Archie posted this pic on Twitter this morning

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

...and Tom Coverdale.

Ran into him at Crooked Stick a couple years ago at BMW tourney. I thanked him for 02. He was surprised people still think of that. With that said....and on the subject of personal appearance....my man is hitting the Chinese #1 Buffet often. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Ran into him at Crooked Stick a couple years ago at BMW tourney. I thanked him for 02. He was surprised people still think of that. With that said....and on the subject of personal appearance....my man is hitting the Chinese #1 Buffet often. 

Tom will always be one of my favorite Hoosier heroes for the gutty performance he gave on a very gimpy ankle in that tourney run, but I'm not above noticing that he's packed it on even better than I have over the years.

Hoosierhysterics latest podcast an absolute listen for a Hoosier fan.  It gives you such a behind the scenes inside look at IU basketball. Unbelievable info. Must listen. One of the guys attended the fantasy bball camp last weekend and speaks to all the work Archie and the staff are doing to bring the Hoosier Nation back together. 

26 minutes ago, RJPaisley said:

Hoosierhysterics latest podcast an absolute listen for a Hoosier fan.  It gives you such a behind the scenes inside look at IU basketball. Unbelievable info. Must listen. One of the guys attended the fantasy bball camp last weekend and speaks to all the work Archie and the staff are doing to bring the Hoosier Nation back together. 

this is why I think if we are patient with Archie he will get the job done.

57 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

this is why I think if we are patient with Archie he will get the job done.

Completely agree! Clearly there are no guarantees, we don't know how successful or unsuccessful he'll be, but IMO there is no doubt that Archie 'gets it'. 

Since Archie took over, he's retained Elston, 7 of his 8 (8 of 9 if you count Brunk) verbal commits/signings have been from either Indiana or the greater midwest (Hunter/Ohio & Race/Minnesota), he's hired a former player as an assistant in Mike Roberts, and he added one of his former players, a Bloomington native (Joeger), to the staff as a graduate assistant to presumably groom him as a coach. 

Again, none of this guarantees championships or Final Fours, but IMO it shows that Archie not only gets how to build a program but he gets how to build a culture. I understand the results on the court have been mixed, and there are valid reasons for that, but Archie flatout gets it. I think it will pay off if the fanbase can just be patient. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Completely agree! Clearly there are no guarantees, we don't know how successful or unsuccessful he'll be, but IMO there is no doubt that Archie 'gets it'. 

Since Archie took over, he's retained Elston, 7 of his 8 (8 of 9 if you count Brunk) verbal commits/signings have been from either Indiana or the greater midwest (Hunter/Ohio & Race/Minnesota), he's hired a former player as an assistant in Mike Roberts, and he added one of his former players, a Bloomington native (Joeger), to the staff as a graduate assistant to presumably groom him as a coach. 

Again, none of this guarantees championships or Final Fours, but IMO it shows that Archie not only gets how to build a program but he gets how to build a culture. I understand the results on the court have been mixed, and there are valid reasons for that, but Archie flatout gets it. I think it will pay off if the fanbase can just be patient. 

What would be nice is to see former players coming back and being more of a part of the program.  You see at places like UNC and Duke where you see a lot of former players coming back for games and talking with the team.  I would like to see the program bring back the former players and try to mend any hurt feelings they might have

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

What would be nice is to see former players coming back and being more of a part of the program.  You see at places like UNC and Duke where you see a lot of former players coming back for games and talking with the team.  I would like to see the program bring back the former players and try to mend any hurt feelings they might have

Agree. I think that's already happening. I've heard numerous former players speak of communicating with Archie and having an open invitation. I think hosting this Oladipo camp is also a step in that direction. Pat Graham mentioned speaking with Archie, I've seen it posted that Archie and Moye communicate almost weekly, and I've heard others talk on it as well. 

But yes, agree you'd love to see those guys and even further back around the program as much as possible. One thing I love about Duke is how their assistant bench is basically a training ground of former players. I'd love for Archie to establish that kind of culture. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree. I think that's already happening. I've heard numerous former players speak of communicating with Archie and having an open invitation. I think hosting this Oladipo camp is also a step in that direction. Pat Graham mentioned speaking with Archie, I've seen it posted that Archie and Moye communicate almost weekly, and I've heard others talk on it as well. 

But yes, agree you'd love to see those guys and even further back around the program as much as possible. One thing I love about Duke is how their assistant bench is basically a training ground of former players. I'd love for Archie to establish that kind of culture. 

I listened to an interview with Greg Graham earlier this summer and he said he would love to get in contact with Archie but had not heard from him.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I listened to an interview with Greg Graham earlier this summer and he said he would love to get in contact with Archie but had not heard from him.

I mean, that's a tough one. Archie has 100's of former players to try and establish relationships with. I get where Graham is coming from, but if he wants a relationship and a contact with Archie, it's a two street. 

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

This isn't a shot at Greg, but Archie can't possibly begin to initiate a contact with every IU bball alum.  If Greg attempts to contact Archie and gets no response then that's a bad look for Archie but I think it's too much for Greg to expect Archie to make the first call.  

Also, it does appear that we are seeing more of the former players making visits to Bloomington and interacting with the current regime.  The new signing wall which  has already been signed by Vic, Calbert and Brian Evans is a good start to re-connecting as well.  And adding a former player to the coaching staff can't be viewed as a negative.

1 minute ago, IU4Ever said:

This isn't a shot at Greg, but Archie can't possibly begin to initiate a contact with every IU bball alum.  If Greg attempts to contact Archie and gets no response then that's a bad look for Archie but I think it's too much for Greg to expect Archie to make the first call.  

Also, it does appear that we are seeing more of the former players making visits to Bloomington and interacting with the current regime.  The new signing wall which  has already been signed by Vic, Calbert and Brian Evans is a good start to re-connecting as well.

I totally agree and hopefully we wills see a lot of players back for the games.  it would be nice if they could have something setup for Hoosier hysteria where they bring former players back for that event.

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I've seen it posted that Archie and Moye communicate almost weekly

Archie needs to load up the video of AJ stuffing Boozer and show it to every recruit that comes through, replete with the crowd shots and IU Alum Dick Enberg's play by play...If that play doesn't inspire a kid to be a Hoosier, nothing will...

AJ has the heart of a lion...

Just now, IUFLA said:

Archie needs to load up the video of AJ stuffing Boozer and show it to every recruit that comes through, replete with the crowd shots and IU Alum Dick Enberg's play by play...If that play doesn't inspire a kid to be a Hoosier, nothing will...

AJ has the heart of a lion...

I believe the IU BBall account posted the clip in the last week or two on Twitter as a Throwback Thursday post. 

A committee has recently been formed with a focus on reaching out and maintaining contact with former basketball players.  Bill Comar is on the committee.  One objective is developing a newsletter that will be sent out keeping all parties up to date with the program.  This is a big step in meshing the illustrious past with what is hopefully a bright future.  I heard all this today on the Hoosier Hysterics podcast.

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Listen to the podcast. They talk about a committee that has been formed to facilitate this.  They also discuss that Vic was the one behind doing this fantasy bball camp last  weekend. 

2 hours ago, RJPaisley said:

Can you or someone else link this?  The link I saw doesn't have anything beyond February.

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

I could easily see Jordan Hulls in a role like that.

5 hours ago, BGleas said:

...7 of his 8 (8 of 9 if you count Brunk) verbal commits/signings have been from either Indiana or the greater midwest...

A lot gets said about "Indiana players", but in RMK's heyday, there was almost always one player from IL and one player from OH, and in some cases multiple.  Indiana was ground zero, but Illinois and Ohio were very much core areas. 

These are nowhere near complete lists, but just the first examples I thought of:
IL: Buckner, Crews, Zeke, Grunwald, Wisman, Blab, Sloan
OH: May, Carter, Eyl, and several guys that were good but transferred: Calloway, Collier, Funderburke (not sure what that says about Ohio, but Knight didn't ignore it)

1 minute ago, Zlinedavid said:

A lot gets said about "Indiana players", but in RMK's heyday, there was almost always one player from IL and one player from OH, and in some cases multiple.  Indiana was ground zero, but Illinois and Ohio were very much core areas. 

These are nowhere near complete lists, but just the first examples I thought of:
OH: May, Carter, Eyl, and several guys that were good but transferred: Calloway, Collier, Funderburke (not sure what that says about Ohio, but Knight didn't ignore it)

Daryl Thomas was from Illinois as well.

4 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Granted. All great players.  I still would rather have Coach Miller's inside out approach to recruiting.  If that includes the best out of Illinois or Ohio. So be it. But Indiana... first.

Archived