Northwestern Postgame Thread

The Good:

1.  We played for about 20 minutes

2.  We had a Jake sighting

3.  We had a Moore sighting

4.  We didn't mail it in when we got down 15

5.  Overall NW game better than PU/MD

6.  At least we shot more shots when open--just couldn't make them

7.  All could be forgiven with a win against Mich Fri.

The Bad:

1.  Game is still 40 min long not 20.

2.  Not wanting to call a player out but Justin just needs to make the simple play not try for a highlight reel every shot--Not ready to give up on him yet

3.  Loss is still a loss

4.  No leader for this group and no "edge" as Fish stated in their attitudes.  Too soft and not changing.

5.  3 pt shooting is atrocious with no end in sight--hopefully improves with green light to shoot when open

Would really like to hear someone ask CAM what is his philosophy regarding the 3 ball.  Does he value it.  Is he just old school.  What does he see as a solution to the outside shooting woes we have going forward.  Rather than have all this speculation,  just let fans know what he ultimately wants to offense to look like.  Just curious.  

I'll be there for Mich game.  Go IU!

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Zach did not score.  1 rebound, 1 turnover, and 3 assists.  And, he got beat on defense a few times.

I had thought he hit on on a trey. My bad. That's what I get for not checking.  Thanks....However, I still like Zack...and wish he would attempt more OPEN treys. 

Well we were actually pushing the ball up the floor.  

No setting up shots for Fitz and Demezi while they were in.  Fitz played pretty well though.  Demezi just isn't ready.  

Would like to see Juwan step out and shoot instead of attempted to post through the double teams.  Smith needs to go back to letting the game come to him.  He forced multiple bad shots.  

Romeo has got to quit with the one or 2 horrible passes a game thing.  Also be smarter to pass out of the double team and nor force hot garbage.   

Mcbob, I'm just not sure we have enough capable bodies to leave him off the floor, please Falzon on Michigan.  

Just now, FWIUFan said:

The Good:

1.  We played for about 20 minutes

2.  We had a Jake sighting

3.  We had a Moore sighting

4.  We didn't mail it in when we got down 15

5.  Overall NW game better than PU/MD

6.  At least we shot more shots when open--just couldn't make them

7.  All could be forgiven with a win against Mich Fri.

The Bad:

1.  Game is still 40 min long not 20.

2.  Not wanting to call a player out but Justin just needs to make the simple play not try for a highlight reel every shot--Not ready to give up on him yet

3.  Loss is still a loss

4.  No leader for this group and no "edge" as Fish stated in their attitudes.  Too soft and not changing.

5.  3 pt shooting is atrocious with no end in sight--hopefully improves with green light to shoot when open

Would really like to hear someone ask CAM what is his philosophy regarding the 3 ball.  Does he value it.  Is he just old school.  What does he see as a solution to the outside shooting woes we have going forward.  Rather than have all this speculation,  just let fans know what he ultimately wants to offense to look like.  Just curious.  

I'll be there for Mich game.  Go IU!

I think the philosophy is to make more. We get plenty of open looks. We just suck.

9 minutes ago, iufaninand said:

It’s kind of sad to look for small victories st this point of the season, but I did feel like they played a bit tougher. As good a player as Romeo is, he’s not the saviour of iu basketball as some of us thought

I believe I read somewhere that was a big reason for his hesitancy to commit to IU.

Not trying to pick on the kid, but if McRoberts is not going to shoot open threes, he can't play.

Positive from tonight was Phinisee being a lot more aggressive. He took 7 threes tonight, would love to see more of that going forward. Durham needs to keep shooting too.

2 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

This sucks.....listened to Don Fisher interview and could not hear a word Archie said. Some kind of audio technical issue. Anyone get antging Archie said?

Lol.  Yea, I kept listening just to hear CAM's thoughts and we got nothing.  When it rains it pours...

7 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I like Zack.  However....even though he did hit one trey, I believe... he passed on way too many open three point opportunities.  Here's what I would like to see going forward.... Zach taking more open three point shots. And Romeo shutting it down for the rest of the season in terms of taking threes.

He didn't hit jack squat.  I love a stat line that shows lots of zeroes.  And he started?  I have had enough.

Hard to say it but was last years team better than this year? I’m starting to think so. Crazy that we add one of the greatest home grown talents in Indiana basketball history and bring back our leading scorer and our team get worse but it just might have. We are going to have to play great to make the tournament. That would be a tough one for Archie to explain back to back seasons with no post season play.

2 minutes ago, Shooter said:

Not trying to pick on the kid, but if McRoberts is not going to shoot open threes, he can't play.

Positive from tonight was Phinisee being a lot more aggressive. He took 7 threes tonight, would love to see more of that going forward. Durham needs to keep shooting too.

Bingo.  

I’m at a loss of words on this losing streak. All I can say is that I support the team, and I hope Romeo stays and plays with TJD and possibly Keion. I like the heart and toughness RP showed, and I think the future is bright and better days are ahead. Archie has no choice but to say he is proud of his team. The world is against them right now, even many of their own fans. I am IU for life, and support my team. But this is the most disappointed I have been in sports in a long while. At least we don’t have to wade through hours of Tom Brady coverage, right?

So a big problem is our lack of guard/wing depth. Essentially we have three competent perimeter players, Phinisee / Langford / Durham. If you play them all together your only bench options are McRoberts and Anderson, and you've got nobody to back up RP at point.

Why not try Smith at the 3? I don't love him there, he's not a shooter or playmaker, but neither is McRoberts. Now Durham is a quality backup instead of a slightly overstretched starter. You've opened more frontcourt minutes for Fitzner (floor spacing) or Moore (rebounding / rim protection) depending on the opponent or game situation. I think Smith is athletic enough laterally to guard a lot of wings.

5 minutes ago, FWIUFan said:

I believe I read somewhere that was a big reason for his hesitancy to commit to IU.

He is going to be a late lottery pick...but he isnt going to ever be considered a great college basketball player. Kind of sad his IU career will be pretty much unmemorable when it is all said and done. 

1 minute ago, Rev_AK said:

I’m at a loss of words on this losing streak. All I can say is that I support the team, and I hope Romeo stays and plays with TJD and possibly Keion. I like the heart and toughness RP showed, and I think the future is bright and better days are ahead. Archie has no choice but to say he is proud of his team. The world is against them right now, even many of their own fans. I am IU for life, and support my team. But this is the most disappointed I have been in sports in a long while. At least we don’t have to wade through hours of Tom Brady coverage, right?

Very well said and hope we all can think like that

Archived