New OC - Kalen DeBoer

26 minutes ago, Payday said:

Lol, I have been on the wrong side of USO too many times. But I will have them take another look at it. 

My youngest is heads and tails above where Richard was. But a lot of it is just ridiculous size. At 6’2” and 250 he has a definite advantage over most 8th graders. Fortunately he loves lifting so if he keeps working he should be in good shape.

Wow, he sounds strong.  I was assuming QB but with that size is he playing something else?  

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Wow, he sounds strong.  I was assuming QB but with that size is he playing something else?  

Oh hell no, I had my fill of a qb son. He can throw better than Richard at this age, but he is the strongest kid in the school district at his age. He plays, TE, nose tackle (mostly) played some back, and OT. They moved him a lot to where needed. 

12 minutes ago, Payday said:

Oh hell no, I had my fill of a qb son. He can throw better than Richard at this age, but he is the strongest kid in the school district at his age. He plays, TE, nose tackle (mostly) played some back, and OT. They moved him a lot to where needed. 

Awesome.  I think he has a bright future.  He’s a hoss for that age.  When he’s done growing you’ll have a great idea.  If he ends up at, say, 6’6 300 and can move, that’s classic OT stuff but D line may be a great option too depending on what he likes.  

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Like you guys, I’m intrigued by the two TE thing.   Luckily, we’ve been recruiting TE’s.  Hendershot is such an explosive athlete and he got some good run as a redshirt freshman. He could be featured in the passing game.  He had an interesting tweet to Debord. I guess he came in partying hard.  DeBord asked him if he wanted to be a first class partier or first class football player.  Hendershot said he appreciated the advice.  I have high hopes for him.  

Matt Bjornson is from my neck of the woods and he showed flashes as a true freshman.  

One guy to keep an eye on is Shaun Bonner from Georgia. He’s not the fastest guy ever but he’s huge.  I suspect he could be a pretty good blocking tight end with that frame.  And he’s been in the training program awhile.  Don’t be shocked if DeBoer takes to him quickly.

i don’t know what to make of TJ Ivey who I believe redshirted.  He’s got a good frame so I’m curious what weight he comes in at this fall.  He was fairly well regarded as a recruit.  

Gary Cooper has that H back feel but will be a true freshman. 

Weve got some options and I suspect we will go harder after TEs going forward if we are going to feature them more.  

Wonder how we might compare to some of the Iowa offenses that give us fits with two tight ends.  Would love to see a look like the old Colts offenses showed at times using Ken Dilger and Dallas Clark, with Marvin Harrison over the top.

1 hour ago, Payday said:

Nothing not to like about him. Here is the concern, and it isn’t him. We have a head coach that can not afford to stub his toe this season. If I had my choice I would have paid big for a big name and if Allen has to be let go there would be a big name at the top. But I’m excited to see the guy work, he might be just what we need. As for Allen’s moves, these are moves that a seasoned coach would have made long ago but you are correct, they are the right moves. Let’s see how it goes. Since i had been skimming over anything that said Deborge, and this guy has a similar name, I wasn’t even reading anything that mentioned his name so I am way behind you guys.

I'm not arguing with you, but I don't think Allen even had the option of making these moves long ago considering this was only his second year as head coach.

The way I see it is he gave it two years to discern whether what he was dealing with was an aberration or a trend.  After this year, when he had another season to evaluate, he decided that what he was seeing was a trend, and dealt with it accordingly.  I'm not sure there is a whole lot to criticize.  Frankly, I think making a ton of staff changes after just his first season would have been a bit destabilizing, especially considering the way Wilson was let go.

I'm looking for the 2020 season to be the real measuring stick.  All I really expect from this next season is to not regress, but in 2020 I do think it's 7-8 wins or bust.

4 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Like you guys, I’m intrigued by the two TE thing.   Luckily, we’ve been recruiting TE’s.  Hendershot is such an explosive athlete and he got some good run as a redshirt freshman. He could be featured in the passing game.  He had an interesting tweet to Debord. I guess he came in partying hard.  DeBord asked him if he wanted to be a first class partier or first class football player.  Hendershot said he appreciated the advice.  I have high hopes for him.  

Matt Bjornson is from my neck of the woods and he showed flashes as a true freshman.  

One guy to keep an eye on is Shaun Bonner from Georgia. He’s not the fastest guy ever but he’s huge.  I suspect he could be a pretty good blocking tight end with that frame.  And he’s been in the training program awhile.  Don’t be shocked if DeBoer takes to him quickly.

i don’t know what to make of TJ Ivey who I believe redshirted.  He’s got a good frame so I’m curious what weight he comes in at this fall.  He was fairly well regarded as a recruit.  

Gary Cooper has that H back feel but will be a true freshman. 

Weve got some options and I suspect we will go harder after TEs going forward if we are going to feature them more.  

I think Hendershot could turn into a great TE if we run our offense like the game I linked.

This is how I'm thinking DeBoer wants it set up based off the game I watch and what the announcers were talking about.

Kind of like how our husky position on defense is between a safety and a LB, I think DeBoer wants one TE that's between a TE and WR.  We could call it the Siberian or the malamute!

Then our other TE would be more of a Wilson type of TE.  Almost a 6th offensive lineman who will sometimes go out and catch passes, but is usually used for blocking.

I think that’s right but I’m admittedly speculating.  I hope the coaches also cater to our personnel.  For example, Whop can be a beast in the slot.  His injury really hurt us last year.  I’d still like to see some alignents getting him touches in the slot, but he also could get some looks on the boundary.  He can be such a weapon with that blazing speed and quickness. 

9 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I think that’s right but I’m admittedly speculating.  I hope the coaches also cater to our personnel.  For example, Whop can be a beast in the slot.  His injury really hurt us last year.  I’d still like to see some alignents getting him touches in the slot, but he also could get some looks on the boundary.  He can be such a weapon with that blazing speed and quickness. 

I couldn't agree more.  I think our use of Taylor this last year was a waste of a year.  I'd love to see sets where Whop and Reese are in at the same time.  They can be a load to handle.

I also saw in a post game article that they ran a little wildcat.  I think Reese out of the wildcat could be a nightmare for other teams.  Especially with the 2 TE sets.  Lots of big guys to block, but could easily slip out a TE for an easy completion.

Basically I want to see anything creative.  We haven't had that for the last 2 years, but I really think the pieces are there to be successful.

Good point.  And I wonder if DeBoer has any assistants he would be more comfortable working with in developing the offensive unit.   That would seem to be natural, although I’d hope Heard and especially Hart would be untouchable.  I also hope they are grooming Hart on game planning and being kind of an understudy on playcalling. 

Hart was never an electric athlete yet was incredibly productive as a player.  That kind of thing can translate into coaching.  He’s young but shows good potential as a coach.  His recruiting has been incredible.  Ten years from now he may be a good head coach somewhere.  

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, AshtonHershey said:

If DeBoer gets rolling with the offense for a couple of years, any chance IU promotes him to head coach? It isn't often Indiana gets an inside-track with a national-championship-level coach, from any level. 

I doubt it.  Not because I don't like DeBoer (I think he'll be fantastic), it is just due to how things usually work with coordinators.  Usually if a head coach is fired, a coordinator from within isn't hired to be the head coach.  With a head coach being fired, it is usually a given that the OC and/or DC wasn't getting it done.  I see two possible scenarios.

1. DeBoer's offense is really good.  I think we're mostly confident that Allen will continue to run a good defense (even though he isn't DC anymore, it is still his defense).  If that happens, we're going to go on a run of bowl games.  In that case, Allen will be here for a while.
  2. DeBoer's offense isn't the offense we're hoping it is going to be.  If that happens, we likely won't go bowling, and if we get rid of Allen we won't want DeBoer anyway.

14 hours ago, AshtonHershey said:

If DeBoer gets rolling with the offense for a couple of years, any chance IU promotes him to head coach? It isn't often Indiana gets an inside-track with a national-championship-level coach, from any level. 

The only way I see this happening is if:

1. We win big

2. Allen gets a better offer and leaves.

On 3/21/2019 at 12:09 AM, Leathernecks said:

I doubt it.  Not because I don't like DeBoer (I think he'll be fantastic), it is just due to how things usually work with coordinators.  Usually if a head coach is fired, a coordinator from within isn't hired to be the head coach.  With a head coach being fired, it is usually a given that the OC and/or DC wasn't getting it done.  I see two possible scenarios.

1. DeBoer's offense is really good.  I think we're mostly confident that Allen will continue to run a good defense (even though he isn't DC anymore, it is still his defense).  If that happens, we're going to go on a run of bowl games.  In that case, Allen will be here for a while.
  2. DeBoer's offense isn't the offense we're hoping it is going to be.  If that happens, we likely won't go bowling, and if we get rid of Allen we won't want DeBoer anyway.

I totally agree(with the part of being complimentary and optimistic about the DeBoer hire- and Allen's tenure).

Circumstances in the past which led to IUFB promoting the majority of the incumbent staff from within  after hiring a new Head Coach(Hoeppner-Lynch  &  Wilson-Allen) respectively, were not typical coaching transitions as a result of on-field performance. Although I do not see that happening again in most scenarios in general- I do see where those 2 instances might lead some to believe IUFB could look internally first.

Like you said though, when a coach is relieved of their job, they let the staff go although some new hires specifically retain/rehire portions of the previous staff if they choose.Timing would play a part as well. If IU started 0-6 or 0-7 It would be hard to tell what they might consider if once again backed into a mid-season corner time-urgency wise in that way, possibly even due to performance.  

I agree with the rest, but knowing DeBoer has to install his offense and essentially everyone starting over in his system. - this also goes back to that previous thread where we talked about a few non-bowl scenarios that could come down to specific game results or overall improvement/direction.As well as things falling beyond/outside the scope of the staff's control/responsibility. - where nobody who wanted to remain coaching at IU would be going anywhere bowl or not for at least another year most likely. Definitely not arguing your point since that;s where my money would go - they would not likely retain.. 

Archived