Archie Miller's coaching philosophy...Is this current team smart enough for Archie's standards?

Hopefully what you're talkin about will work its way out in a full recruiting cycle.

You have guys coming in from the start knowing what their role is going to be nothing is Promised knowing they're going to have to work for their minutes and maybe sit their freshman year.  

And it looks like cam is targeting guys that may work their way into the pros in 2 to 3 years rather than guys like Romeo who are most likely a one-and-done oh, so you're going to need to keep the cupboard full.  Bgleas has always articulated this concept better than anybody.  

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, rico said:

I am just saying that 2 coaches implemented their systems and had no problem having success in 2 years.  I would venture to say that Sampson's second year might have ended up with a FF appearance.

Look at guys like Izzo, Wright, Beilein, and coach K and see how long it took them to establish themselves before they started winning big.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Look at guys like Izzo, Wright, Beilein, and coach K and see how long it took them to establish themselves before they started winning big.

Like I said before, Archie can coach with a great basketball mind. I feel we have the right guy. Crean on the other hand was an OK hire in the beginning, but I was never confident as to where his IU teams were going. Archie needs time, like all new coaches. Mark my word fellas, Archie will have "HIS" team figured out  and groovin' within the next 2 years. 

IU got exposed the last two games in B1G.  On defense we can't guard bigs very well.   On offense if you pack the defense in to take away the lane and mid range, we can't shoot well enough from distance to make you pay.  Maybe the problem is the injuries.   Maybe it's the recruiting.   Maybe it's other things or a combination of things.   But CAM is the coach, and he has to adjust.  Maybe exploit their weaknesses.  Maybe put a shooter in Like Anderson.  Maybe see if Moore or Forrester can defend a big.  Coaching philosophy doesn't have much to do with things right now.  It's how well our coach and team can adjust.

4 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

No sir, Rico! He was given way too much time. Crean's coaching style and lack of Indiana connection did him in early.

Well, I don't buy any of Scott's names he threw out there.  I would give him Coach B, as Michigan was in a world of hurt when he took it over, but he came from a big time program and was a proven winner.  Izzo and Wright hit the floor running.  As far as K, I have said it over and over, it ain't like he built that program.

6 minutes ago, rico said:

Well, I don't buy any of Scott's names he threw out there.  I would give him Coach B, as Michigan was in a world of hurt when he took it over, but he came from a big time program and was a proven winner.  Izzo and Wright hit the floor running.  As far as K, I have said it over and over, it ain't like he built that program.

"You are correct, SIr!"

14 hours ago, 3Ballin said:

What's the difference in building a team around an elite player and building a team around your best player?  Every coach does the second every year right?  Doesn't matter if they are a OAD or a 3 star senior that developed into a monster.

In my coaching experience it does make a difference. At a 1A I never had elite players and we developed based on what we had and had some success. At the 4A I had guys on the bench far more talented than what my previous starters had been but so did the competition so I had to make a lot of philosophical changes to be successful

13 hours ago, StLHoosier said:

I think it’s been mentioned that there have been rumblings of chemistry issues, and something like that could compound the issue.  It could be the reason guys look somewhat disinterested or whatever.  If that’s the case, CAM has to nip it in the bud.

I agree but this is far from the bud unfortunately but it need to be nipped NOW!!!!

I'll ask again based on the original post.  

"His offensive approach has been called "one of the most complete transition offensive systems you will find." He frequently uses a "Phoenix fast break" with players pushing the ball off of rebounds and turnovers in a flexible system that can take on a variety of alignments. He will modify the Phoenix break based on personnel to accommodate five guards or two post players on the floor at once. If an opponent scores, Miller employs a "Carolina transition offense" to create scoring opportunities which flow right into a motion offense."

Why are we not seeing this?  Is it an attempt to reign in turnovers?  Is it time to turn the dogs loose again and play to our athletic strengths?  Romeo is a flyer.  Juwan can take any big man in the conference in a foot race.  Justin Smith vs any 4 in conference on a break, yes please.  The B1G is loaded with coaches that have read the blueprint to beating this team.  We know the blueprint, you think they don't?  Who let the dogs out?  Who who who

I think it was my basketball mentor Blgeas that said going forward tempo was one of the things he was most interested in watching.  

10 hours ago, rico said:

P.S.  Cov hardly got to play under Knight.  Under Davis, oh yeah.

Tommy was very scared under CBK. Davis had complete faith in him and trusted him and it showed. Davis may not have been the right coach for IU but for Coverdale he was the perfect coach and Tommy made that team go. Fife is the type of kid that would play for anyone and did not care what they said he had no fear and did not worry about making mistakes. A toughness that is sorely missed. That team was great but allowing Coverdale to play  loose was the key.

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Dad is far from the bud?  

Elaborate.  PM if you feel that is better.  I know we all loathe the premature transfer speculation.  

This has been going on since RL said he was coming to IU. Some of the guys do not respond well to The "Savior" or second coming . Jealousy has been there and is showing its ugly head more and more each week. It will not be where he is picked in the draft that will make RL go pro it will be this locker room!!!

40 minutes ago, rico said:

So Crean needed more time?  LOL

Where did I say that but I think he needs more than 48 games to determine what kind of coach he is.

I think we can all agree that these 4 coaches are some of the top coaches in the country and see how they faired their first two years went.
Izzo at MSU-33-28 Made first NCAA tournament in year 3
Beilein at UM- 31-36 1 NCAA tournament in first 4 years
Wright at Villanova- 34-29 made first NCAA tournament in year 4
Bennett at UVA- 31-31 made first NCAA tournament year 3
Coach K at Duke- 27-30 made first NCAA tournament in year 4
All of these coaches started slowly but was given time to prove themselves which is exactly what we need to do with Archie

Just now, IU Scott said:

Where did I say that but I think he needs more than 48 games to determine what kind of coach he is.

I think we can all agree that these 4 coaches are some of the top coaches in the country and see how they faired their first two years went.
Izzo at MSU-33-28 Made first NCAA tournament in year 3
Beilein at UM- 31-36 1 NCAA tournament in first 4 years
Wright at Villanova- 34-29 made first NCAA tournament in year 4
Bennett at UVA- 31-31 made first NCAA tournament year 3
Coach K at Duke- 27-30 made first NCAA tournament in year 4
All of these coaches started slowly but was given time to prove themselves which is exactly what we need to do with Archie

Meh......

26 minutes ago, rico said:

You are incorrect on this one and look at my post below to show  the record of all of those coaches and how long it took them to get to the tournament.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

You are incorrect on this one and look at my post below to show  the record of all of those coaches and how long it took them to get to the tournament.

How many of those coaches took their team to the NIT in the first year?

11 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

This has been going on since RL said he was coming to IU. Some of the guys do not respond well to The "Savior" or second coming . Jealousy has been there and is showing its ugly head more and more each week. It will not be where he is picked in the draft that will make RL go pro it will be this locker room!!!

Not good.  

7 minutes ago, rico said:

How many of those coaches took their team to the NIT in the first year?

I think 3 but who cares about the NIT.  Also there are more stipulations to get into the NIT now than when those guys started.  Before they would just pick you by your name as much as your record.  Today they have to take the regular season champion of a conference if they fail to win the conference tournament.

16 hours ago, rico said:

Well I hope sticking to his guns produces wins.....no matter what his philosophy is, winning is what counts at IU.  How many years was RMK at IU before he got them to a FF?

Second year 

1972-73 season...a long, long time ago when the game was played differently and Knight's innovations were brand new...and before the tournament expansion.  Downing versus Walton in Final 4 semi.

33 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think 3 but who cares about the NIT.  Also there are more stipulations to get into the NIT now than when those guys started.  Before they would just pick you by your name as much as your record.  Today they have to take the regular season champion of a conference if they fail to win the conference tournament.

I care.  And I don't need a NIT lesson.  Point is, you got a new coach.  You are building for the future.  A NIT appearance is a good thing in year #1.

Archived