Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

2 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Correct. IU didn't lose him because they weren't competing for him. He was never even discussed as a possibility on HSN, so not sure about "the entire IU fan base" wanting him. We all knew he was a Nike recruit and IU had no chance.

Well then that's that....IU never has "lost" a recruit to Purdue and therefore never will and if there's not a dedicated thread on HSN then the fan base never wanted him in the first place..thanks for clearing that up DJ

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Well then that's that....IU never has "lost" a recruit to Purdue and therefore never will and if there's not a dedicated thread on HSN then the fan base never wanted him in the first place..thanks for clearing that up DJ

As I understood it, IU was told not to bother on Swanigan with the understanding that he was going to a Nike school.  I'm not at all convinced CTC offered Swanigan. I never heard of an IU offer and that's likely because Crean was told Swanigan would not go to an Adidas school.  Is that losing or not?  I don't know.  It doesn't seem like IU ever mounted an offensive to get Swanigan.  Hard to call it losing when you don't even target a guy.  Did Purdue offer every Indiana guy that played for IU?  I doubt it.  There were probably a few that told Purdue not to bother for one reason or another.  Hard to call any of those losses.  It seems more like a forfeit when one team simply doesn't show up.

50 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Lol...so it doesn't count because he wasn't adequately interested in the first place? He's an instate 5-star kid IU recruited and offered a scholarship to and didn't get even though Crean (and the entire IU fan base) really wanted him....In my opinion that's losing a recruit to Purdue and it's something I really hope doesn't happen here with Brooks given all the attention Purdue is getting and will continue to get as the season closes out.

Lol No. It doesn't count at all. Pretty sure he spent a solid portion of his life outside the state, as well. Let alone his guardian was a PU football player. We absolutely didn't lose him at all. 

45 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

We've lost the NBA finals every year, as well, I guess. 

33 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

As I understood it, IU was told not to bother on Swanigan with the understanding that he was going to a Nike school.  I'm not at all convinced CTC offered Swanigan. I never heard of an IU offer and that's likely because Crean was told Swanigan would not go to an Adidas school.  Is that losing or not?  I don't know.  It doesn't seem like IU ever mounted an offensive to get Swanigan.  Hard to call it losing when you don't even target a guy.  Did Purdue offer every Indiana guy that played for IU?  I doubt it.  There were probably a few that told Purdue not to bother for one reason or another.  Hard to call any of those losses.  It seems more like a forfeit when one team simply doesn't show up.

I agree to some extent but every recruiting site listed Swanigan with an offer. Guaranteed they aren’t all wrong. People thinking they know how hard Crean recruits every kid based on attention they got on HSN is laughable. Im sure Crean was told there was no interest. Doesn’t mean an offer wasn’t extended and effort made. I can’t think of a kid instate or not who IU landed that Purdue was in for also. So Purdue never loses out to IU? Phinese is a perfect example and I doubt many on here would argue Purdue didnt lose out on just because he was never really interested in them. Either way, I don’t really care. Purdue seems to be a in play for Brooks and the irrelevant question of when was the last time IU lost a recruit to Purdue isnt going to play in Brooks’ recruitment

12 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

I agree to some extent but every recruiting site listed Swanigan with an offer. Guaranteed they aren’t all wrong. People thinking they know how hard Crean recruits every kid based on attention they got on HSN is laughable. Im sure Crean was told there was no interest. Doesn’t mean an offer wasn’t extended and effort made. I can’t think of a kid instate or not who IU landed that Purdue was in for also. So Purdue never loses out to IU? Phinese is a perfect example and I doubt many on here would argue Purdue didnt lose out on just because he was never really interested in them. Either way, I don’t really care. Purdue seems to be a in play for Brooks and the irrelevant question of when was the last time IU lost a recruit to Purdue isnt going to play in Brooks’ recruitment

Damezi Anderson was heavily recruited by Purdue before picking IU. Cody Zeller was as well. When a kid like Brooks as an offer/interest ist that includes IU, MSU, UK, KU, UCLA, and PU then Purdue is the odd team out. It's not even an IU-Purdue thing, it's that PU may win an occasional battle against MSU and IU but with that many upper echelon teams competing for Brooks, the odds that he ends up at Purdue are pretty small. 

6 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I don't see it any differently than Swanigan. That's not a "recruiting battle" to me.

If/when Crean ever writes a book there will be a chapter on recruits like Swanigan. The players where a coach doesn't even have a legit chance at trying/competing for services of the player. 

We’ve gone off the rails, lol

I like how Brooks complements the other guys we have coming in.  Hes rugged and has natural strength.   He’s got some nasty to him too.   If you get TJD, watch out for him with Brooks and then you will have a guy like Hunter on the wing.  You’re talking about complementary pieces.  Based on skill set, I could see Brooks as at least a three year player.  

On 2/6/2018 at 12:56 AM, FKIM01 said:

I don't see it any differently than Swanigan. That's not a "recruiting battle" to me.

Exactly. It has to get to the point of recruiting battle before schools "lose" a recruit to another school. With Langford, when he chooses IU, KU and Vandy lost out. 

• 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Dayuummmm.... Anyone else think CAM looks dejected???

Be nice to hear some "IU" chants tonight!!!

Thought he looked that way last night too. 

I would bet he never thought he would suffer the type of losses he did this past year. 

7 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Dayuummmm.... Anyone else think CAM looks dejected???

Be nice to hear some "IU" chants tonight!!!

I just think he's that way. All business. Toughness demeanor inside and out. Plus a long week with family stuff, travel, loss....if he was sitting there smiling I'm sure someone would be asking why is he smiling after that loss? Haha..

Archived