NBA Thread

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Not to worry, as I rarely follow either of the NBA threads.  I may be alone , but..... Just not my cup of tea. Following the NBA.... that it is.  So thanks for letting us know about Yogi.

I did watch a game of Yogi's a couple of years back when he came to Denver.  And none of his teammates were willing to share the ball with him.  Too bad he said no to Mark Cuban... but sounding like it is a better deal, money wise for Yogi. 

Yeah, I checked out of the NBA about the time Jordan went the way of the dodo. I can relate. Seeing our guys succeed at the next level makes me happy, even still. 

I’m just glad this kid isn’t settling. He’s going after as much success as he can.

16 hours ago, PoHoosier said:

By all indications, he thought he was going to be there longer and desired it to be so.  Unfortunately, it didn't work out that way.

If he bought it outright, he has equity minus various fees and taxes without paying interest.  It's not a total loss.

Hopefully Sacramento works out.

Oh no doubt having equity in a house is a good thing just there are many situations renting etc is a better incestement. No taxes, often don’t pay utilities, less expenses for maintenance, no interest on a loan, cheaper insurance, and not tied to a property when you don’t how long you will be in a given area. If you put those savings into investments they could likely give you a better return then the equity of the house unless you are fortunate to buy a hot property. 

As for Yogi this I think will be a better opportunity for him. He has had a very productive run in Dallas and I think he will make a nice career back up no matter where he goes. Great accomplishment for a kid with limited size and athleticism.

Love the way Vic stepped it up and built from his diet to practice routine to his game, turning himself into an all star.

He and the P's snuck up on teams last year -- not taking away anything from what Vic or the P's did, but the question this year, is whether Vic and the P's can continue from where they left off and improve into that top 3-4 position in the East. Very good moves this summer, imo, they are well positioned, but they're not going to surprise anyone this season. Last season they were predicted much lower, this year the teams will be ready on scouting and game planning. Very interested to see how they respond.

16 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Love the way Vic stepped it up and built from his diet to practice routine to his game, turning himself into an all star.

He and the P's snuck up on teams last year -- not taking away anything from what Vic or the P's did, but the question this year, is whether Vic and the P's can continue from where they left off and improve into that top 3-4 position in the East. Very good moves this summer, imo, they are well positioned, but they're not going to surprise anyone this season. Last season they were predicted much lower, this year the teams will be ready on scouting and game planning. Very interested to see how they respond.

I hope the Pacers can build on last year and to me it looks like the roster has been upgraded.  If you look at who left compared to what came in I think they are better.

Evans over Stephenson

Holiday over Young

McDermott over Robinson

O'Quinn over Jefferson

50 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I hope the Pacers can build on last year and to me it looks like the roster has been upgraded.  If you look at who left compared to what came in I think they are better.

Evans over Stephenson

Holiday over Young

McDermott over Robinson

O'Quinn over Jefferson

I'm not sure about McDermott over Robinson, and Holiday is still unproved, but I do think they've improved and T Evans should definitely help. I frankly think they can be better than Philly, which if anything has had an underwhelming summer and lost a couple of key players. However, that's a team still stacked on talent, that also will likely improve. Teams will be gunning for the P's this year, and there will be lots of game planning against Vic. Looking forward to seeing how they show.

3 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I'm not sure about McDermott over Robinson, and Holiday is still unproved, but I do think they've improved and T Evans should definitely help. I frankly think they can be better than Philly, which if anything has had an underwhelming summer and lost a couple of key players. However, that's a team still stacked on talent, that also will likely improve. Teams will be gunning for the P's this year, and there will be lots of game planning against Vic. Looking forward to seeing how they show.

I don't understand how you can question McDermott or Holiday over their predecessor? Robinson barely played because he was hurt and Joe Young barely played because he sucked. There's no way either of those are downgrades; at worst they would be neutral for guys who contributed nothing but that seems unlikely. 

19 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't understand how you can question McDermott or Holiday over their predecessor? Robinson barely played because he was hurt and Joe Young barely played because he sucked. There's no way either of those are downgrades; at worst they would be neutral for guys who contributed nothing but that seems unlikely. 

The thing about McD is he simply fits.. his shooting is huge for guys like Vic and Sabonis to operate. Holiday had some TO problems in the summer, but he looked so solid in those games. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

The thing about McD is he simply fits.. his shooting is huge for guys like Vic and Sabonis to operate. Holiday had some TO problems in the summer, but he looked so solid in those games. 

Even if he doesn't contribute this year, he is a third string point guard. 

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Right. Shot 40% from 3 in college. I'm loving the pick... all league defense as well. 

Yeah I love it too. I dont think he is athletic enough to be elite, but we dont need that playing next to Dipo. He should be an above average starter for a long time in a couple years, and that's perfect. 

16 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

G Rob is a good player, he's been injured. He's shown the "flashes" of being really solid. McD is complete crap on D. He can definitely shoot, but come on now, exactly what has McDermott done that makes you salivate? Btw, in his NBA career, playing on 4 teams, he's started a total 13 games. People had pretty high expectations and regard for G Rob, whose career 3P% is almost identical, 39.3 to McDermott's 39.8, and 2P% is better, .481 to .476.

Holiday is a rookie, and that's all I said, he's unproven, which, obviously, he is. I don't think Young "sucks," but sure, things look promising with Holiday, towards the end of the first round, and looks like a  steal in the draft. 

33 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

G Rob is a good player, he's been injured. He's shown the "flashes" of being really solid. McD is complete crap on D. He can definitely shoot, but come on now, exactly what has McDermott done that makes you salivate? Btw, in his NBA career, playing on 4 teams, he's started a total 13 games. People had pretty high expectations and regard for G Rob, whose career 3P% is almost identical, 39.3 to McDermott's 39.8, and 2P% is better, .481 to .476.

Holiday is a rookie, and that's all I said, he's unproven, which, obviously, he is. I don't think Young "sucks," but sure, things look promising with Holiday, towards the end of the first round, and looks like a  steal in the draft. 

'Good' players that are injured all the time have very little value if they can't get on the floor.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Do you know he wasn't going to be healthy going into this season? 

You guys are so defensive when it comes to the Pacers, lol.

This is a completely irrelevant point. The discussion is rather or not the Pacers got better from this year to last year, not rather or not a healthy Glenn Robinson is better than Doug McDermott. 

Robinson hardly played last year, so it doesn't take much to be an upgrade over him. I'm sure a healthy Robinson is also an upgrade over an injured Robinson.

And yes, Holiday is a rookie and a third string point guard. He's clearly better than Joe Young, though. The question is rather or not Holiday over Joe Young is a wash because of how little he plays or if it is a net gain. There's really no situation where McDermott or Holiday produce less for this team than what the two they replace produced because those two produced nothing. 

Regarding the 3P shooting: McDermott is a 40.3% shooter in 2.7 3PA/game compared to Robinson who is 38.1% on 1.3 3PA/game. That is to say nothing of McDermott shooting. McDermott is also the better 2P shooter despite the false stats you posted. There is really no comparison between those two as far as shooting prowess goes. 

Edited by KoB2011
Addition:
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

This is a completely irrelevant point. The discussion is rather or not the Pacers got better from this year to last year, not rather or not a healthy Glenn Robinson is better than Doug McDermott. 

Robinson hardly played last year, so it doesn't take much to be an upgrade over him. I'm sure a healthy Robinson is also an upgrade over an injured Robinson.

And yes, Holiday is a rookie and a third string point guard. He's clearly better than Joe Young, though. The question is rather or not Holiday over Joe Young is a wash because of how little he plays or if it is a net gain. There's really no situation where McDermott or Holiday produce less for this team than what the two they replace produced because those two produced nothing. 

Regarding the 3P shooting: McDermott is a 40.3% shooter in 2.7 3PA/game compared to Robinson who is 38.1% on 1.3 3PA/game. That is to say nothing of McDermott shooting. McDermott is also the better 2P shooter despite the false stats you posted. There is really no comparison between those two as far as shooting prowess goes. 

What? How is whether or not G Rob is ready to play this year irrelevant?? Of course it's relevant. If he's ready to play  that's obviously relevant to whether or not McD is an upgrade, as in now. If he's not, and is still not healthy, then that would support it being an upgrade. Why are you so defensive about this? What's the big deal? You're right on the career 3-point percentages, but I was looking at their respective 3-year stints, G Rob with the Pacers, and McD with Chicago. McD is a really good 3-point shooter and probably better, but they're awfully close, and McD is complete garbage on D and really hasn't done squate in the NBA. He could work out really well with the P's, but it's not like that's clear.

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

What? How is whether or not G Rob is ready to play this year irrelevant?? Of course it's relevant. If he's ready to play  that's obviously relevant to whether or not McD is an upgrade, as in now. If he's not, and is still not healthy, then that would support it being an upgrade. Why are you so defensive about this? What's the big deal? You're right on the career 3-point percentages, but I was looking at their respective 3-year stints, G Rob with the Pacers, and McD with Chicago. McD is a really good 3-point shooter and probably better, but they're awfully close, and McD is complete garbage on D and really hasn't done squate in the NBA. He could work out really well with the P's, but it's not like that's clear.

I'd say you're more defensive on this than me, but okay. Agree to disagree there. 

GRob playing this year has nothing to do with rather or not McDermott is an upgrade over what GRob brought to the table last year. We are comparing last years team to this years team, not last years team to what this years team would have been if we had GRob instead of McDermott. 

You weren't looking at the 3-year stints, you just looked at the wrong thing and posted it. It happens, we make mistakes and look at the wrong lines sometimes, but let's call it a mistake like it was and not pretend you intentionally gave those numbers. You said career very clearly. 

31 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I'd say you're more defensive on this than me, but okay. Agree to disagree there. 

GRob playing this year has nothing to do with rather or not McDermott is an upgrade over what GRob brought to the table last year. We are comparing last years team to this years team, not last years team to what this years team would have been if we had GRob instead of McDermott. 

You weren't looking at the 3-year stints, you just looked at the wrong thing and posted it. It happens, we make mistakes and look at the wrong lines sometimes, but let's call it a mistake like it was and not pretend you intentionally gave those numbers. You said career very clearly. 

Oh man I just do not follow your logic. If you're looking at whether a player is an upgrade, you don't just assume the guy he's replacing won't play. Either G Rob is healthy or he isn't, that is obviously relevant. But this is all so much ado about nothing, I really don't get your ire. Count me out of this! Hopefully McD will be the GOAT, the greatest player ever, whoohoo!

21 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Oh man I just do not follow your logic. If you're looking at whether a player is an upgrade, you don't just assume the guy he's replacing won't play. Either G Rob is healthy or he isn't, that is obviously relevant. But this is all so much ado about nothing, I really don't get your ire. Count me out of this! Hopefully McD will be the GOAT, the greatest player ever, whoohoo!

What GRob does going forward is irrelevant. You do understand we are talking about what GRob gave us last year compared to what McDermott will give us going forward and the impact it has on the team? GRob's future production is not relevant to rather or not the team got better year over year by adding McDermott. We could have a separate discussion about rather or not we improved as much by adding McDermott as we would have if GRob had played and been healthy, but that's purely speculation either way. 

GRob last year was a net nothing. If McDermott is any type of positive this year then the team got better year over year. 

4 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Probably defensive just like you are when anyone tries to saying anything negative about PG

• Haha 2