Michigan Pregame Thread

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i am the pessimist and don't think we have a chance at Michigan, but as for our slow starts, i'd sure like to see a solid attempt and getting Langford and Morgan shots in the first few possessions.  i know teams key on them, but we seem to not get them many touches the first few possessions until other guys have forced shots, then we settle down and get them the ball.

It had better not be like it was 2 years ago.  We started 2 burger boys along with Morgan and RJ and still lost by 30.  I think we turned it over 25 times and UM shot 67%.  That was Tom Crean at his finest.

I would be happy letting Mathews and Simpson be shooters and not drivers. Don’t let the others have a free look. Michigan has a good defense. Going to be tough and they have like 3 long defenders to put on Romeo. Just have to hope we hit threes unlike the other night. Can’t go like 2/12 or whatever it was.

Deep down in my soul I'm hoping for a win or at least an extremely competitive game, the realist doesn't see it happening. On the other hand it seems this team has a soul of there own that hasn't been around for quite awhile, it just seems this is a team you can never count out.

51 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Or maybe TC at his finest was winning the regular season B1G title at UM

But they made the title game and we got smoked in the Sweet 16.  Seems like everytime we sweep them they make the title game.  Happened in 76, 92 and 93 too.  Maybe they will let us win tomorrow.

21 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Just not seeing a W in this one. Only chance we have is to keep the turnovers below 10, keep JM out of foul trouble, JM or RL need to have huge games, play the typical D, and hope JS and DG make good decisions all day. Chances all of those happen in the same game?

Got me to think. Isn't this what makes watching IU great, this year,  under Archie, compared to Crean? We may not win, but somehow... as you have stated... there is a way. 

18 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Just not seeing a W in this one. Only chance we have is to keep the turnovers below 10, keep JM out of foul trouble, JM or RL need to have huge games, play the typical D, and hope JS and DG make good decisions all day. Chances all of those happen in the same game?

Upsets and wins by underdogs happen all the time.  For crying out loud that's why we play the games!   Stats don't win the players do.  I think we are every bit as good as UM and have reasons to expect us to win (CAM, JM, RL, JS, Good DG, McBob, Al) Just to name a few!  Go IU!!!!!

1 hour ago, FWIUFan said:

Upsets and wins by underdogs happen all the time.  For crying out loud that's why we play the games!   Stats don't win the players do.  I think we are every bit as good as UM and have reasons to expect us to win (CAM, JM, RL, JS, Good DG, McBob, Al) Just to name a few!  Go IU!!!!!

I think you’re overly optimistic and are wearing some crimson colored glasses if you think we’re as good as Michigan right now. I think we can be, but not right now. That’s ok though. We typically play well in Ann Arbor so maybe we’ll surprise. But if we start slow like we usually do and turn it over 15+ times we’ll get beat by 15+. 

I have had this one marked as a loss all season and still do. We've gone up there with some very good teams and been blown out of the gate and it was never a game. I just don't want to hand it over where they get up 15 in the first 5 minutes and it's never a game again. 

Michigan has not seen a player like Romeo this year, not even against UNC or Villanova.  I'm not saying we go in there and win but I do think they will struggle to keep Romeo contained, especially if he is playing more of the PG role like last game.  If IU defends well from the onset and Morgan and Romeo keep doing their thing, this one will be close.  I dont think we need a 3rd scorer necessarily, we just need the other guys to each contribute within their role and somebody to knock down a couple timely 3s.

10 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Got me to think. Isn't this what makes watching IU great, this year,  under Archie, compared to Crean? We may not win, but somehow... as you have stated... there is a way. 

You’re right, Mile.  This team, in spite of habitual slow start trend, hangs around because of defense, and defense is key to road wins.  The Hoosiers have given up no more than 68 pts in any game since losing at Duke. 

1 hour ago, CincyHoosier said:

Michigan has not seen a player like Romeo this year, not even against UNC or Villanova.  I'm not saying we go in there and win but I do think they will struggle to keep Romeo contained, especially if he is playing more of the PG role like last game.  If IU defends well from the onset and Morgan and Romeo keep doing their thing, this one will be close.  I dont think we need a 3rd scorer necessarily, we just need the other guys to each contribute within their role and somebody to knock down a couple timely 3s.

I think Morgan will be key because they do not have anyone who matches up with him well.

6 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Michigan's Isaiah Livers will be game-time decision vs. Indiana

Normally not having your sixth man available for a game, is not necessarily a big thing for most teams.  However, in Michigan's case, who primarily  only goes seven deep, should be of concern for Coach Beilein. 

Agree completely mile.  He is essentially a 6th starter for them,  and it seems like watching Michigan a few times this year he is one of their 2 or 3 most important players. 

Even if he plays (which sounds doubtful) he won't be close to 100%.

17 minutes ago, Andy06 said:

Agree completely mile.  He is essentially a 6th starter for them,  and it seems like watching Michigan a few times this year he is one of their 2 or 3 most important players. 

Even if he plays (which sounds doubtful) he won't be close to 100%.

And as demonstrated by Michigan's last game, they can win without Livers. The big question for me, should Livers not be able to go, is..... can IU get Michigan into early foul trouble, forcing them to go deeper into a bench that has not gotten many game time minutes this season ?

Archived