Don’t expect the shooting to get much better under CAM

DC2345

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

Sorry but I posted back on the 247 hsn site. I’ve had this account for a while I just haven’t posted much. I’m sorry but facts are facts. 

Glad to have you back. However, you have to understand, that the optics of coming out the way you did,  during our current losing streak are not good. IMHO. 

I think this has more to do with the types of players CAM recruits rather than development. The luxury he hopefully now has at IU which he didn't have before is he can get the long wing span, physical guys that can also shoot.  Those types are more highly rated guys which he couldn't get at Dayton.  So he erred on the defensive potential rather than the offensive potential.  Ended up with rosters full of good defenders that couldn't shoot.  Hopefully now he can have the best of both worlds.  We all know you have to have both to win championships.  I think CAM is trying to instill his defensive philosophy first, which is his m.o.  I would hope to see better offensive development over the next couple years.  

6 hours ago, Milehi Fan said:

I am obviously a MileHi fan (look at my name) but it seems like my online mentor is piling on to a new poster.  Like it or not, he has brought a legit concern to the Archie campaign.  Timing may be of concern, but the OP has detailed a legit concern.

One has to be aware of what has been going on here in recent days.  Use of the word timing is correct.  Optics and timing are not piling on.  Where was the concern when IU was winning ?   Same coach. Same players. Different results. 

It's not a problem.  Fan base , along with Dan Dakich have bent like a willow tree for years now, based on the ebb and flow of how the team has performed.  

Archie stat :  Six years at Dayton.  Made the NCAAT the last four years he was there.

Archie Miller Coaching Record 

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

One has to be aware of what has been going on here in recent days.  Use of the word timing is correct.  Optics and timing are not piling on.  Where was the concern when IU was winning ?   Same coach. Same players. Different results. 

It's not a problem.  Fan base , along with Dan Dakich have bent like a willow tree for years now, based on the ebb and flow of how the team has performed.  

Archie stat :  Six years at Dayton.  Made the NCAAT the last four years he was there.

Archie Miller Coaching Record 

You know as well as anyone, winning cures all wounds.  Of course people are going to start questioning things when you lose 4 in a row.  But i agree that maybe we don't pile on every new poster until we figure out if they are legit or a troll.

I get where Mike is coming from. The title of the thread was poorly worded for someone just looking to start a conversation on concerns. Not a big deal, but that was some of my initial reaction as well. But yes, a worthy topic to discuss and I think the lack of shooting/offense has vaulted to one of my top concerns for Archie. 

12 hours ago, mchenry34 said:

I guess you are thinking of me as "that other new guy that is starting threads all over the place"....

Aside from the fact that I have had an account with this site for a long time, I haven't started any threads and also always been positive...so, probably implying that I am somehow a troll is out of place...

Do I need to give my fan resume/pedigree to post here?

I've been a fan my whole life but don't really remember our last championship as I was only six. My favorite players growing up were Cheaney and Evans (wore 34 in high school because of Evans).

I grew up in Columbus, Ohio so I took a ton of grief for being an Indiana fan in those early 90s years where the championships were being won by us or OSU before Purdue went on their run...

The Bob Knight I remember was only boorish and abusive and stubborn and his genius was diminished by transfer after transfer and first round flame outs, the only thing that I could be confident of in those years is that we would make the tournament...I have high hopes that in the next couple of years Indiana fans can return to that kind of confidence and losing streaks don't turn into an excuse to say awful things and call for people to lose jobs and scholarships from behind the safety net of their keyboards...

I do think that if given some stability and support to build a roster Archie Miller can restore some normalcy to all this...

i actually wasn't talking about you.  and you're right, you don't need a resume.  we can agree to disagree about all of that.  

Guess what, these kids couldn't shoot when Crean was here either. I hate threads like this. Compairing someone's numbers at a totally different type school. If you think Archie is recruiting kids that would play at Dayton I don't know what to tell you. This is a topic after 3 to 4 recruiting cycles at IU, not after one. Until then its meaningless.

Duke beat Virginia shooting 14% from 3 (2-14) and 58% from FT line (18-31). On the season, Duke is 31% from 3 and 67% from FT line. Apparently the key to overcoming coaching deficiencies 😊 is to have Z Williamson, C Reddish and R Barrett.

Some other notable teams shooting a lower 3pt % than the Hoosiers this year:

TX Tech, Houston, UCLA, Nevada, Texas, KS ST, Syracuse, FL ST, Wich ST, GA, Notre Dame

Indiana is 4th in the country in 2pt FG% at 58%. Top 3 are Gonzaga, Dayton and Duke.

Indiana is 4th in the country in 2pt FG% at 58%. Top 3 are Gonzaga, Dayton and Duke.

Thank you. Rob, Anderson and Hunter will all be good 3 point shooters before leaving here. Al is our best outside shooter right now, imo, and that is the telling story. You have to have the players and we dont.

One thing I've always been envious of is the Brad Stevens coaching tree (and I think a lot of others around here feel the same).  For some reason, coaches from that tree seem to always have their players believing in themselves.  It helps that those teams generally have good shooters, but I think it's all confidence with these guys.  You can see it when they shoot - Fitzner may have the best shot on the team, but even the 3's he occasionally shoots looks like he's guiding it and not shooting it like he was earlier this season.

I've been impressed with what Walter McCarty has done with Evansville this year - they were supposed to be the doormat of the country.  As many of you know, he's from the Brad Stevens coaching tree, and I was reading an article about his coaching style.  He said he only gets upset when players don't shoot when they're open.  His players all look and play confidently.  I think CAM has a death grip on this offense that only certain people are allowed to shoot, which has affected chemistry issues within the team, and in my opinion, has affected the players' self-confidence.  

12 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Glad to have you back. However, you have to understand, that the optics of coming out the way you did,  during our current losing streak are not good. IMHO. 

That’s understandable. I just thought I’d put some actual numbers out there to see if these shooting issues are an outlier for CAM teams or not. 

15 hours ago, DC2345 said:

I didn’t feel like typing all of that out if I’m being honest. 

I am not complaining.  It just made me chuckle when i saw it presented that way.

Your points are valid and something to watch for.  Romeo seemed back on track with his shooting from the line until that last game when the entire team was atrocious. 

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

Guess what, these kids couldn't shoot when Crean was here either. I hate threads like this. Compairing someone's numbers at a totally different type school. If you think Archie is recruiting kids that would play at Dayton I don't know what to tell you. This is a topic after 3 to 4 recruiting cycles at IU, not after one. Until then its meaningless.

So now we’re going with the theory that it was impossible for Archie to recruit shooters at Dayton? 

43 minutes ago, rico said:

After watching the Purdue game a number of times.....I am more concerned about our interior defense that I am about our shooting.

good point...Morgan has really struggled to defend effectively and our best post defender, Davis, is quite clearly hampered by injury...Moore is usually okay on initial positioning but can be backed down and ends up giving up an angle eventually...

50 minutes ago, rico said:

After watching the Purdue game a number of times.....I am more concerned about our interior defense that I am about our shooting.

For this season, agreed. We just haven't found consistently reliable big bodies down low outside of an undersized Juwan due to injury or performance limitations. Any time we play against an elite big we seem to lose. I'd say you could mark 5 of our 6 losses as related to this issue. The outlier being Nebraska...that one we lost...for a lot of reasons.

Archived