NBA Thread

17 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yep but the Celtics won second chance points and I believe they won pts off turnovers (or evened it out at least) so it’s what you do with those opportunities but yes…Miami squandered their opportunities. You can see Bostons length gave them fits. I’m not minimizing 3pt shooting but I think if Boston doesn’t shoot themselves in their foot with a bunch of careless turnovers and attacks the basket even if Miami out shoots them from 3 they should still win. If Boston is disciplined (big if) they are the best team in the NBA. 

Yeah, the general point here is that Boston has numerous ways they can beat the Heat, Miami needs a ton to go right to beat Boston. 

I'm focusing on 3pt shooting because it's the glaringly obvious one from last night because the Celtics were missing completely wide open 3's and they missed them worse than they have all season. 

Just make a few and shoot normal bad, not season high bad, and that game isn't even close. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, the general point here is that Boston has numerous ways they can beat the Heat, Miami needs a ton to go right to beat Boston. 

I'm focusing on 3pt shooting because it's the glaringly obvious one from last night because the Celtics were missing completely wide open 3's and they missed them worse than they have all season. 

Just make a few and shoot normal Nad, not season high bad, and that game isn't even close. 

Yeah…it’s why Boston has been a clear favorite every game…they can survive a bad 3pt shooting night (as long as they aren’t shooting like 40 of them while missing) as long as they do the other things well. Mostly if I was them I just wouldn’t put my playoffs on the line living and dying by the 3. Continue to push the pace and get to the rim with Brown and Tatum…Miami doesn’t hsce the length to defend them. They should be able to live at the free throw line and more than offset any 3pt advantage. We will see…it’s why they play the games…obviously on paper we wouldn’t have seen them lose 3 in a row each way.

Completely aware that I complain about officiating a lot and probably would have been doing the same thing, but definitely getting a laugh out of Heat Twitter spending the last 20 hours saying they got screwed by the refs. The L2M report came out and the NBA said the only wrong calls actually went against the Celtics, not the Heat. 

51 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Completely aware that I complain about officiating a lot and probably would have been doing the same thing, but definitely getting a laugh out of Heat Twitter spending the last 20 hours saying they got screwed by the refs. The L2M report came out and the NBA said the only wrong calls actually went against the Celtics, not the Heat. 

I thought it was pretty clear the last two minutes the Heat got the better of the calls. Momentum had swung their way and it felt like the officials got caught up in that. There were plenty of calls both way throughout the game. Imo it was a pretty fairly evenly in that both teams had some missed calls. I don’t think anyone has much to complain about…the game was won and lost because of mistakes on both sides. Boston got away and made some boneheaded mistakes at the end…Miami didn’t play to the whistle…got caught ball watching. 

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I thought it was pretty clear the last two minutes the Heat got the better of the calls. Momentum had swung their way and it felt like the officials got caught up in that. There were plenty of calls both way throughout the game. Imo it was a pretty fairly evenly in that both teams had some missed calls. I don’t think anyone has much to complain about…the game was won and lost because of mistakes on both sides. Boston got away and made some boneheaded mistakes at the end…Miami didn’t play to the whistle…got caught ball watching. 

Oh, agree. The Celtics got some bad whistles in the early 3rd, the Heat got some in the early 4th, but overall that wasn't really an impact. 

Just saying Heat Twitter has been going nuts about the refs since the game ended, calling the last couple minutes rigged by the NBA, which doesn't really make sense because Jimmy got a ton of calls the last couple minutes. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Oh, agree. The Celtics got some bad whistles in the early 3rd, the Heat got some in the early 4th, but overall that wasn't really an impact. 

Just saying Heat Twitter has been going nuts about the refs since the game ended, calling the last couple minutes rigged by the NBA, which doesn't really make sense because Jimmy got a ton of calls the last couple minutes. 

Oh I’m sure. Local radio down here will be crying on Monday I’m sure. Probably not best to go to either Twitter page to get much objectivity lol. I mean when the Pacers were playing the Bulls back in the day…yeah I probably wasn’t wanting to objective either lol. Going back to the Pats mauling the Colts receivers running their routes as well…I was not a guy to sit next to while watching. I’ve tried to temper myself as I watch stuff now…especially pro sports but man the college stuff with how poor the officiating is it’s very very tough though.

The problem with the message boards and Twitter is it’s just an echo chamber of what you believe because everyone is on your side in stuff like this. You don’t get a lot of perspective. I do kinda like the nba and nfl threads because not everyone is pulling for the same teams…so it’s interesting to get all view points on some of this stuff.

Edited by dgambill

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Can't believe how much more a person can be objective when watching a game you have no team in the fight. Watching my teams play live I can't be objective and think we get hosed every game.  I watch old games of IU and when you watch it objectively it is not bad as we think.

I watched the final four game yesterday when we lost to Duke. All we Remember is how we got hosed all night by the refs. After watching it, the refs weren't as bad as I remember. In the first 15 minutes of the game Duke were called for 9 fouls and IU 4 and we were up 12. The last 25 was bad but not the sole reason for the loss. 

First I have not watched a whole game of this series but what I have watched the difference in the calls haven't been horrible.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Can't believe how much more a person can be objective when watching a game you have no team in the fight. Watching my teams play live I can't be objective and think we get hosed every game.  I watch old games of IU and when you watch it objectively it is not bad as we think.

I watched the final four game yesterday when we lost to Duke. All we Remember is how we got hosed all night by the refs. After watching it, the refs weren't as bad as I remember. In the first 15 minutes of the game Duke were called for 9 fouls and IU 4 and we were up 12. The last 25 was bad but not the sole reason for the loss. 

First I have not watched a whole game of this series but what I have watched the difference in the calls haven't been horrible.

Yeah if you watch the entirety of the games and even more so the entirety of the series you see that while there are stretches of calls that might favor a side or another (which usually mirrors momentum swings) on a whole it pretty well evens out.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Man, the NBA doesn't even care anymore. They're just messing with fans at this point 🤣

Probably going to end up like Game 6 where there were stretches that really favored both teams and will be a clown show the entire game. 

• Like 1

On 5/28/2023 at 4:26 PM, BGleas said:

Just make a few and shoot normal bad, not season high bad, and that game isn't even close. 

Coming back from 3-0 has never been done in the NBA...It has been done in the other 2 major sports that play a best of 7 series (hockey, baseball)...

The BOSTON Red Sox were the first to do it in MLB...

Just sayin'

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Coming back from 3-0 has never been done in the NBA...It has been done in the other 2 major sports that play a best of 7 series (hockey, baseball)...

The BOSTON Red Sox were the first to do it in MLB...

Just sayin'

Well, not going to happen if Miami keeps shooting 50% from 3 and Boston keeps shooting 19%. 

That's the difference in this entire game. Just insane how bad Boston is shooting and amazing guys like Caleb Martin and Gabe Vincent have been shooting. 

If Miami wins this, who would have thought Caleb Martin would be the best player on a team that won a 7-game Conference Finals series?!?!

Tony Brothers might have ended this game with that 4 point swing. 

TNT just showed the replays and Tatum 100000% didn't travel whatsoever and then on the other end Butler absolutely without question traveled and no call. 

Instead of 12 it became 16.