CBS Ex Spurts pick the BIG

Drroogh

Unfortunately not much love for IU. 

The article did not mention our injuries which has slowed the progression of this team, and may indicate that IU has a high ceiling.  They mentioned winning close games as a negative, but I see it as a positive.  Lots of B1G games will be grinders and winning the close ones bodes well for IU.

I haven't seen Ignas Brazdeikas play so I don't know whether or not he's all that this article says he is.  But if I was CAM, I would put this article on the bulletin board and make sure Romeo reads it.

IU will get a chance soon to find out how good the Wolverines are as we play them 2x in January (1/06 and 1/25).

50 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/2018-19-big-ten-expert-picks-predicted-order-of-finish-overrated-and-underrated-teams-at-mid-term/

Wow, while they don't bash IU the Title "Most Overrated" says a lot! They seem to love PUke as well? 

They're also ignoring how streaky and inefficient Carson has been.  His overall stats look pretty solid hiding his inefficiency with some very high-level performances.  Look for his efficiency to slide noticeably as Turdue gets into league play and faces better defenses.

...and sorry experts...IU is better than you are giving credit for.  Moreover, they are young and if they can get past the injuries, they'll be that much better with a season's worth of experience.

As has been mentioned, this is great bulletin board material if I'm Archie. Keep grinding away day by day, the cream will rise to the top by season's end. We are down Jerome this season which I think should not be overlooked when assessing our "ceiling" the rest of the way in for expectations this season, but still plenty of talent for a successful season by our standards. I'd be ready to tangle with any team in the country on a neutral floor when we've got a 1-2 punch of Juwan + Romeo with a very strong supporting cast coming from Phinisee, Smith, Green, Durham, etc. Don't underestimate our mental toughness as a unit winning close games like we have recently too. Not a lot to dislike outside of our horrible showing at Duke this season so far.

^^^ I've been saying it all along. And I will say it again.  Those close games will prove invaluable as IU matriculates through the B1G.  They are a plus, not a negative.  A  B1G, I might add which may very well be the most evenly contested ever.  Our kids never give up or never get in. And they now are experienced as to what it takes to win... close game or not.

1 hour ago, slojoe said:

Unfortunately not much love for IU. 

The article did not mention our injuries which has slowed the progression of this team, and may indicate that IU has a high ceiling.  They mentioned winning close games as a negative, but I see it as a positive.  Lots of B1G games will be grinders and winning the close ones bodes well for IU.

I haven't seen Ignas Brazdeikas play so I don't know whether or not he's all that this article says he is.  But if I was CAM, I would put this article on the bulletin board and make sure Romeo reads it.

IU will get a chance soon to find out how good the Wolverines are as we play them 2x in January (1/06 and 1/25).

A few issues....first off Ignas is a good player...but he is also turning 20 and is older than most freshman...he has played high level international ball for awhile and is not your typical freshman. That said he is like the 4th or 5th option on his team...and has NO pressure on him and get's to play off of Matthews and company as opposed to having to create his own shot etc. Romeo and Ignas are night and day different and one is a far superior talent...even though the other may have terrific season benefiting from those around him. Michigan is a tough battle tested team that has tons of experience...I do think they are the best in the B1G but they are beatable. You just have to force the right people to shoot and not allow the wrong ones....and contain the dribble penetration and rebound the ball. Long shot to win in Ann Arbor but I think it's 50-50 at home.

16 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

So close wins against good team now mean we lose against good teams later. Seems like a flawed argument 

I think they are using the Vegas accounting for close wins...where if the win probability in the last couple mins is negative or 50-50 then they assume that the game could have gone either way. So instead of giving you full credit they give you what's called a 1/2 a win. Basically saying yes you won but you could just as easily lost so you only get half the credit....same thing with losses if you lose close then you don't get a full loss. The thing is...we've really only had two prime time games. We got blown out vs Duke and we won a game we trailed through out and hit a last second 30' three to win. In the eyes of those who haven't followed us...we don't look that strong. Beating NW and PSU close aren't going to really earn you any special marks as we were expected to win those. Once we beat a ranked opponent...and especially on the road we likely will get more recognition.

11 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

He's the leading scorer and 2nd in shot attempts only by 10, next closest 21 shots behind him.  

Are you saying they HAVE 4 or 5 options?  

Yes...I don't think they run their offense "through him". He benefits a TON from Matthews and Simpson breaking down the defense.....also from Livers and Poole being great shooters and teams afraid to leave them. He is a great player but it isn't like they put the ball in his hands and ask him to create. A big part of his offense is because he "plays off" those other guys. Romeo has to create his own offense. Both are very good players but they get their offense in two very different ways. That was my point. Not that he is the 4th or 5th best scorer etc...but Michigan has a lot more around him that he benefits a great deal from...and defenses have been choosing to let him be the one to beat them. If he continues...they may decide that isn't the best choice and if they decided to make him the focus of taking the game away from him the way teams do Romeo...scoring would be much more difficult for him.

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

They're also ignoring how streaky and inefficient Carson has been.  His overall stats look pretty solid hiding his inefficiency with some very high-level performances.  Look for his efficiency to slide noticeably as Turdue gets into league play and faces better defenses.

...and sorry experts...IU is better than you are giving credit for.  Moreover, they are young and if they can get past the injuries, they'll be that much better with a season's worth of experience.

Part of the inefficiency problem is Purdue's other offensive options are sometimes inconsistent leaving much of the scoring burden on Edwards.  Of course, as you say that is likely to get worse in the B1G.

I found it interesting that two of the teams they like in front of us lost to two teams we beat. I know the transitive property doesn't work exactly, but I don't think it's a stretch to say without the injuries we've had our only loss would be to Duke and some of those close games wouldn't have been as close.  

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

I found it interesting that two of the teams they like in front of us lost to two teams we beat. I know the transitive property doesn't work exactly, but I don't think it's a stretch to say without the injuries we've had our only loss would be to Duke and some of those close games wouldn't have been as close.  

Good catch.  And as we saw in De'Ron's last game, we are not just a touch away from one loss.... but rather one dunk from a loss.  Truly feel as time goes by, De'Ron will have more trust in his injured leg... and we will see more dunks from him going forward.

12 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

This causes me to ask the question.  Do we really have 2 of the top 5 players in the league or have we drank the red kool aid while wearing our crimson shades.  

Juwan is. Romeo is probably second team all B1G and definitely a top freshman. The rest of the team is very young and inconsistent....problem is there just isn’t enough basketball played to know who is for real yet and typically young teams get better as the season goes...at least that is what they always say about UK..and we start two freshman and two sophomores.

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I like how he credits Wisconsin for 'losing closely to Marquette in OT' in his opening dialogue, while there is nary a mention of the beatdown we gave Marquette in the section where we are labelled overrated..

I’m not trying to bad mouth Purdue but let’s be real...they were all picked and ranked ahead of us in every publication and yet they are almost a 500 basketball team that has been exposed and has balance issues....might not even make the tournament and yet we are overrated??

11 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’m not trying to bad mouth Purdue but let’s be real...they were all picked and ranked ahead of us in every publication and yet they are almost a 500 basketball team that has been exposed and has balance issues....might not even make the tournament and yet we are overrated??

Who we should be bad-mouthing are the idiots that didn't see it coming (and it wasn't just the dips**ts on GBI).  I've been saying since the end of last season that Carson Edwards would be much less efficient this year because defenses could key on him.  I'm also on record doubting Nojel Eastern's big jump and his overrated defense (yes, he's good defensively, but he's not going to shut out Romeo...not even close) and Harms' effectiveness as a starter.  I wasn't alone either.  I saw similar sentiments among several of us unpaid amateurs on this forum.  The so-called national experts didn't do any homework in christening this year's Toiletmakers as a top-20 team.  It was lazy and relied heavily on talent that graduated and an inflated opinion of Carson Edwards' ability to carry a young team with modest talent.  Its annoying when paid "experts" are so freaking lazy that they do little to no homework and just assume last year will carry forward ad infinitum.

Archived