New OC - Kalen DeBoer

14 minutes ago, Payday said:

Cameron will not come. Fairly certain on that. The more someone thinks about Applewhite, the less exciting I think it would be. Other than that, we should avoid guys from small programs. But if we can get an independent OC this could really turn fast. Allen is a good guy, even if i don’t like his coaching, and he would be a very positive face to the program if he allows his staff to take care of football. Honestly, this OC hire is much more exciting and positive than any single player. 

What would you think of Dan Werner who I talked about in my previous post?

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Leathernecks said:

What would you think of Dan Werner who I talked about in my previous post?

He has been around for a good while, he has put up numbers with his offenses, I am a little surprised he is just the QB coach and wonder if maybe he was just in a retirement gig because about coach seems beneath his accomplishments. If the guy wanted the job and he isn’t on his way to retiring, he would likely fit in well with Allen and the staff. I would prefer, if I had a Christmas gift, to get a high profile younger guy who is making people notice, but that might be a Christmas wish. There are coaches, like Riley for example, that players just want to play for and it makes recruiting easier. As I told a friend yesterday, my eighth grader is starting to get coaches contacting him and as a parent all I want is someone with good character around my kids. All the players want is someone who can help them get to the next level. Hopefully there is a middle and that is what IU ends up with. Allen has the character and if he comes in with good coordinators it would be the best of both worlds. One other quick note: neither of us are naive enough to think that anyone who spent that long at Miami does not have some skeletons somewhere, it just seems unlikely.

27 minutes ago, Payday said:

He has been around for a good while, he has put up numbers with his offenses, I am a little surprised he is just the QB coach and wonder if maybe he was just in a retirement gig because about coach seems beneath his accomplishments. If the guy wanted the job and he isn’t on his way to retiring, he would likely fit in well with Allen and the staff. I would prefer, if I had a Christmas gift, to get a high profile younger guy who is making people notice, but that might be a Christmas wish. There are coaches, like Riley for example, that players just want to play for and it makes recruiting easier. As I told a friend yesterday, my eighth grader is starting to get coaches contacting him and as a parent all I want is someone with good character around my kids. All the players want is someone who can help them get to the next level. Hopefully there is a middle and that is what IU ends up with. Allen has the character and if he comes in with good coordinators it would be the best of both worlds. One other quick note: neither of us are naive enough to think that anyone who spent that long at Miami does not have some skeletons somewhere, it just seems unlikely.

Who is your son that played(s) for the team? 

31 minutes ago, Payday said:

I would love a young innovative guy too, but there's definitely more risk in somebody like that. Because it is such an important hire for his career, I wouldn't blame Allen going for somebody who is more experienced, as long as they aren't old and set in their ways. I think that was DeBord's issue. He seemed like he wasn't going to change anything he'd done the last 20 years. I liked reading that Werner had gone and watched different coaches who ran different styles to see if he could learn anything.

The Miami part is definitely worrisome, but I do think Allen has a high character and wouldn't surround himself with someone who he thinks is a shady character. If he doesn't trust Werner, I trust that Allen won't even look at him.

14 hours ago, rico said:

@Payday, why wouldn't Cameron come?

I got the feeling there is some bad blood somewhere up the ladder to the AD’s office. Just the way he answered when I told him we had hoped his name was going to surface. His kid was here and a great friend and team mate, probably the best thing a parent could hear about his son. And he had some issues that should have been handled long before they were, so I’m not certain that there isn’t some rightfully bad feelings about that. 

4 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I don't know enough about him to say whether I'd like him or not, but would him being fired by USC be concerning? I haven't followed that very closely.

He did great things with Darnold and the offense in2017. This past year they started a freshman qb and naturally, the offense wasn’t as prolific. 5-7 record and the powers that be decided to keep Helton, but had to shake up the coaching staff to justify doing so. Martin was one of the casualties.

From what I could determine, sounds like it got kind of nasty on social media surrounding this. So called fans using the “N” word, amongst other things 

55 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

He did great things with Darnold and the offense in2017. This past year they started a freshman qb and naturally, the offense wasn’t as prolific. 5-7 record and the powers that be decided to keep Helton, but had to shake up the coaching staff to justify doing so. Martin was one of the casualties.

From what I could determine, sounds like it got kind of nasty on social media surrounding this. So called fans using the “N” word, amongst other things 

Thanks!

I wonder if it is narrowed down and they will meet with candidates at the upcoming AFCA coaches clinic in San Antonio. I don't know if our staff is going, but I've heard it is a good opportunity for talking to other coaches.

Sounds like we could do much worse that Martin.  I'm hoping we know who it is within the next week.

8 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I was looking into Kalen DeBoer as a possibility and saw that supposedly Martin has said he wants the Miami OC job and that he has offers from Georgia Tech and Louisville.

I think DeBoer would be a good option despite his name being too similar to DeBord for my liking!

As far as Tee Martin, remember that Miami had a HC change.  From what I am hearing the new coach is targeting Major Applewhite for the OC.  

39 minutes ago, rico said:

As far as Tee Martin, remember that Miami had a HC change.  From what I am hearing the new coach is targeting Major Applewhite for the OC.  

Unless something really changes. Applewhite is done deal to Miami. Pretty big hire actually. His numbers speak for themselves add that with South Florida speed/skill....Canes could actually be back in the conversation in a couple of years.

On 12/30/2018 at 9:59 PM, Leathernecks said:

Just to keep things from possibly getting lost on the DeBord retiring thread, I thought I'd start a thread about who people would like to see as our new offensive coordinator.  Here are some options I was able to come up with.

• David Yost - Utah State OC - they have the 3rd best scoring offense behind Oklahoma and Alabama.  Makes $300,000 so we should be able to give him a decent raise from that.
  • Matt Canada
  • Kevin Wilson??? Had to lol.
  • Cam Cameron
  • Brian Wright - Toledo OC - 10th ranked scoring offense.  Makes under $200,000.  Was rumored as an option for WR coach at Michigan last year but took his name out of the running.

My eyes lit up reading this list!  Lol  Completely realistic or not I dig it !   :D 

41 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Unless something really changes. Applewhite is done deal to Miami. Pretty big hire actually. His numbers speak for themselves add that with South Florida speed/skill....Canes could actually be back in the conversation in a couple of years.

So with that it means Tee Martin is still out there.  According to the link the l'necks posted, Martin has offers from Georgia Tech and Louisville.  Big step down from USC.  So would he be interested in us?

2 minutes ago, rico said:

So with that it means Tee Martin is still out there.  According to the link the l'necks posted, Martin has offers from Georgia Tech and Louisville.  Big step down from USC.  So would he be interested in us?

Doubtful is my best guess unless we really opened up the purse. My guess is Tee Martin heads back home to Tennessee. But that's just a guess.

30 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Doubtful is my best guess unless we really opened up the purse. My guess is Tee Martin heads back home to Tennessee. But that's just a guess.

Well, after reading some articles, it seems that Tee's play calling was suspect.  That is what cost him his job.  I think I will take a pass.

4 hours ago, Dr. Jones said:

Didn't Allen Boot his son Danny off the team?

3 hours ago, rico said:

Dang, I forgot about that.  Cross Cam off the list.

I figured you would get there. Look Danny is a great kid, he just hit a speed bump like so many college athletes. It might not have been handled the way it should have, but from what I hear he is right back to being a good kid and has things in perspective. But I don’t think there is a chance he would land at IU. But you wait, the son is going to be star coach if he stays in the sport. 

1 hour ago, Payday said:

I figured you would get there. Look Danny is a great kid, he just hit a speed bump like so many college athletes. It might not have been handled the way it should have, but from what I hear he is right back to being a good kid and has things in perspective. But I don’t think there is a chance he would land at IU. But you wait, the son is going to be star coach if he stays in the sport. 

Drugs or alcohol?  If I remember right 3 got dismissed at the same time.

8 hours ago, rico said:

Well, after reading some articles, it seems that Tee's play calling was suspect.  That is what cost him his job.  I think I will take a pass.

Would be interested in seeing those articles. He wasn’t criticized when Darnold was the quarterback. From my research, it hit the fan this past season with a freshman at the helm. I really think that Helton was under fire for a 5-7 record and threw Martin under the bus 

Archived