's hair was messy.  Regardless of the outcome, those two things absolutely ruined the game for me.

14 minutes ago, rico said:

Why stress over how the game has changed?  You seem to be caught up in that aspect.  You can't change it, but you talk about it all the time.  And who says anybody is stressed?  The guys are just critiquing the game and our players.

Touché,  just would be nice seeing people happy after a win

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Moore played in the first half because of foul trouble, was happy to see him do some good things, but I’m not surprised at all he didn’t play in the second half. It was a close road game IU really needed and he’s an inexperienced player who doesn’t have the trust of the coach. 

I think some of you are being too hard on Justin Smith, at least in terms of last night. He’s really struggling offensively, he has no confidence and the turnovers are maddening. But, he was did a fantastic job defensively and on the boards. He absolutely shut down a guy averaging 23 points per game on his home court. The job he did on Stevens was great. 

If this team is going to come close to what people had hoped it’s going to need Smith especially and Green to figure things out offensively, and I think last night was at least a step in Smith starting to do some things he can build on. 

Thank you. The hyper criticism of Smith is getting like dog piling, looking only for the negative. Smith has great upside, and it's good to see he played strong defensively and in a way that helped us win.

I'm having a hard time seeing the upside in Smith anymore. Definitely in retrospect I was too hard on him before last night's game, but I'm starting to feel a little validated in the frustration.

9 boards is great, sure. But it seems like he fails to properly box out on any given possession, so a lot of these boards aren't even that impactful other than just catching an uncontested ball. In fairness, I would have to go back and see those rebounds to know how accurate that actually is, but I know I have seen some lackluster box outs multiple games now.

He also just has absolutely no idea what to do once he has the ball, which makes him pretty useless on offense. The kid is averaging 22 minutes a game and that seems to only be going up, and he put up 0 points last night. That can't be acceptable in conference play. His turnovers are really bad as well, in part because he just isn't a smart passer. I am willing to be more patient on that however, as it seems a few of our players have that problem and we don't really have that offensive identity to make confident passes yet.

The most concerning part is just how regressive he has been from last year. I see almost no improvements in his game from last year compared to now. Granted this year is still a small sample size, but compared to 2018 he has regressed in every relevant stat category -- with the exception of a very small increase in total rebounds per game despite a 50% increase in minutes. Clifton Moore came in and gave us more in his short time than Smith did for very long periods of the game, and Clifton is an extremely green player who probably isn't suited for the Big Ten. If Justin is kept in to keep his confidence up, I'm losing faith in that effort. At some point, you have to produce. I can't wait on upside forever because sometimes it never materializes.

Someone said earlier in the thread if Justin only focused on defense and rebounding he would be miles better. I wholeheartedly agree with that. I know I'm piling on the kid, but I do admit he plays some good defense when he focuses. But it feels like he tries to snap himself out of bad play by getting an easy basket, and the truth is there is no easy basket with him. And he should be okay with that - we have some great scorers on our team. Focus on what you do well, and let the rest just be irrelevant. I know there's still plenty of time and I can't give up on the kid, I just hope he can have a more pragmatic approach to his contributions on the floor and stop trying to be a player that he is clearly not. If he does that, maybe improvements to other parts of his game will come easier.

All that said, a road win is a road win and I was pretty happy with how we played 30 minutes of that game. 2-0 is a huge start to this conference season, and I'm so glad we can breath for a moment and recollect ourselves before the rest of this year continues.

12 hours ago, CSprings Hoosier said:

Everyone says it’s a mistake to leave Romeo in the corner on offense—and that we have to get the ball through him more—which contributes to everyone’s complaint that Romeo scored 15 in the first half and 2 in the second half. One minor example of a simple coaching strategy. But Nobody wants to say he got out coached because his 5 and 4 star recruits scraped past NW and PSU. Guys I’m not hating—glad we got the wins...but other than rutgers I don’t see anything less challenging in our future and hope the coach can get smarter and more creative with his talented team.

I think there is a tendency for people to think with a binary mindset, especially high level fans. You say CAM got outcoached, but the come back is that Indiana 2-0 in Big 10 play. I don't think good coaching & wins are tied together so extensively. I mean, a lot of us could throw out Duke's starting lineup and get to the NCAA tournament. Does that make all of us good coaches?

Personally, I'll take the wins no matter how they come. I trust Archie will figure things out, but it's pretty great to win while he's doing so. I think another poster commented here about the depth he has as compared to what he worked with at Dayton. With those teams maybe he could go 6-7 deep which takes a lot of combination thinking about the equation. Now he's got 12-13 players to choose from & that is probably a much different problem to solve.

33 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Touché,  just would be nice seeing people happy after a win

Who says they/we aren't happy.  I can be happy with a win and still find areas of improvement to make it even better.  Sticking my head in the sand saying yay we won and thinking that is the end all to things is silly.  Just like like, i might be happy with the project i finished at work since i finished it on, doesn't mean i couldn't have done things better and constructive criticism is ok.  As long as we don't de-evolve into getting personal against players and coaches we should be find criticizing things we see as fans.  Doesn't make it right or wrong, just our own opinion.

22 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Thank you. The hyper criticism of Smith is getting like dog piling, looking only for the negative. Smith has great upside, and it's good to see he played strong defensively and in a way that helped us win.

I think you are correct its easy to pile on Smith for how he has been playing, but other than the rebounds (which he did pretty well on) what upside has he had.  I don't see it personally.  I think he has terrible hands and seems pretty weak around the rim.  Doesn't mean he won't get better but maybe he doesn't.  Do we have someone better on the bench to start than him, i don't know since McBob hasn't really did a whole lot better at this point. I am not trying to stat an argument since i really wanted Smith to be a borderline round 1 kind of pick.  I wanted to see him tearing the rim down with massive dunks but i haven't.

19 minutes ago, Bushmage said:

Someone said earlier in the thread if Justin only focused on defense and rebounding he would be miles better. I wholeheartedly agree with that. I know I'm piling on the kid, but I do admit he plays some good defense when he focuses. But it feels like he tries to snap himself out of bad play by getting an easy basket, and the truth is there is no easy basket with him. And he should be okay with that - we have some great scorers on our team. Focus on what you do well, and let the rest just be irrelevant. I know there's still plenty of time and I can't give up on the kid, I just hope he can have a more pragmatic approach to his contributions on the floor and stop trying to be a player that he is clearly not. If he does that, maybe improvements to other parts of his game will come easier.

If he does this and i am completely ok if that is how they would use him, we definitely can't have him and McBob on the floor at the same time.  

3 hours ago, McHoop said:

I've come to the conclusion that Justin Smith is pretty much Hanner Perea, 2.0.....................................

I think Hanner might have a higher basketball IQ though........

McHoop

Ouch...he's way better than Perea. At least he rebounded well last night. I think he'll come out of his funk at some point and we'll laugh together at statements like this.

Smith will be fine. Just needs a few moments to get his confidence back. His play hasn't been good we can all agree but long season. Showed so much promise last year just a matter of time before he finds his groove.

I agree with Iowa....can't have him and McRoberts on floor at same time. I know McRoberts is a protected species and yes he made a diving play to keep ball alive for Romeo three. He also got trapped, made a lazy pass and air mailed a 3. 3 possessions that went bad because of him. He's been around the block. We need better from our experienced players.

Archived