Colson Montgomery

HoosierKix

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

So Colson is a liar? 

He's yet to be drafted. How can he say he's going pro when no one has drafted him (yet)? 

Was Scott Rolen a liar when he committed to Georgia to play basketball and ended up going pro in baseball?

I'm done with this conversation. If Colson plays at IU, terrific. Good for everyone. Great for IUBB. I dont see it happening, assuming he doesn't have a dip in production.

3 hours ago, ephul said:

He's yet to be drafted. How can he say he's going pro when no one has drafted him (yet)? 

Was Scott Rolen a liar when he committed to Georgia to play basketball and ended up going pro in baseball?

I'm done with this conversation. If Colson plays at IU, terrific. Good for everyone. Great for IUBB. I dont see it happening, assuming he doesn't have a dip in production.

What is so confusing that I've been told, as of now, he will be playing at IU. This wasnt a BS commitment. 

You're guessing. I have info. 

On 2/4/2020 at 9:03 AM, DC2345 said:

So @btownqb is clearly hearing this information from someone very close to the situation. Who or what kind of source exactly are you hearing your information from?

Summer of 2014. Wife and decided to rent a place at Eagle Pointe (near Bloomington/Lake Monroe) for the summer. I was always amazed at the star/fire power that existed between bar at clubhouse and bar called Fairfax before you enter Four Winds. Not just the Rolen family....but several, several others who call Monroe County home.

I bring this up only to say the following. There are some very, very dialed in folks that post on here. I'd believe specific information like this far times more than not. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
3 hours ago, HoosierJax said:

20201005_060220.jpg

I'd put that as being very unlikely. The only people I could see thinking that are locals at Southridge that don't understand the overlap issue. I can see why Tracy Smith, Michael Earley, and Bobby Hurley tried it. I could see a pitcher try and pull it off but a SS is a whole different story. 

Edited by DC2345

43 minutes ago, Indykev said:

There have been a few guys do both at IU.

I know Hillman did it, but I think the seasons were different back then and baseball started later.  Plus, Hillman was not a potential 1st round pick in the MLB draft either.  Just could not see Montgomery being on the basketball team during March when the baseball season has already ramped up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I know Hillman did it, but I think the seasons were different back then and baseball started later.  Plus, Hillman was not a potential 1st round pick in the MLB draft either.  Just could not see Montgomery being on the basketball team during March when the baseball season has already ramped up.

I DO NOT want Montgomery playing basketball at IU. And that tweet "could" play.... yeah I mean, he could? As in will he be good enough? Yeah he is easily good enough to be a walk on on the basketball team. Easily. 

He does not need to play though. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I DO NOT want Montgomery playing basketball at IU. And that tweet "could" play.... yeah I mean, he could? As in will he be good enough? Yeah he is easily good enough to be a walk on on the basketball team. Easily. 

He does not need to play though. 

I'm not positive and might be wrong but I don't think he could walk-on to the basketball team and then have scholarship for baseball. I think he would be required to have a basketball scholarship or no scholarship at all.

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

I'm not positive and might be wrong but I don't think he could walk-on to the basketball team and then have scholarship for baseball. I think he would be required to have a basketball scholarship or no scholarship at all.

I know of football scholarship athletes (Randle El) have played/walked on to basketball team before. I haven't heard anything like what you're saying before. The only thing that comes to mind is a player can't walk on to the basketball team and then receive an academic scholarship as a workaround to the scholarship limit if they were ever recruited to play bball.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, go_iu_bb said:

Might be wrong?

1 hour ago, cybergates said:

I know of football scholarship athletes (Randle El) have played/walked on to basketball team before. I haven't heard anything like what you're saying before. The only thing that comes to mind is a player can't walk on to the basketball team and then receive an academic scholarship as a workaround to the scholarship limit if they were ever recruited to play bball.

Athletes who play football always receive a football scholarship (or no scholarship) regardless of other sports they play.

Edited by go_iu_bb

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Why

To keep the number of scholarship players in sports like football and basketball the same for all schools. Can't get an extra scholarship player by giving them a full (or even partial) ride in rowing, for example. The single exception being a football player who also plays basketball, since that counts only against football.

Edited by go_iu_bb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

Athletes who play football always receive a football scholarship (or no scholarship) regardless of other sports they play.

So it counts against the football team but doesn't prevent them from playing basketball because its been done numerous times.

As for Colson, since its baseball I see what you're saying and that makes it sound like he can't play basketball unless he goes to school on his own dime or gets a basketball scholarship (not happening). Another dumb NCAA rule that works against kids instead of for them.