Weather events

Reacher

We are getting crazy winds here in Brooklyn this morning. I had to bring in some flowers and plants that I planted over the weekend, b/c they were being battered to death.

Was texting with my Dad who lives in Southern Indiana and he was out working all weekend b/c of weather. He has been a lineman all his life and now supervises crews.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Reacher said:

Thanks for that link.  It's not unusual for us along the front range of Colorado to get snow in May.  In fact our two snowiest months of the year are April and May. 

Global warming.  LOL

30 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

^^^its my fault. Finally had time to get my garden and flowers planted this past monday. Now freezing temps tomorrow night. 

I am the embodiment of Murphy's law.  

I already told my wife that I will be bringing in my peppers and tomatoes from the terrace for Friday and Sat. nights. Our living room is probably the size of most people's bathrooms, so that will be fun.

8 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

I already told my wife that I will be bringing in my peppers and tomatoes from the terrace for Friday and Sat. nights. Our living room is probably the size of most people's bathrooms, so that will be fun.

I have some stuff to bring in too, and will cover the garden. Not as small as yours but my house is 940 sq ft. Its only for a day or 2 though. 

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

^^^its my fault. Finally had time to get my garden and flowers planted this past monday. Now freezing temps tomorrow night. 

I am the embodiment of Murphy's law.  

The general rule is to plant around Mother's Day.  We learned several years back, the hard way, to not go by the Mother's Day rule in the front range of Colorado. Now, we wait at least one week after Mother's Day to do our serious planting.

If you have any tarps or buckets, you can always cover your flowers over night. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

The general rule is to plant around Mother's Day.  We learned several years back, the hard way, to not go by the Mother's Day rule in the front range of Colorado. Now, we wait at least one week after Mother's Day to do our serious planting.

If you have any tarps or buckets, you can always cover your flowers over night. 

Living in the southern part of Indiana this is the first time I can remember freezing temps in May.

Will be covering garden, about 20'x30', and flowers when I get off work tomorrow.  

23 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Just brought in six big pots of tomatoes and four of peppers. Awfully crowded in here, but at least the plants are safe! That's one advantage of container gardening, I guess.

I guess the one positive is if people lose their potted plants....it's still early enough to fire them back up again. Indy broke a 149 year old record this morning with lows around 28. I've been working outside quite a bit this spring and it's a weird feeling to be sunburned and cold at the same time. Last time this happened I was skiing at Vail....hope the plants survived too!

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I guess the one positive is if people lose their potted plants....it's still early enough to fire them back up again. Indy broke a 149 year old record this morning with lows around 28. I've been working outside quite a bit this spring and it's a weird feeling to be sunburned and cold at the same time. Last time this happened I was skiing at Vail....hope the plants survived too!

24 here this morning...fingers crossed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

It only got down to 36 here last night. Crazy that you guys went so low!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Very windy in Colorado on Saturday.  Most of metro Denver saw constant winds of 70-80 mph.  Wind hit 110 mph at Winter Park. 

Ummm....wow. Sustained winds of 70-80 mph??? Any reason or explanation or just one of Mother Nature's moves?? Thanks for sharing. Never would have known.

55 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Ummm....wow. Sustained winds of 70-80 mph??? Any reason or explanation or just one of Mother Nature's moves?? Thanks for sharing. Never would have known.

No clue as to the reason why. I had winds at 78 mph at my house. Lost a few leaves off the tree out front. However there were many felled trees through out the Denver metro area.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

It's called "derecho."

I'd never heard of such before I read the linked article...

I'm a weather fan/buff so I've heard the term. Indiana, Chicagoland, and most of Midwest had a series of them in 2011-13 which is the only reason I knew the term. Scary, scary stuff because the sustained winds can cause so much more damage.

I pulled up Wiki page with link to show you how rare they are. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_derecho_events

Edited by Seeking6
  • Like 1