PGA/General Golf

Seeking6

Can't believe another season is already here. Hard not to like Rahm this week or Cantlay. I'm going Taylor Montgomery in some of my entries with Andrew Putnam. So much darn talent out there it just keeps harder and harder to win.

On a side note. I noticed LIV tour is going to stream on CW App on Friday's and TV on weekends. Two things for me on this. CW is still owned (12.5%) by CBS which seems odd a PGA Tour partner is partnering with them. Secondly...now that they'll be on TV it will be interesting to see what their ratings will be....no more stream only debate of whether people are interested or not. 

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

The one thing that twitter handle failed to mention is that Youtube has 2.6 Billion users and  LIV had miniscule numbers. 

Assuming the data is correct where the assumption is that the target golf audience is older who don't stream....certainly CW could help but 2.6 Billion vs 122M is still a far stretch. Time will tell. I don't remember a show I've ever watched on CW honestly though. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

The one thing that twitter handle failed to mention is that Youtube has 2.6 Billion users and  LIV had miniscule numbers. 

Assuming the data is correct where the assumption is that the target golf audience is older who don't stream....certainly CW could help but 2.6 Billion vs 122M is still a far stretch. Time will tell. I don't remember a show I've ever watched on CW honestly though. 

They will still be on youtube, smart TV apple TV, android TV fire stick, ruku, plus many more for free.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I'm not even going to open and read anything from the press club. They need to clean their own house before talking about others.

5 hours ago, Indykev said:

I'm not even going to open and read anything from the press club. They need to clean their own house before talking about others.

I read it, but I obviously don't understand the dynamics enough to take a side.  The gist of the story is that I guess the CW is affiliated with some journalist group and that the Saudi's both back LIV and kill journalists.   As a result, journalists are upset.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Not sure if Phil or @Indykevis more salty towards the PGA. Maybe Kev is running Phil's twitter?

I'm salty because of the way the Tour treats people. Seen it for 30 years. plus. I dont like Phil so its not I. lol. I do stand with Phil on his right to play where ever he wants. 50 tour wins should get you that.

2 hours ago, Indykev said:

I'm salty because of the way the Tour treats people. Seen it for 30 years. plus. I dont like Phil so its not I. lol. I do stand with Phil on his right to play where ever he wants. 50 tour wins should get you that.

Just giving you a hard time bud.

I respect your opinion on this a lot, I know you’ve lived it.

Besides, I think joggers on the golf course look great. Ryder just picked an ugly color. 

59 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I know Steven very well. I dont know Sam, I never worked any Champions Tour events. Lost a lot of friends that caddied over the years to awful diseases. Bruce Edwards and Greg Rita, 2 great caddies, come to mind. We talked at one time about being around all the golf course chemicals daily if that may have something to do with it. Hell i've seen caddies lick golf balls to clean them, lol. Walking around with used tee's in their mouths. Not a smart bunch at the end of the day....lol.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Indykev said:

I know Steven very well. I dont know Sam, I never worked any Champions Tour events. Lost a lot of friends that caddied over the years to awful diseases. Bruce Edwards and Greg Rita, 2 great caddies, come to mind. We talked at one time about being around all the golf course chemicals daily if that may have something to do with it. Hell i've seen caddies lick golf balls to clean them, lol. Walking around with used tee's in their mouths. Not a smart bunch at the end of the day....lol.

You're making me think about how much I do those things when I golf now. Obviously not every day, but I'm sure direct injections of roundup in my mouth aren't great. 

• Like 2

Can't believe I'm saying this but Pebble Beach needs a shakeup. Either the event, 3 round cut line/pro am stuff or move the date to get a better field. Iconic venue that seems like just another tourney anymore.

There is one positive to come out of this week which sucks for others. With play being postponed and a likely Monday finish....that means the guys who are trying to qualify for Phoenix next week on Monday won't have several guys competing vs them. No way they WD from a payday to get to Phoenix to try and make tourney next week.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Can't believe I'm saying this but Pebble Beach needs a shakeup. Either the event, 3 round cut line/pro am stuff or move the date to get a better field. Iconic venue that seems like just another tourney anymore.

There is one positive to come out of this week which sucks for others. With play being postponed and a likely Monday finish....that means the guys who are trying to qualify for Phoenix next week on Monday won't have several guys competing vs them. No way they WD from a payday to get to Phoenix to try and make tourney next week.

I’m honestly not a huge fan of the Pro Am. Love Pebble, but would much rather watch a tournament there on a gorgeous June day than a windy February day.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I’m honestly not a huge fan of the Pro Am. Love Pebble, but would much rather watch a tournament there on a gorgeous June day than a windy February day.

They would kill that golf course on a Gorgeous June day unless it was set up for a US Open. Fast fairways and no wind you would have a few scores in the 50's. We hit 4 iron in the middle of the 18th green in 2 at the 2000 US Open. Today that would be 7 iron.

That being said, I hated the Tournament. Weather sucks, Some AM's thinks its the US Open. Just  guessing clubs. Hit 4 iron on 7 one year, plays 120 down hill. The ball was over the green, out over the ocean and the wind blew it back to the middle of the green. one of the crazies shots still today i've ever seen. We get to 9 green and its blowing so hard the flag is touching the ground while still in the hole. Almost forgot 6, the par 5. Hitting 3rd shots and still couldnt get it up the hill to the 2nd fairway. guys were hitting it half way up the hill in 6 inch rough on purpose. We made a 12 there. They ended up washing out that round and started over. One of 2 times i can ever remember the Tour doing that. Fun times.

• Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, Indykev said:

They would kill that golf course on a Gorgeous June day unless it was set up for a US Open. Fast fairways and no wind you would have a few scores in the 50's. We hit 4 iron in the middle of the 18th green in 2 at the 2000 US Open. Today that would be 7 iron.

That being said, I hated the Tournament. Weather sucks, Some AM's thinks its the US Open. Just  guessing clubs. Hit 4 iron on 7 one year, plays 120 down hill. The ball was over the green, out over the ocean and the wind blew it back to the middle of the green. one of the crazies shots still today i've ever seen. We get to 9 green and its blowing so hard the flag is touching the ground while still in the hole. Almost forgot 6, the par 5. Hitting 3rd shots and still couldnt get it up the hill to the 2nd fairway. guys were hitting it half way up the hill in 6 inch rough on purpose. We made a 12 there. They ended up washing out that round and started over. One of 2 times i can ever remember the Tour doing that. Fun times.

Tiger's  7 iron out of 4 inch rough on 6 from 205 yards was the shot in 2000 that sealed it for me and probably changed the game forever. In terms of physical fitness, weights, etc....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tiger off the first tee. Just good to see him out there again. He said on Tuesday he hasn't wrapped his brain around the idea of playing tourneys just to play as an ambassador of golf. He says when he plays he's playing to win. 

No clue if we'll ever see a fully healthy Tiger again. Still seeing a bit of a limp. Oh well just enjoy greatness as long as we can.

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

No clue if we'll ever see a fully healthy Tiger again. Still seeing a bit of a limp. Oh well just enjoy greatness as long as we can.

Big Cat went birdie, birdie, birdie to end today. Outdrove Rory and JT multiple times today. He’s still got the talent, only question is the health.

That threesome was as good of Thursday golf as we will see, sans a Major. Loved every second of it. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Big Cat went birdie, birdie, birdie to end today. Outdrove Rory and JT multiple times today. He’s still got the talent, only question is the health.

That threesome was as good of Thursday golf as we will see, sans a Major. Loved every second of it. 

Admittedly I'm not into swing/ball speed as the be all but I did notice his average ball speed was 180 yesterday which is significantly higher than last year at Masters. Now if he can just make it 4 days on the ankle/foot. Always a fun tourney to watch.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Admittedly I'm not into swing/ball speed as the be all but I did notice his average ball speed was 180 yesterday which is significantly higher than last year at Masters. Now if he can just make it 4 days on the ankle/foot. Always a fun tourney to watch.

100%. He has been saying for a few months his swing and game is where it needs to be, just a matter of holding up for four days on the bum ankle and foot. Yesterday that looked to be true. 

• Like 1

Before Payne Stewart took over as my favorite golfer Calvin Peete held that role. No clue why honestly I just liked him.

Really good article on him, his broken arm and his insane accuracy. Trevino called him Xerox because it was just the same thing over and over again. He played in 1200 rounds and only had 1 ball go OB. 1. 

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/calvin-peete-broken-arm-accuracy-ball-striker?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=golfdigest