Mock Drafts - 2019 & 2020

5fouls

5 minutes ago, SIHoosier26 said:

And risk injury while making leaving millions on the table? While everyone benefits off you while you make nothing? That's a selfish opinion.

Well we differ on that as well because college athletes are compensated quit fairly.  What other college student gets about $40,000 a year and have no debt coming out of college.  They get everything paid for and have a lot of amenities to go along with what being a college athlete means.  They get free health care along with some of the best training staffs and facilities in the country.  I know I am old school and different because there is no way I would have given up my college eligibility just to go to the NBA early.  There have been very few career ending injuries in college that derailed professional opportunities and with how medicine has changed you can come back even stronger after surgery.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, SIHoosier26 said:

And risk injury while making leaving millions on the table? While everyone benefits off you while you make nothing? That's a selfish opinion.

Please, please don’t engage him in this dumb argument.  It’s a bad opinion, everyone knows it, and every time it devolves into a flamewar about “you can’t tell me my opinion is wrong” that makes me want to claw my eyes out.

1 minute ago, Calihoosier said:

Plus not to mention the term student athlete was orginally created in the 1900's to stop from players claiming workers disability and money compensation since a lot of former college football athletes were above the age of 25 in the 1900'/ look it up its all true.

For the very top players ( that have no interest in graduating) it's an absolute joke and completely unfair.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Well we differ on that as well because college athletes are compensated quit fairly.  What other college student gets about $40,000 a year and have no debt coming out of college.  They get everything paid for and have a lot of amenities to go along with what being a college athlete means.  They get free health care along with some of the best training staffs and facilities in the country.  I know I am old school and different because there is no way I would have given up my college eligibility just to go to the NBA early.  There have been very few career ending injuries in college that derailed professional opportunities and with how medicine has changed you can come back even stronger after surgery.

But you need to separate that these aren't students a lot of these kids come to this school for basketball reasons aka nba/oversea's most of the time  

3 minutes ago, SIHoosier26 said:

For the very top players ( that have no interest in graduating) it's an absolute joke and completely unfair.

If they think it is unfair then go to the G-league to play and leave college basketball to what it is supposed to be and that is for the student athlete.

2 minutes ago, Calihoosier said:

But you need to separate that these aren't students a lot of these kids come to this school for basketball reasons aka nba/oversea's most of the time  

That should not matter as long as they are at the university because their scholarship is for both sports and academics.  They are compensated quit fairly and like I said if they don't like it go somewhere else to get to the NBA.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I'm talking about the VERY TOP players, the surefire NBA talents, lottery picks. Most of them come to school for a year with literally no interest in graduating. They go to school for a year or 2, a lot of times from low income families and they get absolutely nothing in return.

The school parades them around for a year, sells their jerseys, sells tickets, the coaches make millions in salary off of landing them, sometimes their parents get money from AAU programs, the NCAA makes a fortune off them, and the fans get to watch them, yet THE ACTUAL PLAYER with the special talent isn't allowed to make a cent. 

It's an absolute joke,  and that's why if I had a kid with that kind of talent I would advise him to leave and not look back. You can always get your degree later on, it's not worth risking a major injury or dropping in the draft and leaving millions on the table. That's why if anyone thinks they should stay or a parent/coach advises them to stay, that's a SELFISH opinion.

Also, I guarantee a lot of the people saying that would leave too given the chance.

16 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Please, please don’t engage him in this dumb argument.  It’s a bad opinion, everyone knows it, and every time it devolves into a flamewar about “you can’t tell me my opinion is wrong” that makes me want to claw my eyes out.

Yeah he got me, I already messaged him back, I'll just leave it alone now.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That should not matter as long as they are at the university because their scholarship is for both sports and academics.  They are compensated quit fairly and like I said if they don't like it go somewhere else to get to the NBA.

Look I get it I truly do but when the term student athlete was originally created to protect themselves from paying people who had no business being in school the ncaa model seems like a farce that is only used when convenient for them. Don't get me wrong paying players is no longer a good idea but they need to do something since it is a problem that the ncaa created by being shady in the 1900's

6 minutes ago, SIHoosier26 said:

I'm talking about the VERY TOP players, the surefire NBA talents, lottery picks. Most of them come to school for a year with literally no interest in graduating. They go to school for a year or 2, a lot of times from low income families and they get absolutely nothing in return.

The school parades them around for a year, sells their jerseys, sells tickets, the coaches make millions in salary off of landing them, sometimes their parents get money from AAU programs, the NCAA makes a fortune off them, and the fans get to watch them, yet THE ACTUAL PLAYER with the special talent isn't allowed to make a cent. 

It's an absolute joke,  and that's why if I had a kid with that kind of talent I would advise him to leave and not look back. You can always get your degree later on, it's not worth risking a major injury or dropping in the draft and leaving millions on the table. That's why if anyone thinks they should stay or a parent/coach advises them to stay, that's a SELFISH opinion.

Also, I guarantee a lot of the people saying that would leave too given the chance.

Like I said if those very top players don't want to be in college then go some where else instead of college.  We should not bow down and change rules for players who are less than 1% of players who play college sports.

32 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Nope, because I feel players should stay 4 years since the NBA will still be there

NBA will always be there, just like schools will always be there to finish one's degree, but there's a thing called 'window of opportunity'. There can be situations where a kid had a really good media exposure in March Madness and projected to be a lottery pick, then chose to stay in school only to see his draft stock plummeted. Also, players have to bear the risk of injury before even putting their names in the draft. For kids like Zion Williamson or RJ Barrett, it won't really matter when they put their names in the draft barring injuries, but there are lots of other kids that have relatively small window of opportunities. When they get a chance to get drafted in the first round, they must take it. After one or a few years of college, they only have about a dozen years to play professionally if they're good enough and lucky. 

1 minute ago, addictedtoIU said:

NBA will always be there, just like schools will always be there to finish one's degree, but there's a thing called 'window of opportunity'. There can be situations where a kid had a really good media exposure in March Madness and projected to be a lottery pick, then chose to stay in school only to see his draft stock plummeted. Also, players have to bear the risk of injury before even putting their names in the draft. For kids like Zion Williamson or RJ Barrett, it won't really matter when they put their names in the draft barring injuries, but there are lots of other kids that have relatively small window of opportunities. When they get a chance to get drafted in the first round, they must take it. After one or a few years of college, they only have about a dozen years to play professionally if they're good enough and lucky. 

Well if you really are not good enough and you have to worry about the longer you stay the worse you get then you will never make it in the NBA anyways.  To me I would rather stay in school and if they see I am not an NBA player that is better than going to the NBA and being out of it in 2 years when they find that I can't play at that level.  Like I said I know I am a lot different than you guys but to me making these decisions solely on money is not the right way in making those lifetime decisions.

51 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well if you really are not good enough and you have to worry about the longer you stay the worse you get then you will never make it in the NBA anyways.  To me I would rather stay in school and if they see I am not an NBA player that is better than going to the NBA and being out of it in 2 years when they find that I can't play at that level.  Like I said I know I am a lot different than you guys but to me making these decisions solely on money is not the right way in making those lifetime decisions.

Scott, stop it.  Or I am going to use the "Red Foreman" line on you.

1 hour ago, SIHoosier26 said:

I’m curious about the insurance policies athletes can get. What are the rates, how often/many are taken out each year by college athletes, etc. 

17 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

I’m curious about the insurance policies athletes can get. What are the rates, how often/many are taken out each year by college athletes, etc. 

You brought this up and I remember this article....but it pertains to football.  

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/leonard-fournettes-10m-policies-and-the-unregulated-world-of-player-protection/

What everyone is losing sight of is that this is a personal (player and family) choice.  There is no right or wrong approach.  If Romeo and his family decide to come back to IU, and wait another year before making his NBA millions, he is doing it because he feels that is the correct choice for him.  He's weighed the pros and cons of going or staying, and he's made a choice for himself.

While it's wrong to criticize a kid for leaving early to follow his dream, it's equally wrong to assume that the only logical approach for a player of Romeo's talent is to leave and grab the money at the first opportunity. 

While it's true a potential lottery pick may miss out a couple million by waiting a year (and risking injury), that same player could be risking something even worse by not getting a second contract or getting labelled as a bust if they leave college too early.  If Romeo, or any other player, feels that there is a hole in their game that needs to be fixed, and decide to fix it before taking the leap to the pros, then that is a sign of maturity that tells me a lot about the player. 

If they leave with the hole still in their game, who knows how patient their NBA team is going to be waiting for them to fix it.  A lottery team this season will likely have a lottery pick again next season as well.    NBA teams are as guilty as college basketball fans, always looking at the next shiny new thing out there (the Movement will save IU basketball).

All that said, something that hasn't got a lot of attention, is Romeo's rebounding.  It's been very good.  I can tell you the NBA has taken a note of that as a positive.

1 hour ago, rico said:

Scott, stop it.  Or I am going to use the "Red Foreman" line on you.

So you are going to put your foot in my A$$.  It is just to easy to get these young guys stirred up on this topic because I know their feelings on this subject. Yes I believe in everything I say on this topic but I am just trying to get this board stirred up because it is a little slow.

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

What everyone is losing sight of is that this is a personal (player and family) choice.  There is no right or wrong approach.  If Romeo and his family decide to come back to IU, and wait another year before making his NBA millions, he is doing it because he feels that is the correct choice for him.  He's weighed the pros and cons of going or staying, and he's made a choice for himself.

While it's wrong to criticize a kid for leaving early to follow his dream, it's equally wrong to assume that the only logical approach for a player of Romeo's talent is to leave and grab the money at the first opportunity. 

While it's true a potential lottery pick may miss out a couple million by waiting a year (and risking injury), that same player could be risking something even worse by not getting a second contract or getting labelled as a bust if they leave college too early.  If Romeo, or any other player, feels that there is a hole in their game that needs to be fixed, and decide to fix it before taking the leap to the pros, then that is a sign of maturity that tells me a lot about the player. 

If they leave with the hole still in their game, who knows how patient their NBA team is going to be waiting for them to fix it.  A lottery team this season will likely have a lottery pick again next season ass well.    NBA teams are as guilty as college basketball fans, always looking at the next shiny new thing out there (the Movement will save IU basketball).

All that said, something that hasn't got a lot of attention, is Romeo's rebounding.  It's been very good.  I can tell you the NBA has taken a note of that as a positive.

Very well said and a you are a lot better saying what I want to say.  Also there were players like Sampson, Ewing and Duncan who could have been picked #1 no matter when they came out but stayed 4 years.  Staying those 4 years did not impact their career in anyway and had a long and illustrious careers so I don't see nay difference if kids decide to stay 4 years today.

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If they leave with the hole still in their game, who knows how patient their NBA team is going to be waiting for them to fix it.  A lottery team this season will likely have a lottery pick again next season ass well.    NBA teams are as guilty as college basketball fans, always looking at the next shiny new thing out there (the Movement will save IU basketball).

Very good post, it's 100% up to the kid and his family to decide what they want to do.

Are you really hearing that he might come back? Or was that just tongue in cheek?

30 minutes ago, SIHoosier26 said:

Very good post, it's 100% up to the kid and his family to decide what they want to do.

Are you really hearing that he might come back? Or was that just tongue in cheek?

The information I received came during Romeo's junior season at New Albany.  The gist of the conversation was that the Langford's did not find the prospect of being a one and done particularly appealing.  The information was provided by someone very close to the situation, and it was unsolicited and given during casual conversation.  When I heard it, I did not think that much of it, because IU was not even in the picture at that point (Crean was still the coach).  Then, over the next few months, some things that supported the comment began to surface.  I won't list them all, but the the most obvious was that Duke and Kentucky, both notorious one and done factories, and long believed to be the favorites for Romeo (along with Louisville), suddenly started sliding down his list.  Neither made his final six.  Once you begin connecting that and some of the other dots, and combining those with looking at the maturity and personality of the young man, it's easy to believe the information I received 2 years ago has some legitimacy to it.

Now, does all that mean Romeo won't jump?  No.  Things change over time.  If he feels that after this season, the time is right, then he will do it.  At the same time, he's not going to jump just because it's expected (see Duke and UK), or if he's solely getting drafted by a team based on potential.  When he goes to the NBA, he's going because he feels he can make an immediate impact, playing the sport he loves, and not because it provides him the quickest way to a paycheck. 

Man I hope you're right, still think it's highly unlikely though. Top 5-10 picks just don't come back to school very often. I would advise him to go in that situation but he and his parents might be thinking a bit differently. He does seem like a good kid that thinks long and hard about his decisions. Hopefully he makes the right one for him when the time comes.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Logical point. Better for them to find out you can't make it before they pay you a few million than after they've invested a few million and spent time with you trying to help you make it. 

All good parents prefer their kids not to make a lot of money and not be trained by the best in a given profession. 

I would love for him to come back, but he will be a lottery pick and it’s just too much of risk. Look at the rest of our team. It’s one injury after another. This is happening with arguably the best trainer in all of college basketball. 

I believe it’s highly unlikely he comes back.  

5 hours ago, SIHoosier26 said:

It's also selfish to expect him to, because if it were me I would go and not look back.

I agree with you.  Fortunately, there were not any posts this was the expectation.  Seems the consensus is that if he comes back, it will be a luxury and will surprise few.  If he goes pro, then great, go be a millionaire doing what you love.  That move will also surprise no one.

My expectation is Romeo does what he believes best for him.

I think it’s unlikely Romeo returns (barring injury) as he looks to be a sure fire lottery pick and already has a very well rounded game (pick not based on potential), with the only current weakness being outside shooting. I mean the kid as a frosh is leading the B1G in FT attempts. 

But Fouls posts are right on, and based on some well-sourced info regardless of when. We’ll be watching with interest late spring — AFTER our deep tourney run!

Archived