Northwestern Postgame Thread

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I think maybe it is time for Morgan to call a payers only meeting and get everything out that is wrong with this team.  If there is a chemistry problem with this team it is time to get everyone together and Morgan needs to be the leader and try to get this taken care of.

Chemistry and math.  We have not figured out that the larger number wins.  

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where to start?  Body language is terrible.  JM is a beast with no help.  Romeo looks like he's hit a brick wall.  Everything seems so hard for this team. Obviously Archie is working on the deficiencies in practice but it doesn't seem like it's translating to the games.  Despite our horrible offense, our defense is keeping us in games. My concern here on out, is that you can't just snap your fingers and turn into a better shooting team.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

He is going to be a late lottery pick...but he isnt going to ever be considered a great college basketball player. Kind of sad his IU career will be pretty much unmemorable when it is all said and done. 

Agree.  I fear that if we indeed have a terrible end to this season and either not make the dance or poor showing and early exit if we do make as a low seed, that may throw some cold water on CAM's recruiting fever that he has established since takin over the reigns as coach of IUBB.  Perhaps may be part of reason Brooks takin his time committing.  I also think  it will negatively impact his legacy as a great Indiana BB player.  Romeo is a fine young man and role model. I only wish him the best.

I think I reached a weird place of zen during this game.  I kinda checked out when we were down 15 with 10 minutes left, but they at least kept fighting and made it a game.  Phinisee came through in the clutch again... Kid is gonna be really good.  Probably gonna try to pull back a little bit going forward... Not worth investing so much energy in an NIT team.  Still don’t really like what I’m seeing as far as style of play, but just gotta accept it at this point.

10 minutes ago, Rev_AK said:

I’m at a loss of words on this losing streak. All I can say is that I support the team, and I hope Romeo stays and plays with TJD and possibly Keion. I like the heart and toughness RP showed, and I think the future is bright and better days are ahead. Archie has no choice but to say he is proud of his team. The world is against them right now, even many of their own fans. I am IU for life, and support my team. But this is the most disappointed I have been in sports in a long while. At least we don’t have to wade through hours of Tom Brady coverage, right?

No offense, but CTC's last year was far worse and a complete meltdown/debacle with far more talent.  I'm disappointed too but this season has yet to be given a final place in IU lore.

10 minutes ago, Hoosierburgh said:

Where to start?  Body language is terrible.  JM is a beast with no help.  Romeo looks like he's hit a brick wall.  Everything seems so hard for this team. Obviously Archie is working on the deficiencies in practice but it doesn't seem like it's translating to the games.  Despite our horrible offense, our defense is keeping us in games. My concern here on out, is that you can't just snap your fingers and turn into a better shooting team.

If you look at the numbers, it all comes down to shooting. They FINALLY started to be aggressive on offense the last 10 minutes of the game. Some of these guys are afraid to shoot the ball. Shoot the ball. Way, way too many possessions end with 5 seconds left on the shot clock. If you have numbers underneath and you're open, shoot the ball.

We really only have 3 proven outside shooters that play legitimate minutes .  Durham, Phinisee,   and Morgan. Fitzner and Anderson were but can be a liability .  

I hope Archie can come up with something that gets these guys open. Especially Al and Rob from the perimeter,  Morgan,  Smith and Romeo for inside the arc opportunities.  Push the ball and defend like the last part of the game.   Show a little pride like the way it used to be!

A few ramblings...

- Archie only has 5 players he even remotely trusts right now. Very tough to win that way. 

- For the people calling for Damezi, he simply isn’t ready to play. 

- The only hope down the stretch here is for Phinisee to continue to be aggressive offensively and develop into the 3rd guy. Force the defense to defend him. His 2-3 week absence really set this team back. 

- Strong game from Durham, he needs to keep doing what he’s doing, and do more of it. 

- It’s amazing sometimes how bad Smith is offensively. He’s got to do better. But, he does play hard defensively for the most part.

- Archie has to adjust and push the pace. This team is so inept in terms of shooting, so we can’t continue to get no transition baskets. This team needs to score easy baskets, because the half court is so tedious. We did really well on out of bounds plays, but desperately need transition points. 

- At the risk of sounding like Crean, the offense needs to play faster.  

- Fitzner almost can’t be played. There’s nobody he can defend. 

- This will be unpopular. I love Romeo Langford, what a great, great kid and person, and he may very well end up IU’s best pro since Isiah (though VO will be tough competition), but the fact that he can’t make a 3 is killing this team offensively. He is a great scorer of course, but he’s not a hugely impactful player. I’d argue Zeller was more impactful to winning. Again, great kid, great representative for IU, his parents should be so proud, and I’d take him on my team 100 times out of 100, but he’s like one of those NBA scoring guards that puts up a ton of points, is so hard to defend, but never gets out of the first round if he’s your best player. 

We do get some open threes, but I don't like how we're getting them and how are shooters are ready for them.  They almost all come as a surprise to our guys.  Somebody will drive and they'll get a pass and be like, oh crap, I guess I'm open.  I should probably shoot it.  They need to be standing there ready to let it fly.  Calling for the ball even.

I think to help with that, we need to run some set plays to get guys looks from 3.  Each of the last 2 games we had a nice out of bounds play to get Rob an open 3 and he's knocked them down both games.  You can see it in how guys shoot when they have a play for them.  Not just for us, but in general.  They have more lift on their shots, they show more confidence, and a lot of times they can get in a rhythm and hit a couple.

What happened when Falzon hit his first 3?  They ran numerous plays to get him shots and he got confidence and found a rhythm.  If we have a guy hit a shot, I'd love to see us run a couple plays for him to try to get them another one.  We have shooters who are capable of hitting 3 or 4 in a row.  Not every game, but it should happen every once in a while.  I don't know if we've had anybody get hot from 3 since Archie has been here.

We need to get out in transition too.  We're athletic enough that we should be a good transition team.  Transition opens up a ton of opportunities.  I'd like to see a transition opportunity once where a guy pulls up for a 3.  Something different than the type of shots we're currently getting.

When do we win our next game?

If anybody had told me when Langford committed that we would (likely at this point) miss the tournament, I would have thought they were crazy.  I am absolutely disgusted with the state of this program right now.

Somebody talk me off the ledge because at this point I think Miller is losing me.  I keep coming back to this program hoping that this, this is the year where we finally start crawling back towards the semblance of what this proud program used to be and almost every year we get to around this point and you realize that it is another year wasted.  This, gentlemen, is a sad state of affairs and we are losing the following generations.  I have a 10 year old and when you talk to his friends, they all think IU sucks.  Some of them marginally are "fans" because their parents are, but they think we are a mess.  And who could blame them?

I stand by my comment a few days ago.  We MUST find the competent guy and it has to happen quickly.  Archie is in the process of burning through his second year and I do not see anything that indicates to me that this ship is getting fixed next year.  If he does not get it done, the entire A.D. needs nuked.  That would be the last strike for Mr. Glass for me.

I am beyond frustrated with this program.  It has not been enjoyable for years.  Somehow we had an administration take us from a crown jewel of the Big Ten to a bottom dweller.  

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

- This will be unpopular. I love Romeo Langford, what a great, great kid and person, and he may very well end up IU’s best pro since Isiah (though VO will be tough competition), but the fact that he can’t make a 3 is killing this team offensively. He is a great scorer of course, but he’s not a hugely impactful player. I’d argue Zeller was more impactful to winning. Again, great kid, great representative for IU, his parents should be so proud, and I’d take him on my team 100 times out of 100, but he’s like one of those NBA scoring guards that puts up a ton of points, is so hard to defend, but never gets out of the first round if he’s your best player. 

I think he'd benefit from transition opportunities more than anybody to give him a chance to get out in space and make a play.  I wonder if he's starting to get emotionally worn down from always having to try to make things happen in the half court against defenses packed into the lane.

In the second half of the Maryland game he got going on offense and you could tell he had more confidence and he hit a couple tough threes to keep us in the game.

He's a peacock, we've got to let him fly!

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

A few ramblings...

- Archie only has 5 players he even remotely trusts right now. Very tough to win that way. 

- For the people calling for Damezi, he simply isn’t ready to play. 

- The only hope down the stretch here is for Phinisee to continue to be aggressive offensively and develop into the 3rd guy. Force the defense to defend him. His 2-3 week absence really set this team back. 

- Strong game from Durham, he needs to keep doing what he’s doing, and do more of it. 

- It’s amazing sometimes how bad Smith is offensively. He’s got to do better. But, he does play hard defensively for the most part.

- Archie has to adjust and push the pace. This team is so inept in terms of shooting, so we can’t continue to get no transition baskets. This team needs to score easy baskets, because the half court is so tedious. We did really well on out of bounds plays, but desperately need transition points. 

- At the risk of sounding like Crean, the offense needs to play faster.  

- Fitzner almost can’t be played. There’s nobody he can defend. 

He is Noah Vonleh as a player.  Going to go get his in the NBA after a year but the way things are going, good kid or not, his career at IU is going to be viewed as a waste.

Same problem as the Vonleh team too.  He was surrounded by a bunch of guys who could not hit the broadside of a barn from behind the arc.

15 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

He is Noah Vonleh as a player.  Going to go get his in the NBA after a year but the way things are going, good kid or not, his career at IU is going to be viewed as a waste.

Same problem as the Vonleh team too.  He was surrounded by a bunch of guys who could not hit the broadside of a barn from behind the arc.

Difference is Romeo is one of the guys that we brought in to hit that barn. 

15 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Difference is Romeo is one of the guys that we brought in to hit that barn. 

Yeah, he has been a disappointment for me.  I was thinking with the hype he had coming in that we were looking at an Eric Gordon type of player.  He is not that.  He is not even really a Cody Zeller at this point.  That is why I brought up Vonleh.  A really good player who had zero impact on the program.  That is what Romeo is starting to look like.

I know this is more of the positive IU site but I will throw this out here too:

If Archie is not the answer, I want Fred Glass fired before we make another hire. He took over in 2008, let's take a look at any University's 2 flagship programs under his leadership. He was hired in October of 2008, football had already started so that first year is debatable.

Football

08-09 3-9
09-10 4-8
10-11 5-7
11-12 1-11
12-13 4-8
13-14 5-7
14-15 4-8
15-16 6-7
16-17 6-7
17-18 5-7
18-19 5-7

Basketball

08-09 6-25
09-10 10-21
10-11 12-20
11-12 27-9
12-13 29-7
13-14 17-15
14-15 20-14
15-16 27-8
16-17 18-16
17-18 16-15
18-19 12-7

Frankly folks, we have been mediocre to garbage in both of those programs for the majority of Glass's decade on the job. In basketball, 4 NCAA tournament appearances in probably 11 years with the way this year is swirling the drain. Never making it past the sweet 16 and doing that all at the low sum of a Top 10 salary in D1. 174 wins and 157 losses. The definition of mediocre.

In football, no bowl wins, only two bowl appearances and zero winning seasons. And oh yeah, we fired the coach who took us to 2 of our only 3 bowl appearances since George H.W. Bush was President because? Undisclosed reasons and innuendo. 48 wins and 86 losses. The definition of garbage.

Frankly, if we miss the tournament this year, I would fire Fred anyway. He has run the two money makers for any AD into the ground. "But, but facilities upgrades..." Yeah, I could have done that too with the influx of BTN money. He literally has done nothing in his position of note.

Langford is a fantastic player, he’s pretty unselfish, plays really solid D, and is a good teammate, what is really holding him back is his inability to hit the 3-pt shot. It’s really holding his potential impact back. I knew he wasn’t going to be a lights, 40%+ 3-pt shooter, but I thought maybe he could be around 35-37%. If he was in that range, it would open so much up for other guys. 

30 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Langford is a fantastic player, he’s pretty unselfish, plays really solid D, and is a good teammate, what is really holding him back is his inability to hit the 3-pt shot. It’s really holding his potential impact back. I knew he wasn’t going to be a lights, 40%+ 3-pt shooter, but I thought maybe he could be around 35-37%. If he was in that range, it would open so much up for other guys. 

This 💯 

On the plus side are Morgan, Phinisee and Durham.  Not only are they very good players in today’s game, they are throwbacks too, guys who could play in any era.  Coach Knight would have loved those three guys.  They are competitive, tough, have good IQ, and are well rounded basketball players.  

On the negative side, there are a couple of guys I’d love to see transfer if we can find a couple of senior transfers to come in and bail us out.  A couple of guys have a style of play that is not conducive to winning especially in today’s game.  They are guys with raw ability who are the type of players that, when we were rolling, would be the type of opponent we’d kill with lesser athletes. In today’s game, the math tells you that you need to be able to stretch the floor and we need that.   

On the more neutral side, Damezi looks like he’s in awe, kind of like a guy who normally plays on one of the back courts at the HPER who suddenly finds himself on one of the first two courts against much higher speed and talent than he’s used to.  “You aren’t playing Tipton anymore,” as coach Knight would say.  I like his tools but the one thing about him that bugs me is he doesn’t get in a stance.  He’s too upright and stands around.  I mean, he barely plays and should be energetic. He may have jitters but we need tenacity out of him.  I like the tools and he just needs time.  

I think Moore can bring some things.  We see it every time. He can block a shot, get some boards, set some screens. Play him more.   He can help with the heavy work loads for some of the starters.

As for anyone else, there is nobody to blame but themselves.  You have every opportunity to set your own positive course and control your own destiny.  We need better basketball IQ, etc.  No need for excuses. Coach Miller has given you every opportunity.  It’s not anything to blame anyone else for.  

Archived