Dog, cat, something else, or nothing?

I cant do snakes(unless used in a practical joke) but lizards on the other hand are my reptile of choice. Had an iguana as a kid and thinking about getting a bearder dragon in the future. Used to capture and keep salamanders as pets, although an amphibian and not a reptile.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I cant do snakes(unless used in a practical joke) but lizards on the other hand are my reptile of choice. Had an iguana as a kid and thinking about getting a bearder dragon in the future. Used to capture and keep salamanders as pets, although an amphibian and not a reptile.  

I inherited a bearded dragon when I married my wife. All I can say is make sure that you are close to a pet store that carries mealworms. It became a hassle showing up the day they got their worm deliveries to insure I got some. 

• Like 1

20190824_182933.jpg

IUFLA and I kind of sidetracked the landscaping thread when we started talking about dogs.  So... I thought I would bring it here. Pic is of his daughter, who is a dog trainer, and her two great dogs.

We talked about Great Danes.  And I mentioned they think they are lap dogs :

Great Dane Lapdog 

Other big dogs that think they are lap dogs as well :

178 Dogs Who Don't Understand How BIG They Are And Think They're Lap Dogs 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

We talked about Great Danes.  And I mentioned they think they are lap dogs :

The dog pictured with my daughter, Dom, definitely thinks he's a lap dog. Sits on my lap whenever I go to visit.

He was a guy she rescued, who his owner said, was unmanageable. 

Within a month he was one of the most well behaved dogs I've ever been around. Just goes to show what she always tells me...

"It is rarely the dog that's the problem." 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The dog pictured with my daughter, Dom, definitely thinks he's a lap dog. Sits on my lap whenever I go to visit.

Within a month he was one of the most well behaved dogs I've ever been around. Just goes to show what she always tells me...

Her statement is so true. When I attended IU, I worked as a dog trainer at Petsmart for my last two years.

I flat out told people, "I'm not training your dog. I'm training you. Your dog is easy. You, not so much."

A lot of people didn't want to hear that, but if they stuck with the class they realized that their consistency was the key.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Thanks for sharing that story.  I love dogs.  And though we have never owned a Great Dane.  Have been around enough of them to know they are wonderful dogs. People should not be intimidated by their size.  Love the fact that your daughter rescued that big love.  The owner who gave Dom up, probably was intimidated when Dom tried sit on his/her lap. Personally feel that is one of the things that make Great Danes great.

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Amen to the that!

Unfortunately, the house across the road is a rental and it seems almost every tenants idea of raising a dog since we live in the boondocks is to just let their dog, dogs run free?😖

15 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Her statement is so true. When I attended IU, I worked as a dog trainer at Petsmart for my last two years.

I flat out told people, "I'm not training your dog. I'm training you. Your dog is easy. You, not so much."

A lot of people didn't want to hear that, but if they stuck with the class they realized that their consistency was the key.

She's very patient with the animals, and with the people, for the most part...but she has actually dropped clients telling them, "you don't deserve this dog."

She's kinda feisty and straightforward...

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

She's very patient with the animals, and with the people, for the most part...but she has actually dropped clients telling them, "you don't deserve this dog."

She's kinda feisty and straightforward...

I would imagine the animals are easier to deal with?

Edited by mrflynn03

11 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I would imagine the animals are easier to deal with?

She's only turned one dog away that I remember. She went to this couple's house to assess a Saint Bernard they'd owned for 2 years. They had him behind a kiddie gate when she came in and it was going nuts. As she sat on the couch it busted through the gate and tried to bite the back of her head. The guy was able to subdue it before it really hurt her...

She told me that once a dog thinks it's the alpha, as was that case, it's very difficult to change the behavior. And with a dog that big, it can be dangerous...

They had the dog put down a couple of days later...

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, IUFLA said:

So we brought in a trainer for our first Boxer several years ago, Dixie. Fantastic dog but, well, not manageable lol. At one point the trainer didn’t see that I was a few feet away within ear shot. I hear him mutter, “Jesus this dog is impossible.” Haha. 

It's funny how animals are...on one hand, they're so "ordered" it's not funny. They all figure out the pecking order pretty quickly, and it's stays that way until some challenges the leader.

We have 2 gelding horses and a mare. The mare (who has Secretariat in her bloodlines) is the unquestioned leader. 

One of the geldings is a hard-head. He'll mess with her about once every 6 months. She'll kick the living crap out of him, and things will be ok for another 6 months...

But, by the same token, the mare is very sweet to me and my wife. Perfect ground manners and very smart. 

The 2 gelding want to show their hind-end on occasion when we have them on lead ropes, and get swatted for it. Dummies...

14 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Amen to the that!

Unfortunately, the house across the road is a rental and it seems almost every tenants idea of raising a dog since we live in the boondocks is to just let their dog, dogs run free?😖

On my first bike ride this year, I was bit by a pit bull that was allowed to run loose by some people living in a rental. Dog was quarantined for 10 days at the local shelter as owners claimed that they couldn't keep it under control. Fortunately for me, the dog was not rabid. Owners have given the dog away. I still won't ride past the house as they have had other dogs they allow to run loose as well.

15 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

On my first bike ride this year, I was bit by a pit bull that was allowed to run loose by some people living in a rental. Dog was quarantined for 10 days at the local shelter as owners claimed that they couldn't keep it under control. Fortunately for me, the dog was not rabid. Owners have given the dog away. I still won't ride past the house as they have had other dogs they allow to run loose as well.

My son was bit by a pit bull when riding his bike as well. Maybe around 10 years old. Has left him skittish of dogs ever since. 

32 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

So we brought in a trainer for our first Boxer several years ago, Dixie. Fantastic dog but, well, not manageable lol. At one point the trainer didn’t see that I was a few feet away within ear shot. I hear him mutter, “Jesus this dog is impossible.” Haha. 

When we adopted our current German Shepherd, we brought a trainer into our home. We think the dog was trained in another language and didn't recognize the name the shelter gave him very well. The puppy class at Petsmart didn't seem like a good option.. He was a smart dog and relearned everything rather quickly. Think the trainer only came twice.