Hoosier Hysteria Thread

Indykev

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In our section someone had a sign about Romeo and the security guards had to take it away because it could be against NCAA rules.  Also does anyone know why Newkirk and Durham and Hartman was held out of the scrimmage. Newkirk and Hartman was in the shooting contest and looked fine.

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

In our section someone had a sign about Romeo and the security guards had to take it away because it could be against NCAA rules.  Also does anyone know why Newkirk and Durham and Hartman was held out of the scrimmage. Newkirk and Hartman was in the shooting contest and looked fine.

Precautionary.  Collin injured his ankle several days ago, and was wearing a boot for a short period of time. As far as Newkirk, all I heard was a practice injury of some type.

After HH, when everyone was gone.  Collin was with both Langford and Garland on the court, watching as those two were shooting hoops.

^^^ Agreed. Had family over last night so spent the last hour getting caught up on HH. For those that watched, any player comments? I liked the fact that Green led in scoring. With his D he looks to get plenty of PT this year as long as he keeps the turnovers down. 

i still say people overlook how highly touted CuJo was coming into college.  i have to think he could make quite a "jump" this year.  and last question (for now)... especially for those who watched live or on line - updated thoughts on what our starting 5 should be/will be to start the season? 

28 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Davis played.  Saw him in some of the video highlights linked earlier in the thread.  Have not seen a box.

Davis had a series in the second half where he scored six consecutive points from three different places on the court.  All well within the 3 point circle.  Seems Archie has been having De'Ron working on a 10 foot spot up.... one of the three in that series that he hit. 

Davis actually struggled a bit in the first half. Had several fouls and got called for a travel. Played a lot better in the second half, scored something like 8 or 9. Looks like he's adjusting to more of a role but showed in the second how effective he can be.

Green was a beast, and RoJo was killing it. From what I've seen (highlights, clips and feeds, was not there) it looked like Clifton M is going to be really good and is already looking stronger. For any there, would love to hear your thoughts on the players.

One thing that stood out to me in what I've been able to see in clips, a number of good cuts and screens, good use of the weak side, and the guard play, including CuJo, looks pretty damn good. Just a scrimmage, but from those hightlights, saw a lot to like.

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i still say people overlook how highly touted CuJo was coming into college.  i have to think he could make quite a "jump" this year.  and last question (for now)... especially for those who watched live or on line - updated thoughts on what our starting 5 should be/will be to start the season? 

I keep looking for evidence that CuJo has made the leap but he seems to always fade into the background. Why wasn't he a scoring leader last night? In the running for Golden Jersey? I'm guessing its just not his personality to be a leader. Maybe it comes as an upperclassman?

As for the starting lineup, I'm thinking Green, RoJo, Colin, Morgan and Davis. Let Newkirk come off the bench with his experience and be a scorer/ leader of the second unit.

Green looked really good, he’s a great shooter and can get to the rim.  But he played out of control at times as well.  He’ll have to learn how to reign it in a little bit.

Davis didn’t get the ball hardly at all in the first half, but turned it on in the second half and showed some great moves, including a little face-up game.  Physically, he does look totally different from last year.  Still had 4 fouls by the end of scrimmage though, so that will be something to keep an eye on.

RoJo looked like RoJo, led the red team in scoring, but he’s still not a point guard.  I think moving back to an off-ball role this season will help him return to form.

CuJo didn’t appear to be a much different player than he was last year.  Hit one or two threes, but otherwise didn’t have a big impact.

Moore started the scrimmage off missing two threes, but he had a couple nice dunks later on.  He’ll get minutes this year.

Juwan played a solid game, had some really nice finishes around the rim.  Didn’t really look like the primary offensive option Archie wants him to become though.

Nothing really stood out to me about McSwain, McRoberts, Smith, or Thompson, although I think McSwain looked a little more polished than he did last year.

And last but not least, PRILLER looked like he might actually be able to provide useful minutes this year.  He played really well in the first half, with something like 6 points, 2 rebounds, and 50 off-ball screens.

5 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I keep looking for evidence that CuJo has made the leap but he seems to always fade into the background. Why wasn't he a scoring leader last night? In the running for Golden Jersey? I'm guessing its just not his personality to be a leader. Maybe it comes as an upperclassman?

As for the starting lineup, I'm thinking Green, RoJo, Colin, Morgan and Davis. Let Newkirk come off the bench with his experience and be a scorer/ leader of the second unit.

At this point it looks pretty clear that Newkirk and Rob are the starting backcourt, experience, Newkirk as the true PG, Rob playing more off-ball but also a primary ball handler. Green is going to play a ton whether or not he starts, but don't think he's ready to lead the team from the point. Will be interesting to watch his role grow during the season, I think it will, as he continues to develop.

3 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

And last but not least, PRILLER looked like he might actually be able to provide useful minutes this year.  He played really well in the first half, with something like 6 points, 2 rebounds, and 50 off-ball screens.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Priller get some non garbage time minutes this year. He has size and experience. Has shown flashes in the past. He doesn't need to be a scorer. I can see him being a screener, a heady player, a little D, some rebounding, a basket here and there when the other team ignores him... Adequate for a backup big.

So after reading some of the comments on various sites about HH not being very flashy and the scrimmage being pretty sloppy.  Some feel it may have hurt us with the recruits. Romeo and Garland both being at other big time colleges festivities before ours. What do you guys think?  

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

At this point it looks pretty clear that Newkirk and Rob are the starting backcourt, experience, Newkirk as the true PG, Rob playing more off-ball but also a primary ball handler. Green is going to play a ton whether or not he starts, but don't think he's ready to lead the team from the point. Will be interesting to watch his role grow during the season, I think it will, as he continues to develop.

I fully expect Newkirk to start. Just saying that a case can be made for Green that, IF he can control the turnovers and have a good A/TO ratio, I like him starting and the potential of Green and RoJo together. 

Archived