NBA Thread

9 minutes ago, Indykev said:

NBA and the players agree on a new 7 year contract. They tabled lowering the age limit. One and done still with us for 7 more years.

WTH?  I though it was a foregone conclusion that they would do away with the age limit?

• Sad 1

Pacers are now tied with Orlando for the 6th worst record in the NBA. Maybe the lottery balls will favor us this summer? 🤷‍♂️

I went to the Pacers-Knicks game on Wednesday to get my Pacers/IU hat. Pretty cool. Although the security getting into the stadium reminds me of TSA nowadays. I had to take off my belt to pass the metal detector test, never had that happen at any arena before. Meh.

4 hours ago, rico said:

I don’t see him ever being a 🏆 winner.  But then again Kyrie helped LeBron.  But geeezz what a disaster.   I have kept an eye on Dallas since I was a kid.  1st nba game i ever went to was in Dallas with my grandpa, I was probably 12. Half my family is TX.  Plus Cuban and I want them to win the west.  Dirk is a legend.  Trade or let Kyrie walk?  Shoot, see if Orlando or oKC will give you 7 1st rounders for Luka.  

Luka is just fine. Everything has been so easy for him but now he has to transition from being a wonder kid to a man and handle being face of the franchise.   My only complaint is his incessant whining on the court.  IMO, the Mavs are in a far better assuming KI is resigned than they were going into the last 2 summers. No confidence in the front office though to build around them. 

Cuban is terrible.  I'm sure he signs off and gives direction. He always had Donnie and RC to bail him out after his ideas chasing big names doesn't work.   Since RC and donnie left, he gave THJ a 4 year deal rather than go after maybe DeRozan so the front office posse could yuck it up in the bars in slovenia to celebrate Luka's big extension.  I like THJ but cmon.     He should of traded Brunson to the Knicks at the trade deadline or in a SnT.  His feeling were hurt and he wouldn't even talk to the Knicks.  You could see the Brunson to Knicks coming for a year before it happened. The Knicks had players that would helped the Mavs this year. Losing Brunson the player was not near as bad as not getting any return.  Same is about to happen with C Wood.  I guess Cuban is trying to keep up with the Jones's. lol

Pacers have 3 picks between 25 and 35.  So Pacer fans, would you deal them for the 10th pick in the draft?  

3 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

Luka is just fine. Everything has been so easy for him but now he has to transition from being a wonder kid to a man and handle being face of the franchise.   My only complaint is his incessant whining on the court.  IMO, the Mavs are in a far better assuming KI is resigned than they were going into the last 2 summers. No confidence in the front office though to build around them. 

Cuban is terrible.  I'm sure he signs off and gives direction. He always had Donnie and RC to bail him out after his ideas chasing big names doesn't work.   Since RC and donnie left, he gave THJ a 4 year deal rather than go after maybe DeRozan so the front office posse could yuck it up in the bars in slovenia to celebrate Luka's big extension.  I like THJ but cmon.     He should of traded Brunson to the Knicks at the trade deadline or in a SnT.  His feeling were hurt and he wouldn't even talk to the Knicks.  You could see the Brunson to Knicks coming for a year before it happened. The Knicks had players that would helped the Mavs this year. Losing Brunson the player was not near as bad as not getting any return.  Same is about to happen with C Wood.  I guess Cuban is trying to keep up with the Jones's. lol

Pacers have 3 picks between 25 and 35.  So Pacer fans, would you deal them for the 10th pick in the draft?  

I would trade those 3 for the 10 but would the other team do it. Why go from 10 all the way down for those late picks.

1 hour ago, ATX_sig said:

Absolutely I would. We have a young nucleus of players so quality over quantity right now. Two top 10 picks would be ideal to pair with Halliburton, Mathurin, Nembhard, and company. I would certainly deal Heild and if the right offer for Turner or Duarte came along him too. Two rolls of the dice in the lottery with this deep group and I have to hope one turns into another all star caliber and the other a solid starter.

Edited by dgambill

52 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would trade those 3 for the 10 but would the other team do it. Why go from 10 all the way down for those late picks.

I doubt the 3 would get you to 10 but I could see pairing them with say Heild or Turner doing it. 10 is about where this draft really turns muddy and separates from the top imo. Not that guys later can’t become contributors but on a team like Dallas…you are so top heavy salary wise and you won’t own your pick next year you may need to take multiple guys that can contribute and fill your bench with affordable young talent. 

12 hours ago, SawatchHoosier said:

LMAO

I don't follow NBA as closely as others but if I'm the GM of the Pelicans I have a sit down with Zion and basically say this. We will help you in any way possible. Whatever you need....but you've missed 62% of your games as a pro and I've got a responsibility to this franchise and not just you. 

This includes looking for viable trade partners this offseason. Just smh....doing windmills pregame but can't lace them up? 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dgambill said:

I doubt the 3 would get you to 10 but I could see pairing them with say Heild or Turner doing it. 10 is about where this draft really turns muddy and separates from the top imo. Not that guys later can’t become contributors but on a team like Dallas…you are so top heavy salary wise and you won’t own your pick next year you may need to take multiple guys that can contribute and fill your bench with affordable young talent. 

I really like Walker or Whitmore for Mavs at 10. More realistically it could be Hendricks who i suspect could need a year.  I think if could get TJD, Jaquez and one young center or a guy like Dillon Mitchell from Texas then the trade makes a lot of sense.  

I was actually thinking all 3 would to big a price to pay for Pacers. I don't think the Mavs could get to the phone quick enough to take all 3 and Turner for 10 and whatever the salary match is (Maxi and Bullock or Hardaway). The Pacers have a ton of wings so Maxi seems only fit for rotation especially if Tunrer goes. 

Actually think Mavs would trade just 10 and salary for Turner.

Edited by ATX_sig
add more content
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

I really like Walker or Whitmore for Mavs at 10. More realistically it could be Hendricks who i suspect could need a year.  I think if could get TJD, Jaquez and one young center or a guy like Dillon Mitchell from Texas then the trade makes a lot of sense.  

I was actually thinking all 3 would to big a price to pay for Pacers. I don't think the Mavs could get to the phone quick enough to take all 3 and Turner for 10 and whatever the salary match is (Maxi and Bullock or Hardaway). The Pacers have a ton of wings so Maxi seems only fit for rotation especially if Tunrer goes. 

Turner won't be traded after signing the extension. They like how he works with Hailiburton and improved his play this year. Also the Pacers greatest needs are a wing who can play defense and shoot the 3. They also need a stretch 4

Edited by IU Scott

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Turner won't be traded after signing the extension. They like how he works with Hailiburton and improved his play this year. Also the Pacers greatest needs are a wing who can play defense and shoot the 3. They also need a stretch 4

That may be but they structured his deal to be trade friendly and in the NBA don't believe anything that front offices throw out there.    The extension could also be in place to not lose him for nothing as a FA and keep a trade asset they couldn't find a deal for him they liked before TDL.   I tend to think they want to and will keep him but the extension means little on whether he would be traded or not. They wanted Ayton so a deal to Suns might make a lot more sense in the off season than a top 10 pick. I'm pretty certain Mavs will trade pick if they hold on to it after the lottery. 

I remember the Draymond Green draft and the Mavs traded down for 3 picks in similar deal.  Passed on Green 3 times.  Got 2 busts and Crowder who turned out OK. lol

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I don't follow NBA as closely as others but if I'm the GM of the Pelicans I have a sit down with Zion and basically say this. We will help you in any way possible. Whatever you need....but you've missed 62% of your games as a pro and I've got a responsibility to this franchise and not just you. 

This includes looking for viable trade partners this offseason. Just smh....doing windmills pregame but can't lace them up? 

Zion has been taking a beating on the sports talk radio circuit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ATX_sig said:

That may be but they structured his deal to be trade friendly and in the NBA don't believe anything that front offices throw out there.    The extension could also be in place to not lose him for nothing as a FA and keep a trade asset they couldn't find a deal for him they liked before TDL.   I tend to think they want to and will keep him but the extension means little on whether he would be traded or not. They wanted Ayton so a deal to Suns might make a lot more sense in the off season than a top 10 pick. I'm pretty certain Mavs will trade pick if they hold on to it after the lottery. 

I remember the Draymond Green draft and the Mavs traded down for 3 picks in similar deal.  Passed on Green 3 times.  Got 2 busts and Crowder who turned out OK. lol

Yep very trade friendly. Purposely front loaded it. Essentially he and Heild also fits a max slot as well. He played well so I think the intention is to run him back but they will listen to trades for sure. They also might let the Pacers take Hardaways contract off their hands too…maybe in a Heild swap or just eat salary along with the picks. Lots of ways to look at it and Carlisle knows the front office obviously lol. I think there are good pieces for each to make a trade work.

Edited by dgambill

On 4/14/2023 at 11:46 AM, ATX_sig said:

Mavs would hopefully get laughed out of the room for wanting 3 picks and Turner with a great contract for pick 10. 

On 4/16/2023 at 9:26 PM, SawatchHoosier said:

While we're at it can refs start calling moving screens again?

I wish they would call carrying the ball. It’s impossible to keep anyone in front of you when these guys constantly take their hand under the ball and pick it up then dribble it again. It would slow down all this one on on stuff and we might see some real defense and in return better ball movement instead of watching big slow oafs switched off on guards trying to guard them at the 3pt line. It’s utterly stupid and boring to watch.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I wish they would call carrying the ball. It’s impossible to keep anyone in front of you when these guys constantly take their hand under the ball and pick it up then dribble it again. It would slow down all this one on on stuff and we might see some real defense and in return better ball movement instead of watching big slow oafs switched off on guards trying to guard them at the 3pt line. It’s utterly stupid and boring to watch.

I agree 100%. I don't necessarily want to see NBA basketball like 2000s where teams were winning games 80-77 but I would like to see the rules changed to make defenses have a better opportunity to impact games.

• Like 1