Beilein on Archie: It's all About Culture

22 minutes ago, macomb hoosier said:

Fair enough, but I don't think DD thinks of him as an IU guy. I read Dakich's comments as code for a BK guy.

Also, Calbert had a lot of influence in this position, so much that people thought his departure signaled the change in culture that ultimately undermined FTC.

My response to this line of thought is...If I want someone in the locker room telling everyone that they need to keep at it and good things can happen...that the pain is worth the reward...I think Elston has walked the walk more than Lewis and Fife (who, came into winning programs).

I think it would be nice to have a tie back to when this program was actually worth a darn.  Lewis and Fife would be just about the last in line of that period of excellence and even they were on its fraying edges.

And if any Indiana guys were overlooked by Miller and the A.D. because they did not want Miller looking over his shoulder at his replacement, then he and whoever else in the A.D. who thought that are not the guys for their jobs.  That is planning for failure in my opinion.  I want a guy coming in who has the confidence to pick whomever because he knows that he is going to succeed.  There will be no question of replacements.  Do any of you think Izzo, Beilein, Calipari, William's, Self, etc. were worried about their replacement on the day they took the job? 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I think it would be nice to have a tie back to when this program was actually worth a darn.  Lewis and Fife would be just about the last in line of that period of excellence and even they were on its fraying edges.

And if any Indiana guys were overlooked by Miller and the A.D. because they did not want Miller looking over his shoulder at his replacement, then he and whoever else in the A.D. who thought that are not the guys for their jobs.  That is planning for failure in my opinion.  I want a guy coming in who has the confidence to pick whomever because he knows that he is going to succeed.  There will be no question of replacements.  Do any of you think Izzo, Beilein, Calipari, William's, Self, etc. were worried about their replacement on the day they took the job? 

Ok,

To be fair. I like "IU guys" both on the team and on the bench. I felt comfortable with Crean because he had Cheaney on the bench. I'm happy that Archie is recruiting IU kids.

Consider this counterfactual: Where would this program be if Glass hired the "best IU guy" available (Alford) instead of CAM? I think we would be staring at a decade+ of irrelevancy.

7 minutes ago, macomb hoosier said:

Ok,

To be fair. I like "IU guys" both on the team and on the bench. I felt comfortable with Crean because he had Cheaney on the bench. I'm happy that Archie is recruiting IU kids.

Consider this counterfactual: Where would this program be if Glass hired the "best IU guy" available (Alford) instead of CAM? I think we would be staring at a decade+ of irrelevancy.

I am not saying the head coach has to be an IU guy, but I think it might help to have an IU guy on the bench.

Outside of that, I think Dakich brought up some issues that relate directly to the way the team is being coached in general, he particularly zeroed in on the misuse of Langford and not holding players accountable.  If not an IU guy, can we at least have some people that will/can do that?

16 minutes ago, macomb hoosier said:

Ok,

I have tried my best to block out the Tom Crean Era, so apologies if I am incorrect. 

When was Cheaney on the bench with Crean?

It was before he bailed for St. Louis.  I think he may have had a different title than assistant coach? Maybe director of basketball ops?  I don't think he could go on the road to recruit, for example.  I don't know anything specifically but heard via weak hearsay that CC was not happy with Crean.  That could be wrong but I am sure an insider could clarify.

31 minutes ago, macomb hoosier said:

Fair enough, but I don't think DD thinks of him as an IU guy. I read Dakich's comments as code for a BK guy.

Also, Calbert had a lot of influence in this position, so much that people thought his departure signaled the change in culture that ultimately undermined FTC.

My response to this line of thought is...If I want someone in the locker room telling everyone that they need to keep at it and good things can happen...that the pain is worth the reward...I think Elston has walked the walk more than Lewis and Fife (who, came into winning programs).

Similar to what you have shared, the information I was getting while Calbert was here is quite similar. The guys had a lot of respect for Calbert to the point where it pissed Crean off. Also, that Crean got credit for developing specific players when Calbert was the main factor in such instances. In the end, supposedly Calbert and Crean clashed to the point that the separation was mutual. 

I had made the statement that Glass should have done everything he could to retain Calbert as his presence was invaluable to the program. I was then told that It wasn’t going to happen and that they just simply didn’t get along.

I think I may have mentioned this a while back in another post. I dont get any info unless I ask specifically. Even then, I may or may not get a direct answer. I’m no insider by any means. I don’t ask recruiting questions as I don’t want to put anyone in a bad spot. Instead, I rely on some of our HSN members to do the dirty work. 

24 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Similar to what you have shared, the information I was getting while Calbert was here is quite similar. The guys had a lot of respect for Calbert to the point where it pissed Crean off. Also, that Crean got credit for developing specific players when Calbert was the main factor in such instances. In the end, supposedly Calbert and Crean clashed to the point that the separation was mutual. 

I had made the statement that Glass should have done everything he could to retain Calbert as his presence was invaluable to the program. I was then told that It wasn’t going to happen and that they just simply didn’t get along.

I think I may have mentioned this a while back in another post. I dont get any info unless I ask specifically. Even then, I may or may not get a direct answer. I’m no insider by any means. I don’t ask recruiting questions as I don’t want to put anyone in a bad spot. Instead, I rely on some of our HSN members to do the dirty work. 

Hey Archie, sounds like I got the perfect guy for you....

Archived