One and Done rule on the way OUT

Indykev

9 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

You think they will let kids come straight of high school again?  I kind of doubt that.  Would a two-and-done rule with no option to come straight of high school fix anything?

He made it sound that coming straight out might actually be an option.  He believes that it might be better for them to be trained in the farm system, than to attend college.  I'm all for them trying something new.  The system that is currently in place, just isn't working.  It's not working for college basketball, and it's definitely not working for the NBA.

6 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

He made it sound that coming straight out might actually be an option.  He believes that it might be better for them to be trained in the farm system, than to attend college.  I'm all for them trying something new.  The system that is currently in place, just isn't working.  It's not working for college basketball, and it's definitely not working for the NBA.

You’re right, I should have read more than just the headline before I posted.  The college hockey/NHL system is interesting, I was unaware of that.

I think we will definitely see the one and done rule going away at some point soon, and I think direct from high school to the NBA will come back. Why straight from high school and not moving towards a 2 year after high school requirement? Because of the G-League. 

I posted this tons of times, but while many think the 1 and done rule was largely about keeping GM’s out of high school gyms and young players not developing quickly enough, and those were factors, the big reason and one people often don’t talk about is that the team’s couldn’t sell high school kids to sponsors and season ticket holders. They had no market value. So the last 10 years the NBA used the NCAA for free marketing of these players. 

I saw it firsthand. When I was with the Celtics we drafted Kendrick Perkins, Al Jefferson and Gerald Green right out of high school. It was very tough for the marketing and sales teams to sell those guys. There wasn’t Facebook and Instagram for these kids to market themselves. There weren’t hundreds of hours of highlight reels to sell, etc, and what bad teams had to sell was their first round pick. 

But, social media and now the fact that the Developmental League has financial backing with a sponsor changes the game. It legitimizes the G-League and probably gives it more TV exposure. Just the fact that the G-League has grown over the last 10 years changes everything. But with social and much more exposure for the G-League teams can. Now draft these kids and showcase their potential in the G-League. 

8 hours ago, BGleas said:

I think we will definitely see the one and done rule going away at some point soon, and I think direct from high school to the NBA will come back. Why straight from high school and not moving towards a 2 year after high school requirement? Because of the G-League. 

I posted this tons of times, but while many think the 1 and done rule was largely about keeping GM’s out of high school gyms and young players not developing quickly enough, and those were factors, the big reason and one people often don’t talk about is that the team’s couldn’t sell high school kids to sponsors and season ticket holders. They had no market value. So the last 10 years the NBA used the NCAA for free marketing of these players. 

I saw it firsthand. When I was with the Celtics we drafted Kendrick Perkins, Al Jefferson and Gerald Green right out of high school. It was very tough for the marketing and sales teams to sell those guys. There wasn’t Facebook and Instagram for these kids to market themselves. There weren’t hundreds of hours of highlight reels to sell, etc, and what bad teams had to sell was their first round pick. 

But, social media and now the fact that the Developmental League has financial backing with a sponsor changes the game. It legitimizes the G-League and probably gives it more TV exposure. Just the fact that the G-League has grown over the last 10 years changes everything. But with social and much more exposure for the G-League teams can. Now draft these kids and showcase their potential in the G-League. 

Appreciate your insight to this topic.  Especially knowing your background and insight, having worked for the Celtics.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Go to the baseball rule, go straight from high school or go to college for 3 years.

I think with basketball it should be go straight from high school or go to college for a minimum of 2 years. I think 3 years is too long for basketball and would push too many to trying to go straight out of high school.

Baseball is a different animal and takes the players a lot longer to develop their complete skill set than basketball. 

14 hours ago, Indykev said:

What do you say HSN? Which way do you want to see it go. I like the 0 or 2 myself. go out of HS or go to college for 2 years.

I think NBA teams wouldn't want to send their scouts to high school gyms. That's just too many games to attend and watch. 3 years seems too long; I think shelf-life of basketball players is generally shorter than that of baseball players. So I'm betting on 2 years. 

37 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

I think NBA teams wouldn't want to send their scouts to high school gyms. That's just too many games to attend and watch. 3 years seems too long; I think shelf-life of basketball players is generally shorter than that of baseball players. So I'm betting on 2 years. 

They're already scouting high school players heavily. The one and done rule didn't stop NBA front offices from being all over high school kids, they need to know these kids before they get to their 1 year of college. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

They're already scouting high school players heavily. The one and done rule didn't stop NBA front offices from being all over high school kids, they need to know these kids before they get to their 1 year of college. 

Thanks BGleas for info! Then, it makes sense to me for NBA to simply get rid of one and done rule. NBA's player development programs should be better colleages' unless NBA has good reasons to monitor these one and done kids in collegiate level (i.e. maturity, other intangible aspects, etc.).

40 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

Thanks BGleas for info! Then, it makes sense to me for NBA to simply get rid of one and done rule. NBA's player development programs should be better colleages' unless NBA has good reasons to monitor these one and done kids in collegiate level (i.e. maturity, other intangible aspects, etc.).

Absolutely! The one and done rule isn't really for maturing or refining skills, these guys would get way more prepared for the NBA in the G-League than in college, the issue is that at least up until now there was no other outlet for the marketing of the players than the NCAA. The NCAA Tournament alone provides vastly more free marketing for players than anything the G-League, Europe, etc. could ever provide. 

People in Boston are fired up for Jayson Tatum. People in LA are fired up for Lonzo Ball. Same with the UK guys and where they landed. That would not be the case, and teams would have a much more difficult time selling these kids if it wasn't for the NCAA and March Madness. 

13 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Absolutely! The one and done rule isn't really for maturing or refining skills, these guys would get way more prepared for the NBA in the G-League than in college, the issue is that at least up until now there was no other outlet for the marketing of the players than the NCAA. The NCAA Tournament alone provides vastly more free marketing for players than anything the G-League, Europe, etc. could ever provide. 

People in Boston are fired up for Jayson Tatum. People in LA are fired up for Lonzo Ball. Same with the UK guys and where they landed. That would not be the case, and teams would have a much more difficult time selling these kids if it wasn't for the NCAA and March Madness. 

Do you think this is a solvable problem for the G League? I can't imagine the marketing factor ever coming close to the same as the NCAA for prospects. It's an odd problem because I want the NBA to help with this issue but I don't know the first thing they should do about it.

PLEASE LET THIS BE FACT !! I HAVE HATED THE NBA for telling a kid (who did not want to go to college at all ) you MUST attend College for at least ONE YEAR !! That was the silliest and most senseless rule ever put in place regarding College Basketball ( for kids graduATING FROM HIGH SCHOOL [OR NOT] and still being forced to attend college under FALSE PRETENSES  !! IN MY HONEST OPINION !!!

17 minutes ago, Bushmage said:

Do you think this is a solvable problem for the G League? I can't imagine the marketing factor ever coming close to the same as the NCAA for prospects. It's an odd problem because I want the NBA to help with this issue but I don't know the first thing they should do about it.

I think the fact that the Development League now has a sponsor in Gatorade might be the game-changer we've been waiting for. Agree, it will never remotely rival the NCAA/March Madness, but there are now financial reasons for both the NBA and Gatorade to want to put more focus on marketing the G-League. It won't be overnight, but I think if the NBA can make the G-League more marketable with the help of Gatorade and other potential sponsors, then it could really help. Also, I believe every team now has their own G-League affiliate, which wasn't the case the first several years of the league. 

The other aspect is social media and the rise of recruiting sites/outlets. Marketing has changed tremendously over the past decade. When the 1 and done rule came about sites like Facebook and YouTube were in their infancy. We didn't hours of Kendrick Perkins tape on YouTube in 2003. Now if a team drafted a kid out of high school they can post on their website, social media, and eblast highlight mixtapes to season ticket holders and sponsors. They can have the kid in their facility and their uniform making highlight tapes and post to Instagram, Snapchat, YouTube, etc. before he ever steps foot on the court. So the marketing channels have changed drastically as well. 

You'll never match the value of March Madness, but the landscape has definitely changed and changed in a way that makes letting kids go to the NBA directly from high school easier for the NBA to digest IMO. 

19 minutes ago, hoosiertildeath said:

PLEASE LET THIS BE FACT !! I HAVE HATED THE NBA for telling a kid (who did not want to go to college at all ) you MUST attend College for at least ONE YEAR !! That was the silliest and most senseless rule ever put in place regarding College Basketball ( for kids graduATING FROM HIGH SCHOOL [OR NOT] and still being forced to attend college under FALSE PRETENSES  !! IN MY HONEST OPINION !!!

Agreed.  It has lead to other issues as well such as bending the rules on admissions requirements to get them into school for 1 year.  Not a fan at all of this rule.  In fact I think we should go the other route and make them stay a minimum 3 years if they are on track to graduate and 4 years if not.  I'm old school and value education though.  I miss the days of student athletes and not a farm system to get to the NBA.  If the NBA wants a farm system they need to create one and fund it.

I'm OLD SCHOOL also !! AND, I believe that we should let the high school GRADS decide for THEMSELVES whether they go to college or not !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT SHOULD NEVER EVER BE DICTATED TO THEM (High school GRADS) BY A BUNCH OF SELF RIGHTEOUS DICTATORS what field of employment they should seek !! This is SUPPOSED to be THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA , THE LAND OF THE FREE { TO CHOOSE} AMEN and -30-

35 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think the fact that the Development League now has a sponsor in Gatorade might be the game-changer we've been waiting for. Agree, it will never remotely rival the NCAA/March Madness, but there are now financial reasons for both the NBA and Gatorade to want to put more focus on marketing the G-League. It won't be overnight, but I think if the NBA can make the G-League more marketable with the help of Gatorade and other potential sponsors, then it could really help. Also, I believe every team now has their own G-League affiliate, which wasn't the case the first several years of the league. 

The other aspect is social media and the rise of recruiting sites/outlets. Marketing has changed tremendously over the past decade. When the 1 and done rule came about sites like Facebook and YouTube were in their infancy. We didn't hours of Kendrick Perkins tape on YouTube in 2003. Now if a team drafted a kid out of high school they can post on their website, social media, and eblast highlight mixtapes to season ticket holders and sponsors. They can have the kid in their facility and their uniform making highlight tapes and post to Instagram, Snapchat, YouTube, etc. before he ever steps foot on the court. So the marketing channels have changed drastically as well. 

You'll never match the value of March Madness, but the landscape has definitely changed and changed in a way that makes letting kids go to the NBA directly from high school easier for the NBA to digest IMO. 

They might try to promote the G-League but will fans watch this.  I know a lot of basketball fans that don't even watch the NBA let alone watch the G-league.

3 minutes ago, hoosiertildeath said:

I'm OLD SCHOOL also !! AND, I believe that we should let the high school GRADS decide for THEMSELVES whether they go to college or not !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT SHOULD NEVER EVER BE DICTATED TO THEM (High school GRADS) BY A BUNCH OF SELF RIGHTEOUS DICTATORS what field of employment they should seek !! This is SUPPOSED to be THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA , THE LAND OF THE FREE { TO CHOOSE} AMEN and -30-

Why can't the NBA have standards to me for hire just like any other business.  If a smart kid wants to become a doctor but doesn't want to go to med school should they be allowed.

Archived