1-15 Dakich

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand why DD thinks IU owes him or any other former player anything. They all received an opportunity to play basketball and get a free education and all the social perks that go with it. This is, for better or worse, CAM's team and he should surround himself with who he trusts. If a former player fits that description, great. If not, so be it. I enjoyed his radio show when he first started out. But he seems to be becoming more juvenile by the day. Followed him on Twitter until I could no longer stand the incredibly immature spats he would engage in with random people there. For me, whatever valid points he makes get overwhelmed by all the other nonsense.

35 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I’m not giving up on Archie, he’s still young and learning and I know he knows he game.  However when you make that kind of money you aren’t above some criticism. 

This x1000.

And if I may add, just because someone offers criticism of Archie doesn’t mean 1)we didn’t want a coaching change/would rather have Crean back, 2) we wanted Alford, or 3) we want Archie fired. Some of those types of responses to criticism of him get old. 

20 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

It's old guard.  Have to keep that side of the fan base happy.  

This.  Not only fans but it seems there are quite a few former players that wanted an IU guy as well and won’t let it go.  I have talked to a couple former players who were less than happy to have Archie here.  Not sure how they still feel this year but last year before and after season they were not on the Archie bandwagon.   It sure anything besides a championship/ high quality play and wins will change that.  Even that might not change anything.

1 minute ago, iuthruandthru said:

This.  Not only fans but it seems there are quite a few former players that wanted an IU guy as well and won’t let it go.  I have talked to a couple former players who were less than happy to have Archie here.  Not sure how they still feel this year but last year before and after season they were not on the Archie bandwagon.   It sure anything besides a championship/ high quality play and wins will change that.  Even that might not change anything.

I don’t care about an IU grad or former player as head coach but I’d like to see some former players as assistants as mentioned above

1 minute ago, IUwins0708 said:

I don’t care about an IU grad or former player as head coach but I’d like to see some former players as assistants as mentioned above

Maybe, but define what exactly that brings to 2019 IU basketball. Maybe a Vic, when he’s done playing. Who else would resonate with kids today? Most everyone mentioned as a candidate are twice these kids age and may/ may not hold any relevance to an 18 year old.

Certainly, bringing in a Wittman or Cheaney would pacify old farts like us. Not sure it would do anything to improve the team on the floor though 

I listened to the opening segment that they spliced out as a podcast.  I liked many of his points, some of which were verbatim to some of the points some of us made as 5fouls aptly pointed out.  However, I did not care for his personal attacks.  You can stay on message without getting personal.  Professionally, personally...you can handle yourself much better.  Raise points and criticisms, but don’t make it personal and no need belittling or personal attacks.  

18 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

By no means am I putting him on the same level, zip code...time zone as Fife, Guyton, Calbert, etc:  but CAM does still have Elston on the staff.  Not sure exactly what his role is, but he is there.

1 hour ago, IUwins0708 said:

I’m not giving up on Archie, he’s still young and learning and I know he knows he game.  However when you make that kind of money you aren’t above some criticism. 

Agree 100 percent. I was on his case big time about not playing through Morgan down the stretch against Arkansas. But considering all the injury’s this year it makes it tough when your team is trying to get better against walk ons cuz there not enough scholarship players available. Not having Jerome is huge. Davis is still hurt. Phinisee is working his way back. Literally no shooters available. People can say excuses excuses all they want but I think they are legit ones. You can’t criticize a guy to much when he hasn’t had anywhere near close to his full team all year. 

What is inexcusable no matter who is hurt or not is playing with zero effort, toughness, and togetherness. We lacked that Monday big time and I think Archie will get it corrected. 

It’s easy and to kick IU while we’re down. Dan has had a bit of vitriol against IU since  the above mentioned spurning after he didn’t get the head coaching job he felt he earned. ( if he was THAT good as a coach, he would have surfaced coaching somewhere) He doesn’t hide the fact he is close to Crean, the guy who beat him out for the job, ironically. He has been very biased and critical when he has done IU games for espn. He loves being a pot stirrer... I have been turned down for several church positions, and obviously I felt I was the better man. Even if I enjoy watching the person fail, I would never air that publicly, such as on social media or something. I am deflated, IU gave poor effort last night, there seems to be an underlying dynamic with the team, as has been pointed out by someone, ( possibly with Justin), BUT just because DD has been such a part of IU basketball in the past, does that necessarily give him the right to trash the team and coaching staff the day after a rough game? I don’t think it’s a classy move. If he would have made such a statement BEFORE the season, that would have been much bolder. Right now, it feels like sensationalism, and I don’t see how it benefits the team or the university in any way, and brings a bad reflection on our fan base. Keion and his family are watching........

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I don’t think Dakich cares at all. To him, the importance is that he has people talking about whatever tripe comes out of his pie hole. Sells advertising and keeps him on the air.

Hammer meet nail.  TIme to pass him by.  Just as many more IU fans are passing by what once was the greatness of Bobby Knight.  Both of these guys, as far as I am concerned have worn out their welcome.  Sad, but true.  And it's not the fans that have caused it to happen this way. 

11 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

DD is right about one thing....there is no or little emotion.  This team needs some one who plays with swagger and is team oriented.  Energy is key and some one that is going to grind.  

So what is Juwan and McRoberts doing about that. Seniors....no seniors should want to go out with a whimper like the last 3 or 4 years. Thing was...I didn’t see the fire from either of them...so why expect it from freshman and sophomores.

This whole needing IU players on the staff...hogwash. I’m possibly the biggest Knight fan on this board and that isn’t what is wrong with this team. Heck Archie is about as young and relatable than half those guys people mention. I do think having a couple NBA guys around the team is good for giving the kids something to learn from in shooting for their dreams but they don’t even have to be IU guys. I do think Zeller and Yogi and Victor are great to speak to the team and maybe after their time is up they would be great to come back but this team just needs to get back to basics before they left for Christmas break. They also need to run rebounding drills for about half of practice...I’m really worried Purdue will out work us on the boards.

20 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

If it was up to me I would try to get Jared Jeffries on staff. Good guy, played for IU, played pro, Bloomington native.  Just seems right.

And he likes fishing...I love that.  But the thing is you are dealing with a former pro that made millions.  Why would he want to be an assistant coach at the college level?

Here's the thing about windbags. Sometimes their really good points get lost because they have an opinion on every subject going and are never wrong. I'm still amazed at the backlash from this one game. Zero shame in losing at Michigan and a close game at Maryland. Neutralizing the problem we lost 1 bad game to Nebraska who happens to be a good team with what 4 seniors who were all 4 stars out of high school? 

I get the frustration but the comments this week have just been crazy....including Dakich. When Franklin and Brooks Mom are actively discussing on twitter maybe it's time for us to back off the hourly criticism train. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Here's the thing about windbags. Sometimes their really good points get lost because they have an opinion on every subject going and are never wrong. I'm still amazed at the backlash from this one game. Zero shame in losing at Michigan and a close game at Maryland. Neutralizing the problem we lost 1 bad game to Nebraska who happens to be a good team with what 4 seniors who were all 4 stars out of high school? 

I get the frustration but the comments this week have just been crazy....including Dakich. When Franklin and Brooks Mom are actively discussing on twitter maybe it's time for us to back off the hourly criticism train. 

Well, this was our first 15+ point Big Ten home loss since we lost 73-56 to #5 MSU in January 2014.  Fanbase still hasn’t quite readjusted to getting blown out at home by unranked teams again.  Give it some time, I’m sure we’ll get there.

Archived