Rutgers Post

Drroogh

I mentioned this a few games ago and I'll say it again. The absolute worst word that can creep into IU Basketball is apathy. It's settling in for me and I can't believe I'm typing this. Never did I think after showing some promise last year, getting Romeo, starting off 12-2 would we be at this place on the last day of January.  I have zero clue what the answers are, no clue anymore if Archie is the answer.....we have officially become worse than Nebraska Football because they at least still sell out every home game.

Just don't care right now. I'm sure things will change in a week but right now....I'll do something Saturday that I haven't done in 30 years. Won't even care to watch my Hoosiers. This group of kids have collectively make it so painful to watch...I can't do it. 

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Can you put together the rankings of what Chris Mack inherited from David Padgett?

24/7 Rankings 2017 

#27 Malik Williams from Fort Wayne 

#72 Darius Perry

#88 Jordan Nwora

2016 Rankings 

#24 VJ King 

plus they have 2 transfer players who came before Mack and are now contributing, Enoch and Sutton. McMahon wasn’t highly rated but he’s a senior now and has always been known as a great shooter. 

49 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I mentioned this a few games ago and I'll say it again. The absolute worst word that can creep into IU Basketball is apathy. It's settling in for me and I can't believe I'm typing this. Never did I think after showing some promise last year, getting Romeo, starting off 12-2 would we be at this place on the last day of January.  I have zero clue what the answers are, no clue anymore if Archie is the answer.....we have officially become worse than Nebraska Football because they at least still sell out every home game.

Just don't care right now. I'm sure things will change in a week but right now....I'll do something Saturday that I haven't done in 30 years. Won't even care to watch my Hoosiers. This group of kids have collectively make it so painful to watch...I can't do it. 

The IU fans I know don't watch anymore and haven't for a couple weeks.  It will take a FF or a coaching change to get them interested again.  Nothing else will suffice.  This is going to be an interesting year or so to say the least.

19 minutes ago, Indiana8585 said:

24/7 Rankings 2017 

#27 Malik Williams from Fort Wayne 

#72 Darius Perry

#88 Jordan Nwora

2016 Rankings 

#24 VJ King 

plus they have 2 transfer players who came before Mack and are now contributing, Enoch and Sutton. McMahon wasn’t highly rated but he’s a senior now and has always been known as a great shooter. 

So, Mack is coaching up players that Pitino left behind.  

5 minutes ago, Indiana8585 said:

No I was pointing out that Mack had far more talent and experience with the team he inherited compared to Archie. You may feel different but IMO he’s had far more to work with. 

Archie had at least 3 top 100 players last year.  RJ, Deron, and JS.  Hartman was borderline.  I don't think the talent difference was much.

6 minutes ago, Indiana8585 said:

No I was pointing out that Mack had far more talent and experience with the team he inherited compared to Archie. You may feel different but IMO he’s had far more to work with. 

Far more but point remains. Louisville who has had as much scandal, program trouble in hoops, probation, firing,etc....are cruising in year 1 under Mack. Probably a 3 seed. Here we are still trying to figure out how to make an entry pass and find one kid who can shoot.

11 minutes ago, Indiana8585 said:

How so?  VJ King, who was the most experienced coming into the season does not even start now.  Perry, Williams, and Nwora were not major contributors prior to this year.  And, it's not like those rankings are significantly better than what IU has, not even including Romeo.  Meanwhile, their transfers are contributing while ours can no longer do what he was known for.  Their team is getting better as the season goes along.  Ours is imploding.  And, let's not forget that this is only Mack's first year.  Archie has the benefit of his own recruiting class.  

I don't see it as Mack having more to work with at all  I see it as he's done more with the,hand he was dealt.  He obviously has buy-in from the players, where Archie obviously does not.  That is the main difference.

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Far more but point remains. Louisville who has had as much scandal, program trouble in hoops, probation, firing,etc....are cruising in year 1 under Mack. Probably a 3 seed. Here we are still trying to figure out how to make an entry pass and find one kid who can shoot.

Ok I’m still not sure what Mack has to do with Archie? Are we going to complain now we didn’t hire Mack? For years fans yelled about Crean and said Archie was a great up and coming coach. If Mack would’ve come here how does anyone know he’d do better? 

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

How so?  VJ King, who was the most experienced coming into the season does not even start now.  Perry, Williams, and Nwora were not major contributors prior to this year.  And, it's not like those rankings are significantly better than what IU has, not even including Romeo.  Meanwhile, their transfers are contributing while ours can no longer do what he was known for.  Their team is getting better as the season goes along.  Ours is imploding.  And, let's not forget that this is only Mack's first year.  Archie has the benefit of his own recruiting class.  

I don't see it as Mack having more to work with at all  I see it as he's done more with the,hand he was dealt.  He obviously has buy-in from the players, where Archie obviously does not.  That is the main difference.

Then be a Louisville fan

9 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

I am a BIG archie fan. I believe he’s our guy long term. I could be wrong but that’s where I am at. I believe something behind the scenes is WRONG with this team as evidenced by such a dramatic nose dive and all the body language we see.

no I don’t believe Archie is blameless...heck he’s the head guy and the buck stops with him. Are there concerns? Absolutely!

to the person that said (sorry don’t remember) “we are a minimum of 2-3 years from being good” well with all due respect “duh, any program is 2-3 years from being that coaches TEAM.” In college football you really have to give a coach four years because teams lean more on upperclassmen.  In college basketball, you might be able to fudge it to 3. Personally as a big archie fan I DO expect that starting NEXT year he must be in the tourney and showing both in recruiting and in wins that we are following the path to get to where we need to be. Next year I am all for being reasonably critical. Right now, sorry but I believe nothing good can come from us as fans flipping out. All thats going to do it hurt team morale, hurting recruiting, etc when there is NO way Archie is going anywhere nor should he. 

Do you have the RIGHT to gripe and complain? Yes. Should you? In my opinion no because NOTHING GOOD can come of it. And this is coming from a guy calling for Crean’s head like MAD at the end of his career. Posters here no that. Archie gets what crean got...his chance. 

Nonone is going to tell me Archie doesn’t want to win and isn’t trying his hardest. He has the backing of other coaches and he has a proven track record to say he should get his chance which should be a minimum of three years before anyone throws a fit.

just my take.

I will take credit for saying it would be 2-3 years until we're good....I was thinking too negatively, and didn't articulate very well.  I know it will take time, but I am surprised " how year two has been a step back from year one.  Also, by being "good", I don't mean vying for a big ten title.  By good, I mean top 4-5 in the conference.  I still think Archie is our best hope for long term success, and it is unfair to him that the fanbase has years of frustration built up that falls on his shoulders.  We fans should let some of this go and not be so impatient, unreasonable and obtuse.  This is why I am trying to let this season go.  As I have said before, most of our excitement comes in the off-season and what help is "on the way".  Recent hope has been CAM, than Romeo, now TJD and possibly Brooks, with the growing legend of Hunter, etc.  

I do respect this level headed approach by you, Badgervol, and others. It is why I have a hard time staying away from IU basketball. I am convinced that without this board, I would not spend nearly the amount of time thinking about this dreaded game as I do.  Cheers to this board, and let's hope for better days when we also toast to Archie and a new banner being unfurled in Assembly Hall.

1 minute ago, Indiana8585 said:

Ok I’m still not sure what Mack has to do with Archie? Are we going to complain now we didn’t hire Mack? For years fans yelled about Crean and said Archie was a great up and coming coach. If Mack would’ve come here how does anyone know he’d do better? 

Not a thing. Just flow of conversation. My apologies. 

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Not a thing. Just flow of conversation. My apologies. 

Sorry I’m just upset too about the situation didn’t mean to bite your head off. I thought my IU student days were the worst with four coaches (Davis, Sampson, Dakich, and Crean) in four years but it doesn’t appear that way now. I agree though something has gone seriously wrong. 

2 minutes ago, Indiana8585 said:

No one is complaining that we didn't hire Mack.  It's simply a fair comparison for those that expected more to counter those that seem to be implying that Archie inherited a pile of poop.

10 hours ago, HOOSIER1321 said:

I think you mean well. But he was killing it in practice? That sounds like Tom Crean speak honestly. I think any team with two NBA players should make the NCAA tournament. And neither of those players has gotten hurt. 

Morgan is not an NBA player because there is not much of a need for a 6'7 power forward in the NBA

1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

Yes and we really weren't much worse without him.  MSU just lost arguably it's best player the season and they are still cruising.  Injuries are part of the game.  

Ok you used him as an example of a highly ranked player Archie inherited and I was pointing out Archie hasn’t got to see the best out of him being injured. 

5 minutes ago, Indiana8585 said:

Sorry I’m just upset too about the situation didn’t mean to bite your head off. I thought my IU student days were the worst with four coaches (Davis, Sampson, Dakich, and Crean) in four years but it doesn’t appear that way now. I agree though something has gone seriously wrong. 

No problem. We're all in the same boat. Just at a loss for something that means so much. I was in a group text last night with family. We have 4 generations of IU blood in our family with 3 living. All of us are just lost.  When Crean took over we knew how bad we were going to be because we returned 8 minutes......but this year?? Just pissed. 

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

No one is complaining that we didn't hire Mack.  It's simply a fair comparison for those that expected more to counter those that seem to be implying that Archie inherited a pile of poop.

That’s fair but I still believe that Mack inherited a better team than Archie. Also I’m not trying to excuse Archie this season has been pathetic.

Just now, Seeking6 said:

No problem. We're all in the same boat. Just at a loss for something that means so much. I was in a group text last night with family. We have 4 generations of IU blood in our family with 3 living. All of us are just lost.  When Crean took over we knew how bad we were going to be because we returned 8 minutes......but this year?? Just pissed. 

I hear you, my family is all IU grads for the most part dating back to the late 1800’s and I’ve never seen some of them be this down. IU basketball was always something special every season and now it just feels like any chance of becoming a national contender is slipping away. That horrible Crean team was my last year at IU and I really never thought it would be that bad again but right now it seems worse given the better players we have. Some in my family won’t even watch right now ( or at least they say that) because of how pathetic we’ve been. Just really effing pissed too Seeking. 

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Morgan is not an NBA player because there is not much of a need for a 6'7 power forward in the NBA

I agree Scott and one thing that has been costing us is the size difference we’re giving up right now. Morgan is a great player but he’s not a 5 in the big ten. I’d say play Moore but I just don’t know if he can handle it inside against top opponents. 

Archived