Dog, cat, something else, or nothing?

5 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Beautiful doberman! We had one growing up named Luke. He was a beautiful dog, but man he could clear a room with his farting. 

Was at my son’s while some contractors were installing countertops in his basement bar area. Sitting on the porch his cat decided to do her duty about 10 feet in front of me. Good thing they hadn’t picked the top up already, because they probably would’ve dropped it laughing when I ran off yelling at the cat”what did you have for breakfast, Mexican?”

• Haha 2

Got a new mare in the other day... We'd put about 140 lbs on the gelding we'd rescued, so we gave him to an older couple that was looking for a companion horse for their mare...

Consuela is a 20 year old Hanoverian who was a big time show girl a few years ago...still rideable, and my wife will be working her out, but she won't be jumping anything over 2'6...

PXL_20230128_174440113~2.jpg

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Got a new mare in the other day... We'd put about 140 lbs on the gelding we'd rescued, so we gave him to an older couple that was looking for a companion horse for their mare...

Consuela is a 20 year old Hanoverian who was a big time show girl a few years ago...still rideable, and my wife will be working her out, but she won't be jumping anything over 2'6...

PXL_20230128_174440113~2.jpg

My wife trained Paso Finos. Very high strung and some days she’d come home beat to hell. The owner had national champion horses, but could not see eye to eye with the head trainer. Fired him and wanted my wife to take over. Glad she said no.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I think I'm in trouble. Wife been talking a lot more frequently about getting another German Shepherd. Dragged me into an animal shelter this morning. Not sure she'll be able to say no when she sees a handsome one. 

Hope you guys can find one/rescue one from a shelter. I’m partial to all dogs, but a shelter dog is something else. When they realize that they are “free of that place,” they good so happy. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Hope you guys can find one/rescue one from a shelter. I’m partial to all dogs, but a shelter dog is something else. When they realize that they are “free of that place,” they good so happy. 

So true...

We've kinda been looking since our lab, Eris, passed away last year, but all of the shelters around here are filled with pit bulls and pit bull mixes... And many of them are broken from being made to fight...someone who's good about "being the alpha" might be ok adopting one, but anyone with children or older folks might want to proceed with caution... 

I don't get people sometimes... 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So true...

We've kinda been looking since our lab, Eris, passed away last year, but all of the shelters around here are filled with pit bulls and pit bull mixes... And many of them are broken from being made to fight...someone who's good about "being the alpha" might be ok adopting one, but anyone with children or older folks might want to proceed with caution... 

Yeah, it’s super sad to see these broken dogs. People are the absolute worst. We often do a Sat morning pickup of foster kittens in the city at 6am and it’s just van after van of dogs being picked up for fostering. They’ve been crammed in a van from somewhere for days, and then they are being picked up by kind people here to try to get them adopted. Some of them are terrified, some of them seem relieved, I always hope for the best for them.

I often think we don’t deserve dogs. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So true...

Amen, brother.    

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

So true...

Our guy is a rescue from a puppy mill. We couldn’t be happier. He has some issues that we are working on, but he’s really smart and wants to please.

We have never owned a rescue but I don’t know that I would ever not own one in the future 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Our guy is a rescue from a puppy mill. We couldn’t be happier. He has some issues that we are working on, but he’s really smart and wants to please.

We have never owned a rescue but I don’t know that I would ever not own one in the future 

Our dachshund is a breeder surrendered to a rescue org in Texas. Like a lot of shelter dogs from the south they then end up here in the North. She was in a white van with like 30 other dogs for three days. Was a complete nervous mess when we got her, but she’s living the charmed life now. She does still have some trust issues around others - you can tell she was abused at some point. 

• Like 1

On 2/25/2023 at 4:24 PM, Lostin76 said:

On 2/25/2023 at 4:53 PM, IUFLA said:

So true...

A lot of pits / pit mixes up here as well.

I'm kind of enjoying being dog free. It's been about a year since our last GS passed. He was a rescue. About 8 when we got him and was with us maybe 4 years.  He was definitely a handful. Imagine an ornery, old man- as a german shepherd. I think he bit everyone in the family except for me. A lot of medical issues his last year.  With that said, we will almost certainly adopt another GS. Unless we come across a Belgian Malinois? I'd prefer a younger one- maybe 3-5 years old this time. I'd prefer to wait until next spring as well. We'll see how that goes... My wife is putting together ideas to make our next home more dog friendly. A dog wash station in the garage, covered dog run with access to the house...

The one thing that gets me is the applications these places have. Last time we had applied at a half dozen or so. Just so you are on their list if and when the right one comes in. Even though we have a history of owning German Shepherds, and are willing to take on more difficult cases, they still put you through the wringer. Some didn't like that we didn't have a fenced yard. Isn't it better to take the dog for a walk instead of just let it loose in the back yard? And then my wife tells the guy at the last shelter, we are ok with difficult dogs. That's not something you want to tell these people. They will get a nice well adjusted dog and pass on calling us so they can use us for their problem dog. Great!

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Reacher said:

A lot of pits / pit mixes up here as well.

I'm kind of enjoying being dog free. It's been about a year since our last GS passed. He was a rescue. About 8 when we got him and was with us maybe 4 years.  He was definitely a handful. Imagine an ornery, old man- as a german shepherd. I think he bit everyone in the family except for me. A lot of medical issues his last year.  With that said, we will almost certainly adopt another GS. Unless we come across a Belgian Malinois? I'd prefer a younger one- maybe 3-5 years old this time. I'd prefer to wait until next spring as well. We'll see how that goes... My wife is putting together ideas to make our next home more dog friendly. A dog wash station in the garage, covered dog run with access to the house...

The one thing that gets me is the applications these places have. Last time we had applied at a half dozen or so. Just so you are on their list if and when the right one comes in. Even though we have a history of owning German Shepherds, and are willing to take on more difficult cases, they still put you through the wringer. Some didn't like that we didn't have a fenced yard. Isn't it better to take the dog for a walk instead of just let it loose in the back yard? And then my wife tells the guy at the last shelter, we are ok with difficult dogs. That's not something you want to tell these people. They will get a nice well adjusted dog and pass on calling us so they can use us for their problem dog. Great!

I get why these organizations have so many hoops to jump through, but man they sure make it difficult sometimes. A lot of NYS places won’t adopt out to anyone in the city. We have a huge outdoor terrace, and in our building we have a dog wash station, a massive back yard, AND a separate fenced in building-only dog run.. We also have Prospect Park less than a mile from our house - it’s like Central Park but better. But still so many orgs just ghosted us when we said we lived in Brooklyn. 

I like the way your wife thinks with the covered dog run - with house access!

• Like 1

So, my pup Bailey has discovered echoes. I’m out on the deck grilling and he’s with me. Darned if there’s not another dog over there somewhere, that doesn’t sound exactly like him. The sound across the water is bouncing back right at him, and I know he thinks he’s “talking to “ somebody out there.

Gonna be an interesting summer!🥹

• Haha 2

image.thumb.jpeg.9fe0fe5d537b8a184e6ee33354fbef08.jpeg

We got Bailey some Peanut Butter CBD treats in an effort for a calmer puppy. Some days, he eats them right away. Other days, like today, he “hides”them… under tables, behind couch cushions, in sliding door tracks. He’s placed this one against the wall behind my recliner. Very out of the way…

Guess my dog has his “stash “ and doesn’t want anyone else finding it 😛😛😂

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

A42F05DC-379F-4E60-9730-1F8FC0AADB65.thumb.jpeg.dccaf411616f003111a5bcdeb20c82ab.jpeg

So those that know my Akita Yukio passed last Wednesday morning at the house after 2 1/2 days of critical care. It was very traumatic for us. That Saturday we made the decision to go to the Expo center in Louisville to a dog show that just happen to be going on. We didnt know if it was going to be a good idea or not but this is what happened...We went to just look at different breeds for the future

we looked at different breeds, but of course the Akitas catch my eye and i seen "Yukio" and lost my shit in front of everyone... i went over across the rings to him and he saw me and came running into my arms and cruel up on me and the lady was older about 80... she been doing for 35 yrs and she didnt care cause if Pain wanted me that bad she wasnt going to stop him... after i got my shit together i explained it all... well Khy and Autumn showed up and then other Akitas as well it was their turn to be shown. she had about 5 or 6 she was showing and only 2 girls running them so she asked me to take the ones that werent in ring until they were ready and help switch out with the girls... she could tell i was good with them and they all loved me.. i knew their "spots", lol... she whispered later and said I have a 4 month old girl in RV if interested... of course we were hesitant but she said the price and we were like lets go look... so i helped take the other dogs out to RV and when she came out she jumped into my arms .. then Khys and it was over...she wasnt planning on selling her and her Daughter in law wasnt too happy about it but they both knew she was going to a good home and since we had experience they didnt mind..
I wasnt even embrassed... i mean i was balling on the dog and he was just head hugging me hard, But when Autumn was telling the person others were balling as well.
The owner said she was surprised about the whole thing cause hes very standoffish and kinda aggressive to strangers but he acted like i was his best friend. Shes 4 months and cant be shown cause her ear got hurt by a big male. They were going to use in their breeding program but I guess she felt our need was greater. She basically gave her go us honestly. Changed our whole world. Went to inlaws that after noon and tonight having a big party with kids to welcome her. Crazy turn of events that I swear Yukio had a part of. 

E95EA0E3-37EC-4F8B-8F5F-95C8F6346446.thumb.jpeg.10ec9295c93a315b0acc1a1440d6ae91.jpegB85D85C6-2E97-45CB-8B7D-E4F4B0F8C8B5.thumb.jpeg.90ce7d43516845e57a187cb33e9fca14.jpeg

Thank you to everyone who supported me last week. I need it.

• Like 7

On 3/11/2023 at 9:25 AM, Steubenhoosier said:

image.thumb.jpeg.9fe0fe5d537b8a184e6ee33354fbef08.jpeg

We got Bailey some Peanut Butter CBD treats in an effort for a calmer puppy. Some days, he eats them right away. Other days, like today, he “hides”them… under tables, behind couch cushions, in sliding door tracks. He’s placed this one against the wall behind my recliner. Very out of the way…

Guess my dog has his “stash “ and doesn’t want anyone else finding it 😛😛😂

Does that work?