Northwestern Postgame Thread

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

These numbers are all fine and dandy but did those teams have a Romeo and a Juwan. We have the talent to have a much better record.  Iam not saying the sky is falling etc.. Get rid of CAM or anything like that but we are so under performing that I can't buy the build the program argument. I have made so many excuses to friends and family about this team, and I have come to the conclusion it should be good but it just is not a good team.

Izzo had cleaves and Mo Pete..coach K had all ACC Vince Taylor.. Beilein had all BIG Manny Harris..Donovan had Jason Williams..Bennett had two NBA players.. Weight had two future NBA players.. Donovan followed up Jason Williams with Udonis Haslem and Mike Miller..

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

None of these coaches were coaching elite programs at the time of the start.  That could be made a point but duke wasn’t duke and Syracuse was not Syracuse at those times.  All the other progrms were not considered elite.  Let’s see the first 2 years of the likes of Roy at UNC, Self at Kansas, Cal at Kentucky, and others like that and then I think your comparison is reasonable.  Your comparison works for McKracken when IU did not have 5 championships as most of the ones you listed had no history either.  Current high level programs don’t need to wait 5 years to be better. 

IU is considered elite? We havnt been to a final four in 17 years. To say that IU roster is anywhere close to being constructed well when Archie toke over is a complete joke. We held on to Crean WAY to long. 

1 minute ago, 5 championships said:

Izzo had cleaves and Mo Pete..coach K had all ACC Vince Taylor.. Beilein had all BIG Manny Harris..Donovan had Jason Williams..Bennett had two NBA players.. Weight had two future NBA players.. Donovan followed up Jason Williams with Udonis Haslem and Mike Miller..

Point taken. At the beginning of the year many on here said we had 2 of the top 5 players in the conference. Watching our offense with 2 guys that can score at will and wondering why we are currently one of the least effective scoring teams to me is unexcusable. 

13 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

None of these coaches were coaching elite programs at the time of the start.  That could be made a point but duke wasn’t duke and Syracuse was not Syracuse at those times.  All the other progrms were not considered elite.  Let’s see the first 2 years of the likes of Roy at UNC, Self at Kansas, Cal at Kentucky, and others like that and then I think your comparison is reasonable.  Your comparison works for McKracken when IU did not have 5 championships as most of the ones you listed had no history either.  Current high level programs don’t need to wait 5 years to be better. 

IU isnt IU !  We are far from elite at this point..  what crean left was mediocre at best.  This is going to take time, regardless who took the job.  

I saw an interview of Rob last night.  He said he had HA's and memory problems after his concussion.  It sounded like the memory problems were the worst of his difficulties.  He said that he and the other players had taken tests before the season to establish their "baseline".  He said he had trouble getting back to his "baseline" memory.

8 hours ago, rico said:

This is not sarcasm, if I am gonna lose I want Damezi, Cliff, Jake, and Race on the floor.  Damezi not ready, hell McRoberts aint ready.  Fitz ain't ready.  Archie needs wholesale changes.  Not only in personnel, but his strategy as well.  

You still want Anderson to be out there after what you saw last night

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Point taken. At the beginning of the year many on here said we had 2 of the top 5 players in the conference. Watching our offense with 2 guys that can score at will and wondering why we are currently one of the least effective scoring teams to me is unexcusable. 

When you are playing 2 on 5 offense becomes hard. The lane is completely packed. Defensively teams are daring anybody besides Juwan and Romeo to beat them. Romeo picking up charges cuz lane is completely packed and Juwan getting doubled in post. They are good but when your facing 2 and 3 defenders life becomes very difficult... 4/21 from three last night. This is more on Durham, Smith and the rest of the crew being extremely inefficient. If they could make a shot and not allow the defense to way over help our offense would be completely fine. Also Juwan went for 17 and 11 last night. Not sure how much mute you can ask outta him.. outside of him and Romeo and Rob when he isn’t hurt this team lacks someone who can make a shot incredibly bad

11 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I had thought he hit on on a trey. My bad. That's what I get for not checking.  Thanks....However, I still like Zack...and wish he would attempt more OPEN treys. 

I'm on the opposite side of the coin on this one. If McRoberts is in the game, he should be cutting to the basket and/or away from the ball so that his man can't leave him wide open at the 3 point line to help on others as easily. If he does get the ball wide open from 3, instead of shooting it, drive it to the basket (which he seemed to do some of the time last night for the 1st time I've noticed). 

12 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Every time I see these types of posts I can't help but wonder, how many coaches started with similar numbers and are forgotten on the ash heap of history because they never improved.  I get the point, and I agree we have to be patient, but these numbers have no relation to Archie.  

I don’t understand how it doesn’t. Obviously not every coach is going to be great? It shows that hall of fame coach or not you can’t judge on 2 years. Takes more time. With Archie proven track record of winning it points to the fact even more that we need to have patience

1 minute ago, 5 championships said:

I don’t understand how it doesn’t. Obviously not every coach is going to be great? It shows that hall of fame coach or not you can’t judge on 2 years. Takes more time. With Archie proven track record of winning it points to the fact even more that we need to have patience

What does Steve Alford's first two years look like at Missouri St., Iowa, and New Mexico?  How about Tubby Smith's first two at UK and Minnesota? 

To me you are just picking names to make your argument.  I can pick names to play the Devil's Advocate. 

31 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

Duke had played din the championship game a couple of years before coach K got there.  Also Duke starting in the 50's has finished in the AP top 10 more than any team in the country.

20 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Duke had previous success but Coach K was really young CBK saw something special in him and needed more time. CTC inherited a complete bare cupboard. CAM did not have the greatest of teams set for him but he had 6 years experience and a top 5 recruit in RL and a top 25 player in JM. Right now we are not competing. Thats all I ask.  CTC's 1st team stunk to high heaven and we knew it but they tried and played hard we had no expectations and we started turning the corner toward success.  This son of a gun right now is in REVERSE going full speed behind.

I hate to say it but looking back at all the build up with Romeo and the 300 pages and how much better this year was going to be with him seems like a long time ago,but I agree with JM and Romeo we should be better,injuries have hurt but damn...what a waste.

1 minute ago, rico said:

What does Steve Alford's first two years look like at Missouri St., Iowa, and New Mexico?  How about Tubby Smith's first two at UK and Minnesota? 

To me you are just picking names to make your argument.  I can pick names to play the Devil's Advocate. 

Definitely can. My point is you can’t judge a book by its cover or a coach for that matter after only two years. My gosh he only has one class of recruits brought in by him that are freshmen. Lets not shoot something great down before it gets started because it’s not giving us what we want right now at this very moment. Hoosier nation needs to see the big picture a little better. Get back to me in year 4 or 5 and if this  is how we are playing then see ya Arch. 

After reading some of the post on here this morning I thought I had went to the wrong board because these post looks like more what you see on the Rivals site.  Yes everyone is upset with how we are playing but if you guys want to stop backing your team then don't let the door hit you on the backside on the way out. To say that the fans care more about the team that the players and coaches is just ridiculous because they are playing hard for the most part but just is not executing well right now.

7 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Definitely can. My point is you can’t judge a book by its cover or a coach for that matter after only two years. My gosh he only has one class of recruits brought in by him that are freshmen. Lets not shoot something great down before it gets started because it’s not giving us what we want right now at this very moment. Hoosier nation needs to see the big picture a little better. Get back to me in year 4 or 5 and if this  is how we are playing then see ya Arch. 

Who said I wanted Archie gone?  I must have missed that memo.  Fans can be critical of him in year 2, doesn't mean they are calling for his head.

25 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

But a lot of fans are and it makes the rest of us look bad

I have not seen anyone on here calling for his head. My beef is that we have no shooters and our offense looks like crap. I for one do not feel like our guys are competing.  I dont like losing but can accept it if playing and and we are moving in right direction.  Right now I dont see those things.  I feel as though we are wasting a great opportunity.  Still lots of time to turn it around 

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I have not seen anyone on here calling for his head. My beef is that we have no shooters and our offense looks like crap. I for one do not feel like our guys are competing.  I dont like losing but can accept it if playing and and we are moving in right direction.  Right now I dont see those things.  I feel as though we are wasting a great opportunity.  Still lots of time to turn it around 

Scott, evidently has some paranoia about what is said in social media.  And apparently 5 championships does too.

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Clifton Moore gets in the game, grabs two boards and gets a block in 2 minutes... Immediately gets benched and doesn’t see the floor for the rest of the game.  So sick of hearing this from Archie.

FBBF1753-3343-4868-A683-C54A88D1ABD9.png

You are preaching to the choir!  LOL

Archived