Rutgers Post

Drroogh

3 minutes ago, Indiana8585 said:

I hear you, my family is all IU grads for the most part dating back to the late 1800’s and I’ve never seen some of them be this down. IU basketball was always something special every season and now it just feels like any chance of becoming a national contender is slipping away. That horrible Crean team was my last year at IU and I really never thought it would be that bad again but right now it seems worse given the better players we have. Some in my family won’t even watch right now ( or at least they say that) because of how pathetic we’ve been. Just really effing pissed too Seeking. 

Yep. My Dad has thyroid surgery this morning at 6 but he's up texting at 10 last night. My 80 year old aunt said she just can't take it anymore and turned it off when Rutgers went on run at end of first half. My sister in Illinois was glad she wasn't watching (apathy set in for her 2 games ago) My Coors Lights were having a shelf life of about 4 minutes during a stretch. Can't believe ESPN has our game at Sparty Saturday as the Gameday game.  

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, hoosier_exotics said:

10 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Back in the day, you had serious questions about Crean.  I have serious questions about Archie,  Not piling on, just reserving my right to be a concerned fan, much like you did with Crean.  

“Back in the day “ was after 4-5 seasons of watching Crean, not 1 1/2.

Big difference 

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. My Dad has thyroid surgery this morning at 6 but he's up texting at 10 last night. My 80 year old aunt said she just can't take it anymore and turned it off when Rutgers went on run at end of first half. My sister in Illinois was glad she wasn't watching (apathy set in for her 2 games ago) My Coors Lights were having a shelf life of about 4 minutes during a stretch. Can't believe ESPN has our game at Sparty Saturday as the Gameday game.  

Prayers to your Dad this morning, I hope everything goes good. I love that about your aunt still got the fire burning for IU basketball! The beer always seems to go faster when we’re losing especially last night with that 22-0 run. It almost seems like a bad joke we have to play that game up there with game day. It could get really ugly. 

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Pulled into drive way up 29-19. Ran into the house and from 730 to 815 I did not see 1 point scored for IU. I know half time was in there but at 35 -29. I called it a night

Good call 👍 that run was something I still can’t believe and I wish I would’ve just turned it off but it’s like watching something awful but you can’t look away. 

8 hours ago, iuthruandthru said:

I think the foul trouble of Juan and Romeo really hurt the back half of the first.  Archie was forced to play more bench players at the same time than he likely wanted.

This is where I disagree with college coaches is that I see no reason to bench a player in the first half because they have 2 fouls

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

The IU fans I know don't watch anymore and haven't for a couple weeks.  It will take a FF or a coaching change to get them interested again.  Nothing else will suffice.  This is going to be an interesting year or so to say the least.

Wee those people are not really fans then but just front runners who only are fans when thing are going good.  to say a FF or a coaching change after a year and a half shows that they are not really IU fans

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

This is where I disagree with college coaches is that I see no reason to bench a player in the first half because they have 2 fouls

The problem is on defense.  If they aren't going to guard anyone because they are worried about a 3rd foul, then they are generally more of a liability.  But I do agree, this team is so razor thin on depth right now, it forces you to gamble more.

16 minutes ago, Indiana8585 said:

Good call 👍 that run was something I still can’t believe and I wish I would’ve just turned it off but it’s like watching something awful but you can’t look away. 

This team has made it really easy to turn it off. I hate saying thinking and feeling that way.  Nothing at all enjoyable to see. Celebrity big brother more enjoyable to watch than IU basketball.  That's a sign of the apocalypse. 

17 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Post mortem on consecutive loss number 7, including the final box score and specialty stats, post-game from both coaches, highlights and more.  Read at your own risk.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/indiana-at-rutgers-the-report-card-2/

Continue to be in your class.  Still believe you are grading too high.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Wee those people are not really fans then but just front runners who only are fans when thing are going good.  to say a FF or a coaching change after a year and a half shows that they are not really IU fans

To be fair to any fans that are apathetic right now, it's not been a year and a half.  Save for an unexpected tournament run in '01-'02, it's been 25 years since the end of the glory years.  We have a whole generation of IU fans that don't have the 70's, 80's, and early 90's to fall back on when things get rough.

17 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Best wishes coming from the Rocky Mountains for you dad. Hoping all goes well. 

20 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Best wishes for your dad. Espn looks at it like having the michigan state game on. They will take pleasure though showing the hoosiers getting pounder on the game of the week. Embarrassing 

Call me fair weather but I refuse to watch a piss poor product.  idc elementary to the NBA I refuse to watch when guys put forth no effort.  Every team I have played on it coached had at least 1 guy who would get in the guys faces and say this run stoped now. He played scared emotionless basketball. 

It's not that I give up on them but its Groundhogs Day, and I know how it ends up. 

6 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

This team has made it really easy to turn it off. I hate saying thinking and feeling that way.  Nothing at all enjoyable to see. Celebrity big brother more enjoyable to watch than IU basketball.  That's a sign of the apocalypse. 

Haha 😆 that’s where I’m at too, I watch every game but at some point especially lately it’s just too frustrating and annoying to bother to continue and like you said I hate to even say that because that means it’s really bad. 

21 minutes ago, Indiana8585 said:

Prayers to your Dad this morning, I hope everything goes good. I love that about your aunt still got the fire burning for IU basketball! The beer always seems to go faster when we’re losing especially last night with that 22-0 run. It almost seems like a bad joke we have to play that game up there with game day. It could get really ugly. 

+1  Best wishes to your dad.

40 minutes ago, Indiana8585 said:

That’s great because I couldn’t care less about any team other than IU. 

I think that is a problem with some IU fans is that they are only a fan of a team and not college basketball as a whole. IU comes first but I can still enjoy pother teams and enjoy the game of basketball without IU as well.  When you watch a lot of other games it gives you the ability to judge and appreciate what other teams do.

Thanks for wishes on my Dad. Thyroid stuff is pretty routine so he doesn't seem overly concerned about it. My point though is here he is 8 hours before surgery texting about our game.

IU and IU hoops means so much to so many people and I just don't remember feeling this way. Even during the brink year. Or when we had a F4 team and fired Sampson. Or even during Crean's first years. I just can't remember the anger that most are feeling. 

16 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

To be fair to any fans that are apathetic right now, it's not been a year and a half.  Save for an unexpected tournament run in '01-'02, it's been 25 years since the end of the glory years.  We have a whole generation of IU fans that don't have the 70's, 80's, and early 90's to fall back on when things get rough.

Well this team and Archie has nothing to do with the last 20 years.  Saying the only thing that will bring them back is a FF or a coaching change is the definition of a fair weather fan.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think that is a problem with some IU fans is that they are only a fan of a team and not college basketball as a whole. IU comes first but I can still enjoy pother teams and enjoy the game of basketball without IU as well.  When you watch a lot of other games it gives you the ability to judge and appreciate what other teams do.

I watch and enjoy plenty of college basketball and played basketball but sorry if the only team I care about is the place I went to school. I feel no connection to any other team because I never attended that school and have grown up with IU basketball in my family for the past 100 years. Also I don’t see how any IU fan can find college basketball enjoyable when we are this bad. 

Just now, Indiana8585 said:

I watch and enjoy plenty of college basketball and played basketball but sorry if the only team I care about is the place I went to school. I feel no connection to any other team because I never attended that school and have grown up with IU basketball in my family for the past 100 years. Also I don’t see how any IU fan can find college basketball enjoyable when we are this bad. 

So have I and have been a fan for my whole life(48 years) but it is good to see other teams as well.  to me it is more enjoyable watching other teams play because you can just watch it as a fan of basketball.  When I watch IU I have to much vested in it and can't really enjoy the game and let the frustration get to me to much.

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Or, they are people who have been trying to hang on but after missing the tournament now 7 times out of the past 11 years and when faced with a team that clearly just does not seem to care, they probably figured that they can have an extra 4 hours or so a week to spend their time doing something else.

I really hate the whole, "well they are not really fans unless they suffer..." argument.  That is stupid.  IU basketball is something I am a fan of but it is a form of entertainment.  When it ceases to be entertaining, I owe no duty to give my time.

21 minutes ago, Indiana8585 said:

Haha 😆 that’s where I’m at too, I watch every game but at some point especially lately it’s just too frustrating and annoying to bother to continue and like you said I hate to even say that because that means it’s really bad. 

Exactly.  CTC 1st year I watched every second even though I expected us to lose. We were outmatched but at least we played hard.  Can anyone with a straight face tell me Rutgers is more talented than we are? With this teams body language I am not so sure we CAN win another game 

Just now, IU Scott said:

So have I and have been a fan for my whole life(48 years) but it is good to see other teams as well.  to me it is more enjoyable watching other teams play because you can just watch it as a fan of basketball.  When I watch IU I have to much vested in it and can't really enjoy the game and let the frustration get to me to much.

I agree with that last part a 100% I get so nervous still before a big game and then get so pissed or so happy depending on what happens. I guess for me I just enjoy the college game a lot more when we are doing better. 

Quite simply, the minimum a college team has to do to stay relevant in today's world is make the tournament.  Missing the tournament once is bad.  Missing it multiple years in a row and your program has a hole to climb out of.  This season is not going to be good for recruiting momentum, so it becomes even tougher to get where we want to be.  

Archived