NBA Thread

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

NFL also has revenue sharing where other sports don't have 

Well nba and mlb revenue sharing is basically the cap penalties…because like I said the big markets share their revenue by over spending and paying out to the smaller markets or bad owners. At least with the nfl they can’t just spend whatever they want and then write a check to make up for it. Don’t get me wrong…good ownership can overcome it…great drafting and team building but they typically hace a small window to work with.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Well Celtics can afford to give max contracts to Brown and soon to Tatum and then go over the tax limit. I mean look at GS…I mean they’ve been way over the tax for several seasons. Even if the pacers had players good enough to pay their owner wouldn’t do it…he will stay under the cap because he doesn’t have the disposable income other billionaire owners have and the team doesn’t make enough money to offset the cap tax. Not all billionaire owners are the same…some have all their money tied up, some owners worth Is mostly from the team itself because they’ve owned it for a long time or it’s family owned and ownership is split between siblings etc…i agree bad owners are what sucks but if the league had a hard cap…like the nfl…there would be more parity (like the nfl)…but the nba doesn’t want that…they like their dynasties.

Herb Simon is worth $3.2B. The Celtics principal owner is worth $400M. 

I underatand not all of that $3.2B is liquid and not all of it is run through the Pacers, but Herb Simon can afford it, he just doesn't want too. 

The reason for not having a hard cap is why penalize the Warriors or Celtics for being well run franchises? Why make them lose players they've smartly drafted and developed because of a hard cap. 

A big reason for the soft cap is to help small market teams keep their players. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Herb Simon is worth $3.2B. The Celtics principal owner is worth $400M. 

I underatand not all of that $3.2B is liquid and not all of it is run through the Pacers, but Herb Simon can afford it, he just doesn't want too. 

The reason for not having a hard cap is why penalize the Warriors or Celtics for being well run franchises? Why make them lose players they've smartly drafted and developed because of a hard cap. 

A big reason for the soft cap is to help small market teams keep their players. 

Celtics were a bad example and I knew they don’t typically go over as a luxury tax paying team….although I see no way they avoid it in a couple years.

Small market teams suffer not because they wouldn’t be able to re-sign their players but because they can’t sign other teams players…._and that’s mostly because the players don’t want to play there, go there in free agency, or play in those markets because they will force a trade. The issue becomes once players get to a certain level they force their way out to where they want to go…but I guess that is every where. I still don’t see why a hard cap wouldn’t be the most equitable solution. All teams have the same amount to work with. Yes you might have difficult decisions to make down the road if you draft well but that’s a luxury to have. Well run franchises in nfl figure all that out…keep their best players and will reload around them. It probably wouldn’t change anything with the Pacers…but I think across the board we would seem more shakeup in the league. I hate it in baseball too…IMO it rewards bad ownership groups who won’t invest in their teams and just milk profits.

Edited by dgambill

11 hours ago, dgambill said:

Well Celtics can afford to give max contracts to Brown and soon to Tatum and then go over the tax limit. I mean look at GS…I mean they’ve been way over the tax for several seasons. Even if the pacers had players good enough to pay their owner wouldn’t do it…he will stay under the cap because he doesn’t have the disposable income other billionaire owners have and the team doesn’t make enough money to offset the cap tax. Not all billionaire owners are the same…some have all their money tied up, some owners worth Is mostly from the team itself because they’ve owned it for a long time or it’s family owned and ownership is split between siblings etc…i agree bad owners are what sucks but if the league had a hard cap…like the nfl…there would be more parity (like the nfl)…but the nba doesn’t want that…they like their dynasties.

It's not because the NBA “likes their dynasties”. You would have a minority of owners (if any) and none of the players supporting a hard cap. 

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, 5fouls said:

Haven't watched a Christmas Day game in years.  But, if JHS and TJD are getting minutes, might have to tune in this year.

To be honest, it is the one day of the year that I actually have been watching.  There tends to be nothing else on sports wise although Creighton played on X-mas last year.

9 hours ago, rico said:

To be honest, it is the one day of the year that I actually have been watching.  There tends to be nothing else on sports wise although Creighton played on X-mas last year.

NFL will have a triple header this year. The NFL will crush the nba. Nobody will be watching.

55 minutes ago, dgambill said:

True..him and @BGleas but the nfl is not messing around anymore…gone are the days caring about college football, nba, or any others leagues…it’s all about the Benjamin’s.

Why do you think I would watch the NBA because I don't watch it unless it is the Pacers. After the college season I don't watch the Pacers that often. Give me college basketball and the NFL

12 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Why do you think I would watch the NBA because I don't watch it unless it is the Pacers. After the college season I don't watch the Pacers that often. Give me college basketball and the NFL

As much as you comment in the nba thread I figured you were an expert.

• Haha 2

I'm a biased Celtics fan, and this tweet is from a Heat fan account so massive bias there, but this might be one of the worst takes I've seen on the internet in awhile. 

I personally think Wade is a great player and obviously a HOF'er but I also think he's one of the more overrated players historically. 

I've seen people try and call him a top 3 SG of all-time and IMO thats ridiculous. 

Without even digging too deep he's not better than Russell, Bird or KG. I think winning a league MVP is a clear separator in these types of debates. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BGleas said:

I'm a biased Celtics fan, and this tweet is from a Heat fan account so massive bias there, but this might be one of the worst takes I've seen on the internet in awhile. 

I personally think Wade is a great player and obviously a HOF'er but I also think he's one of the more overrated players historically. 

I've seen people try and call him a top 3 SG of all-time and IMO thats ridiculous. 

Without even digging too deep he's not better than Russell, Bird or KG. I think winning a league MVP is a clear separator in these types of debates. 

I thought the beef was Wade vs Pierce. Which I’m not sure is close in that I think Wade is the clear winner…more accomplished and at his peak was the better player. However comparing him to some other Celtic greats…yeah I can’t get behind that.

21 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I thought the beef was Wade vs Pierce. Which I’m not sure is close in that I think Wade is the clear winner…more accomplished and at his peak was the better player. However comparing him to some other Celtic greats…yeah I can’t get behind that.

I think Wade is much closer to Pierce then he is to Russell, Bird, KG or even Havlicek. 

Pierce was damn good, and Wade had the luxury of playing in the Heat Culture for Pat Riley and with tail-end prime Shaq and prime LeBron and Bosh. 

I'll give you Wade was better, but I think it's much closer than many admit. 

I think if you put Pierce in Wade's shoes that he has at least as many rings. People also forget that Pierce took a team that started Kenny Anderson, Eric Williams and Tony Battie within 2 games of the Finals in 2002. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think Wade is much closer to Pierce then he is to Russell, Bird, KG or even Havlicek. 

Pierce was damn good, and Wade had the luxury of playing in the Heat Culture for Pat Riley and with tail-end prime Shaq and prime LeBron and Bosh. 

I'll give you Wade was better, but I think it's much closer than many admit. 

I think if you put Pierce in Wade's shoes that he has at least as many rings. People also forget that Pierce took a team that started Kenny Anderson, Eric Williams and Tony Battie within 2 games of the Finals in 2002. 

I agree Wade isn’t close to those guys…so no doubt he is closer to Pierce…I would need to look into all the numbers but off the top of my head everything seems to stack up in Wades favor. Scoring titles, defensive all nba, all nba, championships, playoff avgs. I agree Paul would probably been just as successful in Miami, but he only won a title (1) once Allen and Garnett showed up…plus Rondo. He wasn’t playing with chopped liver. The first title with Shaq I mean Wade might have had the greatest 4 game stretch of anyone in a finals…it was impressive from what I remember. He carried Shaq who looked gassed. That said with Lebron well…clearly he had the better teammates…a top 5 player in the history with James. 

I guess all this has started with whatever bad blood is still between those two..but I’m not sure why these guys all these years later are still bickering. Must be trying to promote a Netflix special that is on the way lol.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

I agree Wade isn’t close to those guys…so no doubt he is closer to Pierce…I would need to look into all the numbers but off the top of my head everything seems to stack up in Wades favor. Scoring titles, defensive all nba, all nba, championships, playoff avgs. I agree Paul would probably been just as successful in Miami, but he only won a title (1) once Allen and Garnett showed up…plus Rondo. He wasn’t playing with chopped liver. The first title with Shaq I mean Wade might have had the greatest 4 game stretch of anyone in a finals…it was impressive from what I remember. He carried Shaq who looked gassed. That said with Lebron well…clearly he had the better teammates…a top 5 player in the history with James. 

I guess all this has started with whatever bad blood is still between those two..but I’m not sure why these guys all these years later are still bickering. Must be trying to promote a Netflix special that is on the way lol.

Like I said, Wade was better, I'm not arguing against that. I just think it's much closer than people think.

Pierce did only have 1 title, but circumstances played a big part in that. The Celtics were clearly the best team in 08-09 following their first title until KG blew out his knee. 

The next year they carried a one-legged KG to the Finals and were up 3-2 when Perkins blew his ACL in Game 6. People forget how hobbled KG was that year, and it took Artest hitting something like 3 4th quarter 3's in Game 7 for LA to come back and win that game. 

I think the Celtics win 2 titles minimum if KG doesn't get hurt. 

I'd also argue Pierce had more playoff success without KG and Allen than Wade had without Shaq or LeBron/Bosh. 

One other note, Wade was fantastic in the 2006 Finals, but with that said IMO other than the 2002 WCF (Kings), I view that series as the most rigged series in recent NBA history. Wade shot an absolute absurd number of free throws in that series. 

But again, Wade had the better career. I just think he gets slightly overrated. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Like I said, Wade was better, I'm not arguing against that. I just think it's much closer than people think.

Pierce did only have 1 title, but circumstances played a big part in that. The Celtics were clearly the best team in 08-09 following their first title until KG blew out his knee. 

The next year they carried a one-legged KG to the Finals and were up 3-2 when Perkins blew his ACL in Game 6. People forget how hobbled KG was that year, and it took Artest hitting something like 3 4th quarter 3's in Game 7 for LA to come back and win that game. 

I think the Celtics win 2 titles minimum if KG doesn't get hurt. 

I'd also argue Pierce had more playoff success without KG and Allen than Wade had without Shaq or LeBron/Bosh. 

One other note, Wade was fantastic in the 2006 Finals, but with that said IMO other than the 2002 WCF (Kings), I view that series as the most rigged series in recent NBA history. Wade shot an absolute absurd number of free throws in that series. 

But again, Wade had the better career. I just think he gets slightly overrated. 

All good points…I’d say both a deserving HOFers…but neither in any greatest of all time discussions…so I guess if you could only have one to start a team with which would you take?

Also what’s up with these two? Seems so petty for two all time greats to go down this road. Maybe the Pippen syndrome is contagious lol.

Edited by dgambill

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

How would Harden know what builds championships…he has never played on a championship team. Also maybe he wouldn’t be so fat if he wasn’t eating all that pizza. If pizza is what matters to you and that’s what you are thinking about…well that ain’t a champion….maybe he should go sign in Italy…could have it built right into his contract…all the pizza he wants…and over there he probably could win a championship.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bronkonagurski said:

Pizza is serious business how can I trust someone who promises me pizza every Friday and fails to deliver? That is a total travesty! :coffee:

Must have been some damn good pizza to upset him that much. 

Used to be my dream job to be a GM/Owner of a sports franchise but to listen to these winey spoiled, entitled athletes I just don’t think I would be good at it. I don’t think anyone would play for me lol.

• Haha 1