Offical IUMB venting/complaint Thread

Indykev

11 minutes ago, IUB74 said:

Rico,  I’m not loosing sleep, I’m loosing hope.  Maybe I’m just an old man looking back at the glory days of IU basketball, but I am feeling less and less hopeful that they will ever return.  

Very true.

BTW....I pulled an IU today.  Got up early to go ice fishing with some friends.  Drilled a hole and bam...two nice bluegill.  I am off to a hot start.  I then proceeded to go scoreless for the next 6 hours.  LOL  And just like an IU game I just kept drinking to soothe my agony!

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, rico said:

Very true.

BTW....I pulled an IU today.  Got up early to go ice fishing with some friends.  Drilled a hole and bam...two nice bluegill.  I am off to a hot start.  I then proceeded to go scoreless for the next 6 hours.  LOL  And just like an IU game I just kept drinking to soothe my agony!

Need to catch a few more, but pan fried bluegill and a cold beer is a great combination.

14 minutes ago, rico said:

Very true.

Thankfully with modern technology I see that you were still able to keep up with your friends on here.  Keep it up.

MassiveUncomfortableGharial-max-1mb.gif

Well can it get tougher to be an IU fan!! We finished what 13 in the Big Ten in Football. Got beat second year in a row by Purdue to send them to a bowl and us packing! In 12 place in Basketball !!! Heading lower let’s be honest. When’s the last time we beat Purdue in basketball. What is it know 5 home games in a row we lost! 11 out of the last 12 games. I know let’s be patient. Do we have a choice! I could handle a down year. but wow we are going on what about 5 years of mediocre and below play in basketball and how many decades in Football. Sorry venting 

1 minute ago, Bob said:

Well can it get tougher to be an IU fan!! We finished what 13 in the Big Ten in Football. Got beat second year in a row by Purdue to send them to a bowl and us packing! In 12 place in Basketball !!! Heading lower let’s be honest. When’s the last time we beat Purdue in basketball. What is it know 5 home games in a row we lost! 11 out of the last 12 games. I know let’s be patient. Do we have a choice! I could handle a down year. but wow we are going on what about 5 years of mediocre and below play in basketball and how many decades in Football. Sorry venting 

No need to apologize, quite a few of us are right there with you.

This may be my lowest point as an IU fan... Home crowd chanting “**** you Haarms” the whole game, and then he hits the game winning shot to send us to our 11th loss in 12 games.  Program is just an absolute dumpster fire in every aspect.  We ran off the last coach because IU is a “blue blood program” and two conference championships/three Sweet 16s in six years wasn’t good enough.  Not even two years later, it’s not clear we upgraded, we’re years away from getting back to that level of success (if ever), and half the fanbase is already ready to run the new guy out.  

Indiana basketball is just a total joke, and the rest of the Big Ten/NCAA is laughing at us (rightfully so).  Hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel at this point.

I'm not gonna lie, as some others have said this is the least optimistic and enthusiastic I've been about IU basketball since I started paying attention in the early 70's.  I haven't given up, but it's just not enjoyable.  This is the first time that, while we stink, I don't see a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.  The only optimism I really have at this point is knowing that it could change - I have no reason to believe it will or won't.  I'm just getting tired of waiting til next year.

On 2/18/2019 at 12:39 AM, rico said:

Very true.

Recently I was preparing for bed.  I took off my socks and launched an eight footer at the hamper - missed by two feet.  Without thinking, I blurted out "Your Indiana Hooooosiers". 

11 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I'm not gonna lie, as some others have said this is the least optimistic and enthusiastic I've been about IU basketball since I started paying attention in the early 70's.  I haven't given up, but it's just not enjoyable.  This is the first time that, while we stink, I don't see a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.  The only optimism I really have at this point is knowing that it could change - I have no reason to believe it will or won't.  I'm just getting tired of waiting til next year.

Well said.  This is the worst I have felt in my entire life concerning the program.

I am with you Rico. I am 66 been a fan since I was 10. I can’t ever remember being this hopeless. So what can we do? I mean we recruited one of the best freshman classes in the Nation . Got Morgan back, was looking so forward to this year being fun. I must say I am starting to have doubts we can right this ship. 

22 minutes ago, Bob said:

I am with you Rico. I am 66 been a fan since I was 10. I can’t ever remember being this hopeless. So what can we do? I mean we recruited one of the best freshman classes in the Nation . Got Morgan back, was looking so forward to this year being fun. I must say I am starting to have doubts we can right this ship. 

I so badly want to disagree with you but I can. The pieces are not on this team and I am not sure I see them on next year's either. 

Almost every successful basketball team has shooters and a tough nosed kid or kids that will do what it takes. We dont have either. All top teams in our conference do. We have some great kids but what is missing is too valuable to overcome 

I get that this is a venting thread, but I think there's some recency bias going on here. I mean, you feel worse about the program now than you did during the Sampson fiasco, with kids rumored to not just be doing drugs but possibly selling them, not going to class, NCAA violations all over the place, and the vast majority of the team either getting kicked off by Dakich or quitting/transferring? C'mon now.

We've got a coach who's already done a better job recruiting the state than FCTC did in 9 years. There's clearly some sort of divide going on with this team that he can't solve, and that will likely fix itself when the season is over, either through transfers, graduations, and other departures. Archie's then going to have more of his players in place, to start building the culture that he wants. This is still the same coach that has this team at 3-0 in the conference, and ranked in the top 20, so it's not like he just forgot how to coach in the past 6 weeks. 

On 2/1/2019 at 1:39 PM, dbmhoosier said:

Sounds like Fred has been put on notice by the BOT.  We're making progress.

He hasn't forgot how to coach. He is a good recruiter and defensive coach. But just keeps coaching the same offense game after game. Very ugly offense, and most of the movement is pointless. Hold a team to 48 and loose geese just nothing good to say about that. He need to FORGET his offensive and find someone to do it for him!!! 

As a Reds fan I frequent the "RedsZone" where we talk baseball but there are other topics being discussed including IU basketball.  I came across this one yesterday.  And I will give credit to a member that goes by the handle of BillDoran......

Dayton Flyer fan (and IU alumnus) checking in. For the record, most Flyer fans were ready to move on from Archie (or at the very least were anxious) during his second season. He'd won 20 games his first year, then dropped to 17-14 in year two with no postseason tournament. The next two seasons resulted in Elite 8 and Sweet 16 runs (though the teams were hardly juggernauts). You could argue he underachieved in his final two years in Dayton though both resulted in NCAA tourney bids.

By the end, he was of course beloved. He got better with the publicity, he had one really solid recruiting class and landed big-time transfers, but he always struck me as a a very good Xs and Os coach. I imagine this strikes you as strange, but UD made a Sweet 16 run with six scholarship players and a talented walk-on. Nobody was taller than 6'6". He wasn't winning with athleticism. Judging by players' comments after the fact, I don't think he was doing it through relationships or motivation. I think he was out-scheming the opposition.

I mention all this irrelevant Dayton history to encourage you to hold out some hope. I've watched a few IU games this year, and they look like they're in disarray, but I would expect things to turn around next year. He never recruited well at Dayton. That doesn't seem to be the case in Bloomington. I think if he can get some buy-in, the Hoosiers will be much improved next year.

22 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

I get that this is a venting thread, but I think there's some recency bias going on here. I mean, you feel worse about the program now than you did during the Sampson fiasco, with kids rumored to not just be doing drugs but possibly selling them, not going to class, NCAA violations all over the place, and the vast majority of the team either getting kicked off by Dakich or quitting/transferring? C'mon now.

We've got a coach who's already done a better job recruiting the state than FCTC did in 9 years. There's clearly some sort of divide going on with this team that he can't solve, and that will likely fix itself when the season is over, either through transfers, graduations, and other departures. Archie's then going to have more of his players in place, to start building the culture that he wants. This is still the same coach that has this team at 3-0 in the conference, and ranked in the top 20, so it's not like he just forgot how to coach in the past 6 weeks. 

I would say most are somewhere in the middle.  I for 1 was so embarrassed by the kids we had on the floor under KS that not only did I stop watching in would not wear  my gear. We were a legit final four caliber team. My concerns with this group are very deep. I have not seen any of the changes one would expect to see. I might be way off base because I like a lot of what CAM has to offer but i am worried. Is he hamstrung by administration or afraid of back lash or losing a team that's been lost for 6 weeks now or afraid of hurting feelings or losing his job. IDK but nothing has changed.

What I liked about CAM at Dayton is he was tough hard nosed kids competed and gave it all. Where is that at? I think the state of the program as if today is in a worse place than it was at year 2 of CTC.

I would love to see a normal practice. I have seen 100's of Knights so throwing his out the top 3 coaches in practice that take no crap have no prima Donna's out there and ALL players are expected to leave it all out there in order from what I have seen firsthand are

Tom Izzo

Kelvin Sampson 

Bog Huggins

We have no toughness to us.

23 minutes ago, Cutter said:

He hasn't forgot how to coach. He is a good recruiter and defensive coach. But just keeps coaching the same offense game after game. Very ugly offense, and most of the movement is pointless. Hold a team to 48 and loose geese just nothing good to say about that. He need to FORGET his offensive and find someone to do it for him!!! 

Purdue has an offensive coordinator.  Even on the last offensive  play of the game it was not CMP drawing it up. Even with Hunter this offense would show the same results 

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Purdue has an offensive coordinator.  Even on the last offensive  play of the game it was not CMP drawing it up. Even with Hunter this offense would show the same results 

I agree , can't get far in the season or post season without a balance. All really good teams have it, I hope someday we will be a really good team consistently.  I do not know how much longer that will take. It has been 20 years so far!

19 minutes ago, rico said:

As a Reds fan I frequent the "RedsZone" where we talk baseball but there are other topics being discussed including IU basketball.  I came across this one yesterday.  And I will give credit to a member that goes by the handle of BillDoran......

Dayton Flyer fan (and IU alumnus) checking in. For the record, most Flyer fans were ready to move on from Archie (or at the very least were anxious) during his second season. He'd won 20 games his first year, then dropped to 17-14 in year two with no postseason tournament. The next two seasons resulted in Elite 8 and Sweet 16 runs (though the teams were hardly juggernauts). You could argue he underachieved in his final two years in Dayton though both resulted in NCAA tourney bids.

By the end, he was of course beloved. He got better with the publicity, he had one really solid recruiting class and landed big-time transfers, but he always struck me as a a very good Xs and Os coach. I imagine this strikes you as strange, but UD made a Sweet 16 run with six scholarship players and a talented walk-on. Nobody was taller than 6'6". He wasn't winning with athleticism. Judging by players' comments after the fact, I don't think he was doing it through relationships or motivation. I think he was out-scheming the opposition.

I mention all this irrelevant Dayton history to encourage you to hold out some hope. I've watched a few IU games this year, and they look like they're in disarray, but I would expect things to turn around next year. He never recruited well at Dayton. That doesn't seem to be the case in Bloomington. I think if he can get some buy-in, the Hoosiers will be much improved next year.

Archie showed he can put together a good team and have them play in a way we'd be very happy to see here.  It's true his teams played against a lower level of competition, but his Dayton team would be one that would have beaten our team the last 3 seasons.  It's very possible that we're too impatient, at least to some extent, but the thing that really works against CAM is that we (fans) have had our hopes dashed to many times that it's like Groundhog Day.  I think what dumbfounds us is that this current team would seem to us to have more talent than his UD teams, but plays nowhere near that well.  Maybe it's not that simple, though.

One bit of solace for me is that I'm pretty confident that Archie is going to be the coach for the next several seasons so he WILL have the time and opportunity to build the program.  Another things is that despite what I'd like to think I know, that Dayton fan knows more about CAM's capabilities than I possibly can.

57 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I so badly want to disagree with you but I can. The pieces are not on this team and I am not sure I see them on next year's either. 

Almost every successful basketball team has shooters and a tough nosed kid or kids that will do what it takes. We dont have either. All top teams in our conference do. We have some great kids but what is missing is too valuable to overcome 

You need to look at the big picture and not just the last 4 weeks or so.  We were 12-2 with wins against Marquette, UL and Butler and things were looking good then.  Also last year we were predicted to finish no better than 10th in the conference but ended up 6th so to me that is a sign that Archie can coach.  I still go back and look at some of the top coaches and how they started out there tenures and see that it can take some time to turn your program around.  Not saying Archie will ever be like Coach K or Izzo but they were given an opportunity to prove themselves and Archie needs the same from us.

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You need to look at the big picture and not just the last 4 weeks or so.  We were 12-2 with wins against Marquette, UL and Butler and things were looking good then.  Also last year we were predicted to finish no better than 10th in the conference but ended up 6th so to me that is a sign that Archie can coach.  I still go back and look at some of the top coaches and how they started out there tenures and see that it can take some time to turn your program around.  Not saying Archie will ever be like Coach K or Izzo but they were given an opportunity to prove themselves and Archie needs the same from us.

I am looking big picture.  How big do you want me to look? Those kids are not on this team nor do I see them yet for next year. Last year we finished 4 spots better and this year 6 to 10 spots worse. Is that improvement? 

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

I am looking big picture.  How big do you want me to look? Those kids are not on this team nor do I see them yet for next year. Last year we finished 4 spots better and this year 6 to 10 spots worse. Is that improvement? 

I think you are just looking at the last 4 or 5 weeks and you are looking to much with emotion instead of your head.  Yes the last few weeks has been horrible and no one is happy with it but I still feel like when Archie gets more of his type of players in we will see all game splayed with that type of effort.  To me we need to clean some house after the year and get players in here who wants to play for IU and go from there.  if we are still having these problems 2 years form now then yes it will be time to look at a change but it is to early to do now.

Archived