Nebraska Pregame Thread

rbkl

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This informed group knows it, but many don't.  Nebraska is very good.  One of the best starting lineups in the B1G.  This game is a coin toss folks.  See our keys to victory, including something Maryland did to our defense on Friday night that has me very concerned.

1 hour ago, cohete15 said:

The new start times are a joke. 5:30 for us Evansville people.

4:30 in the Rockies.  Being retired, it is no problem for me. However, for working people, I can very well understand and empathize with their distaste for early starts during the work week.

Some of you may remember, when cable was just getting a foothold in college sports..... the disdain that Coach Knight expressed for late starts, just in order to accommodate an ever increasing demand for games.  He argued that late starts, especially on the road, were not good for student athletes.  We've come a long way since those days..when if I wanted to know about an IU game.... I would have to check Terry Hutchin's column on the net the next day.  Rarely did an IU game get any coverage in the Denver papers back then. For that matter, they still don't.  So... I guess some of us have to take the good with the bad. Having IU games being broadcast nationally on a weekly basis, rather than hoping a weekend game would somehow manage it's way onto CBS.  And, yes... I do recall being a student and being able to watch Chuck Marlowe doing IU games on tv in B-town.

24 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Morning line has jumped to IU -2.5.

Back in the day when the bookies made the line for the hoosiers it was  saragin formula plus 3.5 to 4 more points to the hoosiers for assembly hall advantage.  It was the largest home court advantage added for the line in college basketball. I hope we get back to those days at some point.

1 hour ago, Cutter said:

If we can get 2 fouls on their best 2 players before the first tv time out like RL and JM have when we are on the road we should be able to squeak this one out , but it won't be easy!

This. I was just going to post something similar. We'll know early if there will be any home court edge. 

1 hour ago, Cutter said:

If we can get 2 fouls on their best 2 players before the first tv time out like RL and JM have when we are on the road we should be able to squeak this one out , but it won't be easy!

James Palmer is the kind of player that can go off on a team. Only one game under single digits, I believe.   A couple in and around the high 20's/low 30's.  Got to put the clamps on him.

Also, need to mention... Palmer is an 80% free throw shooter.

I feel the game could turn on how well IU defends Palmer, and keeps him from going to the free throw line.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

James Palmer is the kind of player that can go off on a team. Only one game under single digits, I believe.   A couple in and around the high 20's/low 30's.  Got to put the clamps on him.

Also, need to mention... Palmer is an 80% free throw shooter.

I feel the game could turn on how well IU defends Palmer, and keeps him from going to the free throw line.

Yes, because Palmer doesn't shoot a high % from the floor (about 40%), but he attempts nearly 8 FTs per game. Need to watch assignments here. Can't let Romeo get in foul trouble defending him.

2 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Yes, because Palmer doesn't shoot a high % from the floor (about 40%), but he attempts nearly 8 FTs per game. Need to watch assignments here. Can't let Romeo get in foul trouble defending him.

It will be interesting to see if CAM puts Romeo on Palmer to start the game.  Romeo guarded Cowen at the end of the Md. game.  Perhaps CAM will put Romeo on him latter in the game.

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Would think we'd see Rob and Smith defending him

Not sure. Rob/Devonte likely on Watson, who is very quick. May see Durham on Palmer and put Romeo on Allen. Smith and Roby are very similar players. Roby not as much of a scoring threat as Palmer, but someone needs to keep him off the boards.

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Not sure. Rob/Devonte likely on Watson, who is very quick. May see Durham on Palmer and put Romeo on Allen. Smith and Roby are very similar players. Roby not as much of a scoring threat as Palmer, but someone needs to keep him off the boards.

Good thoughts, will be interesting to see who gets which assignments (with switching)

Archived