Peter Jurkin , & Other Former IU players news UPDATES !!

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, hoosiertildeath said:

Grant did NOT play in SFCC's last game either !! There is still NO OFFICIAL word on his absence ??????????????????????????????????????  A mystery wrapped up in an ENIGMA ?????

I think it's safe to say you won't see him in another game at SFCC.  He's not even listed on the current roster.

On 1/2/2018 at 1:49 PM, FKIM01 said:

Pure speculation, but I have a feeling he got fat.  Vaden always looked a touch slow/out of shape to me.  He had a great stroke and his love for Mike Davis is legendary, but he never struck me as one that trained very hard.

Im not sure about him having a great stroke. His shot never got higher than 10'2"  

Gelon's entire playing career thus far has been most like: 

A Matt Carlino

B.Ivan Renko 

C.Where's Waldo?

D.Where On Earth Is Carmen San Diego? 

E. All Of The Above

Poor man's version xD

Sorry! I had to share because it's Friday.Lol 

I actually read this somewhere. I'm not knowledgeable enough in those subjects to come up with it myself.

Gelon did NOT PLAY in SFCC's game on Saturday ??  That makes SEVEN straight games he has not played  , without any explanation ! On a more positive note :: Peter Jurkin is a BIG reason that East Tennessee State is currently 9 & 0 in the  Southern Conference and 18 & 4 overall !! I'm hoping that East Tennessee State wins their Conference Tournament so I can see OLe Jurkin do his thing in the Big Dance  !!!!! Wouldn't be IRONIC if JURKIN plays in the BIG DANCE and IU DOES NOT ?????????????????????

Did Gelon already transfer at semester break to Missouri State?  I poked around but found nothing in my search.  Maybe one of you internet savants can find out.  

Stan Robinson is the sixth man for NCAA bound Rhode Island, and hit the game winning 3 against Duquesne.  right handed..

DDavis is having a solid year for Houston.  Mike Davis' son committed to play for Kelvin Sampson and Houston next year-ironic?

I can find NO INFORMATION regarding Gelon's absence of playing time for SFCC !! It is possible that he transferred to Missouri State for the second semester and will play no more until next season !! I just do not know !!!!! ( And - I hate not knowing ,vbg !! ) At any rate the conference post season TOURNAMENTS start on Feb. 26 , 2018 ! That is only 29 days away !!   

On 1/26/2018 at 6:12 PM, jblaz13 said:

Gelon's entire playing career thus far has been most like: 

A Matt Carlino

B.Ivan Renko 

C.Where's Waldo?

D.Where On Earth Is Carmen San Diego? 

E. All Of The Above

Poor man's version xD

Sorry! I had to share because it's Friday.Lol 

I actually read this somewhere. I'm not knowledgeable enough in those subjects to come up with it myself.

Matt Carlino. A blast out of the past.  Wow.  The poster child of the son of a helicopter parent.  Who moved his son from Arizona, so he could play for Bloomington South. Because of his IU commitment.  Only to pull that commit.... to play for two other schools.... and eventually play in the NBA G league.... as well as in Europe.  A classic case of a parent being too involved.  Should have let Matt play for IU.  But we got Yogi, instead.  I will take that trade off, any day.

3 hours ago, hoosiertildeath said:

I can find NO INFORMATION regarding Gelon's absence of playing time for SFCC !! It is possible that he transferred to Missouri State for the second semester and will play no more until next season !! I just do not know !!!!! ( And - I hate not knowing ,vbg !! ) At any rate the conference post season TOURNAMENTS start on Feb. 26 , 2018 ! That is only 29 days away !!   

I only registered to put HTD's mind at ease.  I emailed the sports writer at SFCC and asked about Grant.  He forwarded it to the AD who said "Grant Gelon decided not to return to State Fair Community College." 

4 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I only registered to put HTD's mind at ease.  I emailed the sports writer at SFCC and asked about Grant.  He forwarded it to the AD who said "Grant Gelon decided not to return to State Fair Community College." 

Love it.  Why none of us thought of this is beyond me.  Thanks for that.  Great first post. And welcome to HSN3.0.  I can already tell you will be a valuable member, should you choose to post more often.  

Now... someone needs to connect with the SIA director at Missouri State College... to see if Grant, is in fact there... as I have suspected. 

Still seems odd that he skipped the 2nd semester. It's not like he can play for his new school this semester, so he's essentially taking a semester off from competition.  Maybe he is practicing with them...I don't know.  All I do know is that the whole situation seems odd.

On 1/30/2018 at 1:23 PM, FKIM01 said:

Still seems odd that he skipped the 2nd semester. It's not like he can play for his new school this semester, so he's essentially taking a semester off from competition.  Maybe he is practicing with them...I don't know.  All I do know is that the whole situation seems odd.

If he is at MSU, then I am sure he is practicing with the team.  If so, this is a smart move by GG.   Kinda screwing over the Fightin' Corn Dogs though.

17 minutes ago, jimmygoiu said:

If he is at MSU, then I am sure he is practicing with the team.  If so, this is a smart move by GG.   Kinda screwing over the Fightin' Corn Dogs though.

Taking a cue from Lurker, I just emailed the director of basketball operations at MSU. I'll let you all know if he is willing to share anything.

Peter Jurkin and his East Tennessee State teammates are currently 12 & 0 in conference play and 21 & 4 overall  !! It would a total shame if ETSU got upset in their conference tournament and not make THE BIG DANCE !! If they win their conference regular season title they would at least be guaranteed a spot in the Post season NIT !! Jurkin is averaging 8.9 ppg , 5.1 rebounds per game , , has 31 BLOCKS and 12 steals !! Good Job , PJ !!!

P.S Jurkin had 16 POINTS AND 13 rebounds IN ETSU's last game , a 20 point win !! I'm looking forward to seeing Jurkin in the post season !!!( IF not sooner !!

• 2 weeks later...

Guess who is shooting 40% from three this season?  

Was it actually true that Crean said Bluiett "wasn't athletic enough?"  And did he really say of Kyle Guy, "who would he guard."  Virginia is currently kenpom's #1 defense.  

I can understand missing on McIntosh.  IIRC Kyle Guy basically said he wasn't interested in IU, but if comments like above where actually true, it's no wonder.  Was it Troy that Crean wanted over Bluiett?  I remember we offered but never prioritized.  

Random thoughts.  Anyone have answers?  

Thanks

21 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Guess who is shooting 40% from three this season?  

Was it actually true that Crean said Bluiett "wasn't athletic enough?"  And did he really say of Kyle Guy, "who would he guard."  Virginia is currently kenpom's #1 defense.  

I can understand missing on McIntosh.  IIRC Kyle Guy basically said he wasn't interested in IU, but if comments like above where actually true, it's no wonder.  Was it Troy that Crean wanted over Bluiett?  I remember we offered but never prioritized.  

Random thoughts.  Anyone have answers?  

Thanks

Yes. The easy answer is that Crean is no longer the coach. 

Decisions like what you highlighted are a large part of the reason why. As much as Crean was lauded for finding diamonds in the rough, he sure did not have the pulse of Indiana high school basketball. Too many high level players were allowed to leave the state because Crean had no interest in them

41 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Yes. The easy answer is that Crean is no longer the coach. 

Decisions like what you highlighted are a large part of the reason why. As much as Crean was lauded for finding diamonds in the rough, he sure did not have the pulse of Indiana high school basketball. Too many high level players were allowed to leave the state because Crean had no interest in them

Good post. Crean had a lot of success finding diamonds in the rough by putting a huge amount of value on athleticism. He weighted athleticism too much in his evaluations in my opinion, as those two points demonstrate. The diamonds in the rough he did find, while being hyper athletic, also had very high basketball IQ and fairly refined skills by the time they turned into elite players. 

His approach that you can't teach athleticism but you can teach skill wasn't wrong, but I'll take a less athletic skilled player over a raw athlete every day of the week. 

Archived