Name your favorite all time college BB nickname

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/22/2019 at 3:12 PM, jefftheref said:

Neto, Bob Netolicky, The "Roger", Roger Brown, Bennie, Kent Benson,

Thanks for going down that road.  Old ABA Pacers is my "wheelhouse".

Neto

Raja

Mighty Mite

Boo Boo

Fritz

Dr. Dunk

Robo

Big Mac, Baby Bull

(Netolicky, Brown, Keller, Buse, Lewis, Hillman, Robisch, McGinnis).  I can't remember what they called Mel Daniels - want to say Tex, or Cowboy or something like that because of his love of horses.

As for real names, there was a guy back in the 80's named Hawthorne Wingo (mentioned in a Beastie Boys song, lol).  Remember Indiana H.S. players God Shamgod, and a guy at Broad Ripple with the first name "King" or something like that.

On 1/22/2019 at 3:11 PM, IU Scott said:

How about Slick Leonard

I've heard Netolicky refer to him as Slicky.  Bobby Leonard was responsible for a number of nicknames on the Pacers.  OT, but did anyone see the interview with him last spring when he expressed his delight that we got Romeo?  Once a Hoosier, always a Hoosier!

34 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

As for real names, there was a guy back in the 80's named Hawthorne Wingo (mentioned in a Beastie Boys song, lol).  Remember Indiana H.S. players God Shamgod, and a guy at Broad Ripple with the first name "King" or something like that.

Don't quote me on this...but I am pretty sure the guy at Broad Ripple's name was King Solomon Duke.

40 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Thanks for going down that road.  Old ABA Pacers is my "wheelhouse".

Neto

Raja

Mighty Mite

Boo Boo

Fritz

Dr. Dunk

Robo

Big Mac, Baby Bull

(Netolicky, Brown, Keller, Buse, Lewis, Hillman, Robisch, McGinnis).  I can't remember what they called Mel Daniels - want to say Tex, or Cowboy or something like that because of his love of horses.

When I was in high school our coach, Don Rogers used to have several players come in to talk at his summer camps. I remember Billy Keller, Louie Dampier and Neto. When Neto came I remember him driving a blue Corvette. Being a young punk I remember how tall he was and that good looking car. I was out looking over his car and when I looked inside it there must of been about 30 beer cans thrown in the back seat. What a life he must of had back then. lol

3 hours ago, jefftheref said:

When I was in high school our coach, Don Rogers used to have several players come in to talk at his summer camps. I remember Billy Keller, Louie Dampier and Neto. When Neto came I remember him driving a blue Corvette. Being a young punk I remember how tall he was and that good looking car. I was out looking over his car and when I looked inside it there must of been about 30 beer cans thrown in the back seat. What a life he must of had back then. lol

Netolicky had a "club" where all the players would hang out.  I believe it was called Neto's in the Meadows (an area on the near Northside of Indy).

My uncle claims that George McGinnis would drink a few beers and smoke a cigarette during halftime when he played for the Pacers.  It was different time back then, that's for sure.

Roger Brown was at our house in '74.  Unfortunately it's while he was an on-duty special deputy with the Marion County Sheriff's department... He shot me a funny look when I looked up and saw this tall guy - I didn't recognize him at first.  I was drinking something out of a Marathon Indiana Pacers glass, but I don't recall if he was the player depicted on it.

32 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Netolicky had a "club" where all the players would hang out.  I believe it was called Neto's in the Meadows (an area on the near Northside of Indy).

My uncle claims that George McGinnis would drink a few beers and smoke a cigarette during halftime when he played for the Pacers.  It was different time back then, that's for sure.

Roger Brown was at our house in '74.  Unfortunately it's while he was an on-duty special deputy with the Marion County Sheriff's department... He shot me a funny look when I looked up and saw this tall guy - I didn't recognize him at first.  I was drinking something out of a Marathon Indiana Pacers glass, but I don't recall if he was the player depicted on it.

Yes it was called Neto's in the Meadows. My brother used to go in there all the time. I was too young. 
I remember seeing a picture of Len Dawson during half time of Super 1 sitting in a chair having a smoke. 
Roger Brown is one of all time favorite players. He was such a talent and it was such a shame what happened to him earlier in his career. Man could he shake and bake!

1 hour ago, jefftheref said:

Yes it was called Neto's in the Meadows. My brother used to go in there all the time. I was too young. 
I remember seeing a picture of Len Dawson during half time of Super 1 sitting in a chair having a smoke. 
Roger Brown is one of all time favorite players. He was such a talent and it was such a shame what happened to him earlier in his career. Man could he shake and bake!

I was too young at the time as well, and I don't think I'd venture into that area today. 

You've probably seen it, but there's an outstanding documentary called "undefeated" about Roger Brown on PBS   https://www.pbs.org/video/wfyi-local-productions-undefeated-roger-brown-story/

46 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The best real name of all time was Baskerville Holmes.

A sad story.  Drug addicted. Killed his girlfriend.... and eventually committed suicide.

Looking forward to another real name coming onto to college BB scene.   Kofi COCKBURN.   Ouch, pains me just to type it.  LOL

Archived