Problems That Seem Unlikely to Get Fixed This Season

17 minutes ago, rico said:

Well, I just don't think that they had the shooters from the perimeter.  We are dang fine from with-in the arc.  So I translate that to the teams I mentioned.  There was no arc, but they were not taking 20 foot jumpers.  

Cant disagree but you had players on each of those teams you had to respect. Who do we have? 

1 hour ago, ATX_sig said:

Fitz was able to shoot for 2 games. I thought wow. this guy will never miss. Now crickets on his jump shot.  Archie seems to be trying to plug holes until his recruits get to be upperclassmen.   IMO, he swung and missed on Fitz but what were the alternatives other than the kid from UE.  Maybe that kid put education 1st when a chance to go to NW came along.  Who knows.   Taylor at SG with romeo at SF would sure look good.  IMO, Archie dropped the ball here if Taylor felt he would not have much opportunity to get PT at IU.

Agree. Lots of factors...you also have to make sure when bringing in another senior guard you aren’t breaking promises or upsetting your young guys. Thing was Romeo should have been our 2. Jerome starting the 3 this year. We should have had a guard rotation of Al, Green, RP, and Romeo. With SF rotation of Jerome, Romeo, and McRoberts. We honestly had no room for another guard. With Davis not 100% we really needed a big. That said honestly I would have been happy with an athletic shot blocker instead of an offensive big. Just someone that can alter shots and grab boards. Hopefully this team rounds out well over the next few seasons but I still want a lights out shooter on this roster...if we don’t have a threat to hit 3-4 a game out there than this team will never reach its potential.

13 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Cant disagree but you had players on each of those teams you had to respect. Who do we have? 

We got Juwan and Romeo.  The teams I mentioned had dominating big men, in Georgetown's case they had two.  UVA was dominant at the time with Sampson, but they had Jeff Lamp and Rick Carlisle.  Different era, no arc.....no shot clock.  

28 minutes ago, rico said:

We got Juwan and Romeo.  The teams I mentioned had dominating big men, in Georgetown's case they had two.  UVA was dominant at the time with Sampson, but they had Jeff Lamp and Rick Carlisle.  Different era, no arc.....no shot clock.  

That's the type of info I have grown to expect from  Rico-pedia 

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

100% agree. I think if you want to get Fitz 3 pt looks you need to run him pick n rolls at top of the key with Romeo. Have him pick and pop back. 

That's how he gets most of his 3's right now (though it's not always Langford he's setting the screen for up top), but to your point about his slow shot, he's typically either rushed or too slow to get it off. I think where you need to put him is in the corner. Run a pick and roll with Langford/Juwan, with Fitz in the ball side corner. The defense will need to respect Juwan on the pop and then when Langford penetrates off the screen Fitz's defender should dig down to help. The action leaves you with either a Langford drive, Juwan from 3 on the pop, or Fitz from 3 (with time to get it off) in the corner. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

That's how he gets most of his 3's right now (though it's not always Langford he's setting the screen for up top), but to your point about his slow shot, he's typically either rushed or too slow to get it off. I think where you need to put him is in the corner. Run a pick and roll with Langford/Juwan, with Fitz in the ball side corner. The defense will need to respect Juwan on the pop and then when Langford penetrates off the screen Fitz's defender should dig down to help. The action leaves you with either a Langford drive, Juwan from 3 on the pop, or Fitz from 3 (with time to get it off) in the corner. 

Good point too. But that’s just the thing. If he is too slow to get a pick n pop three off a screen with Romeo who teams have to double and hedge against he has no business out there then. If you have to be so wide open that someone is in the lane before they recover to you to get your shot off or to not be rushed...your not a D1 scholarship player imo....at least if that is your specialty. Anyways I don’t want to beat down the kid...it’s just clear as day why he lost playing time at St Mary’s who plays much much lesser competition. It was a nice try but he has no business at IU. 

4 hours ago, ATX_sig said:

Fitz was able to shoot for 2 games. I thought wow. this guy will never miss. Now crickets on his jump shot.  Archie seems to be trying to plug holes until his recruits get to be upperclassmen.   IMO, he swung and missed on Fitz but what were the alternatives other than the kid from UE.  Maybe that kid put education 1st when a chance to go to NW came along.  Who knows.   Taylor at SG with romeo at SF would sure look good.  IMO, Archie dropped the ball here if Taylor felt he would not have much opportunity to get PT at IU.

From my understanding we did want Taylor, he just didn't want us if we were to get Romeo.

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Good point too. But that’s just the thing. If he is too slow to get a pick n pop three off a screen with Romeo who teams have to double and hedge against he has no business out there then. If you have to be so wide open that someone is in the lane before they recover to you to get your shot off or to not be rushed...your not a D1 scholarship player imo....at least if that is your specialty. Anyways I don’t want to beat down the kid...it’s just clear as day why he lost playing time at St Mary’s who plays much much lesser competition. It was a nice try but he has no business at IU. 

I think it's maybe less about too slow, and more that he's better off as a stationary, catch/shoot guy. In the pick/pop you're in movement and sometimes moving away from the basket. I think he'd be better utilized in the corner where it's catch/shoot. 

22 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

From my understanding we did want Taylor, he just didn't want us if we were to get Romeo.

That makes sense from his and our perspective. Romeo is a 2/3. We had a starting 3 already with Jerome who was set to make every bit of an impact on this team as anyone else. Perfect world Romeo starts at the 2 and Jerome at the 3. Taylor wasn’t going to come off the bench. Reason we end up with Fitz is he agreed to be a rotational guy...he knew he wasn’t starting but would get playing time because of Davis injury. Nobody could have known we would start the season with half our rotation on the IR basically. Nobody knew we would lose our starting wing for the year and have to slide Romeo to the 3 spot. Totally makes sense for both sides to walk away when Romeo signed on.

Archived