CBS Ex Spurts pick the BIG

Drroogh

46 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Who we should be bad-mouthing are the idiots that didn't see it coming (and it wasn't just the dips**ts on GBI).  I've been saying since the end of last season that Carson Edwards would be much less efficient this year because defenses could key on him.  I'm also on record doubting Nojel Eastern's big jump and his overrated defense (yes, he's good defensively, but he's not going to shut out Romeo...not even close) and Harms' effectiveness as a starter.  I wasn't alone either.  I saw similar sentiments among several of us unpaid amateurs on this forum.  The so-called national experts didn't do any homework in christening this year's Toiletmakers as a top-20 team.  It was lazy and relied heavily on talent that graduated and an inflated opinion of Carson Edwards' ability to carry a young team with modest talent.  Its annoying when paid "experts" are so freaking lazy that they do little to no homework and just assume last year will carry forward ad infinitum.

Hard to argue against this. It doesn't seem like there's much pride/rationale in what pre-season rankings are spit out. Sure, history could be a benchmark but why can't taking a stab at projecting what's going to happen THIS year also be weighted (and more heavily) based on current roster and coaching abilities? That seems more entertaining and higher level critical thinking to me than just rolling forward past year results. Purdue is an obvious example we were all aware of heading into this particular season...they just happen to be a rival. This also means I am fully willing to concede they could be undervalued in preseason in future years too. 

16 hours ago, dgambill said:

A few issues....first off Ignas is a good player...but he is also turning 20 and is older than most freshman...he has played high level international ball for awhile and is not your typical freshman. That said he is like the 4th or 5th option on his team...and has NO pressure on him and get's to play off of Matthews and company as opposed to having to create his own shot etc. Romeo and Ignas are night and day different and one is a far superior talent...even though the other may have terrific season benefiting from those around him. Michigan is a tough battle tested team that has tons of experience...I do think they are the best in the B1G but they are beatable. You just have to force the right people to shoot and not allow the wrong ones....and contain the dribble penetration and rebound the ball. Long shot to win in Ann Arbor but I think it's 50-50 at home.

My issue with Ignas...he's got a really bad haircut.  Romeo has him beat when it comes to hair and it ain't even close!!   😝

22 minutes ago, Fundamentals said:

Agree with Rico.  Written for activity to the site.  National outlets know IU sells.  ESPN knows and why they have ignored changing matchups and put us vs UNC and Duke in ACC challenge annually regardless of our previous season’s ranking or lack thereof

I'd love to see UVA come to IU next year -would be a good storyline with it being Kyle Guy's senior year. 

pee yew lost only 7 times last season and they lost Five times this season already ! Last season the only time they lost by  10 or more points was in the NCAA Tournament to Texas Tech ( 13 points ) and they did not have 7'2" " lumberjack" Haas !!!!This year they lost to Michigan by 19 Points already !! No way is this pee yew team near as good as last season !! No flipping way !! They gonna lose at least nine more conference games , imho !!  

3 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Wow.  That seems all kinds of crazy.

Yeah that is terrible. I mean OSU might not win the B1G because of what they lost but who in their right mind didn't think Holtsman would have a team ready to compete and be a tournament team? Give me a break. Michigan way down the list with returning guys from a NC game appearance...that is a ton of experience and those freshman and sophomores last year got exposed to extremely high level basketball so they are more like upper classman because of it. Then yes once again the Purdue thing. You don't lose what they lost and just reload unless you're Michigan St. and recruit at the top (Purdue never does). That is why they have cycles where they peak and drop off and peak again. I don't have a problem with where he has us but the Purdue bandwagon...geez that didn't make sense. I support Indiana basketball....and that means we aren't playing the other local teams I root for them (if it doesn't hurt our chances to win the league etc)...so I hope Purdue rebounds and they find some consistency and make the tourney....but how can an "expert" who did any home work at all come up with these rankings. Pathetic.

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yeah that is terrible. I mean OSU might not win the B1G because of what they lost but who in their right mind didn't think Holtsman would have a team ready to compete and be a tournament team? Give me a break. Michigan way down the list with returning guys from a NC game appearance...that is a ton of experience and those freshman and sophomores last year got exposed to extremely high level basketball so they are more like upper classman because of it. Then yes once again the Purdue thing. You don't lose what they lost and just reload. I don't have a problem with where he has us but the Purdue bandwagon...geez that didn't make sense. I support Indiana basketball....and that means we aren't playing the other local teams I root for them (if it doesn't hurt our chances to win the league etc)...so I hope Purdue rebounds and they find some consistency and make the tourney....but how can an "expert" who did any home work at all come up with these rankings. Pathetic.

And this why us "arm chair QBs" just keep watching the games.  The experts can say whatever they want, but I guarantee one thing...it only matters come Selection Sunday.  And their prognostications through the season don't mean squat.  The committees does.

8 hours ago, rico said:

About the only thing Katz got right was Illinois and Rutgers.  Purdue 3rd and Michigan 5th?!! LOL....

He's probably pretty close on IU too, but what a bunch of swings and misses.  These "experts" are just lazy as hell...do your homework, Katz!

8 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

About the only thing Katz got right was Illinois and Rutgers.  Purdue 3rd and Michigan 5th?!! LOL....

He's probably pretty close on IU too, but what a bunch of swings and misses.  These "experts" are just lazy as hell...do your homework, Katz!

I would like to think that Andy did.  And of course now!  I sure miss Al McGuire.  Al knew what he was talking about.

4 hours ago, rico said:

And this why us "arm chair QBs" just keep watching the games.  The experts can say whatever they want, but I guarantee one thing...it only matters come Selection Sunday.  And their prognostications through the season don't mean squat.  The committees does.

Yep...hopefully the committee is not made up of old IU trustees or referees or tourney officials Knight has upset and they actually watch the games. We are a very good defensive team....and an improving offensive unit. This is a team that could get to a S16 unless they blow it and put us in a bad bracket. Hopefully we get the respect we've earned by the end of the season....because we sure aren't getting it so far...and we've had 3 really good wins. One over a team that beat Wisconsin who they love and one over a team that beat Michigan St another they love and one over a team I bet beats Villanova twice this year.

I don't let any of that stuff bother me.  They are just talking heads.  I think us "dumb asses" here have a pretty good grip on reality even with our crimson glasses on.  The B1G is gonna be a blood bath this year.  Not many easy games to be had.  Gentlemen and ladies, let the war begin.

Archived